SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

Actual money has nothing to do with this game. Building new MoCs will earn you in game currency which has various uses. You can use your older ones to progress the story of your character, you simply won't receive any of the in game currency for that past effort. That way everyone has an even opportunity at this starting period.

All you have to do to join is make a sig fig and post it in the faction's thread you decided to join. The advanced rules are for if you want to play the game component. Nobody is required to play the game, it just adds to the atmosphere and setting.

In fact, I suggest to anyone who is confused to just read the history and the faction pages, and just join the faction they prefer. You can pick up the game mechanics (if you want) as you go along. Plus, even if you don't play the game side of things, you are still helping create stories and making builds that go in our community's world. Then, if you want to do some of the "game" stuff later, you can just start doing it when you are comfortable.

BTW, I can use relevant GoH builds for this, right? Because that would increase my activity tremendously.

With most participants being regular GoH members as well this would not make any sense at all. So no, please build something new, do not just modify!

congrats on finally launching this thing! I'll try to participate as much as I can, already signed up for Oleon.

I have a couple questions. I like the game mechanics, but even after reading through all the material twice I'm a little confused. If I'm starting out from the very beginning and want to build and register a Chinese Junk like this one, what do I need to do? And what would I need to do to make sure it falls under the "free" category?

Also, if I want to build a 32x32 fort, what do I need to do? Does there have to be a 16x16 version of it first? And what's the best way to find a good strategic spot to build the fort?

Lastly, if I do get a boat built, registered, and approved. How can I send it on a Bounty Seeker mission? Do I have to have at least 2 other players with me to go on a Bounty Seeker mission? And how soon could I go on this mission?

I know partial answers to these questions, but I figured it be easier for someone to answer from the top since I'm sure others have the same questions :pir-grin:

You could build a junk like that, but I'm guessing it would fall in the 3 range, and since 1 and 2 are the free ones, you would have to pay for the licence (200 DB, see the chart in the Building Ships... thread, where junks and barges are the last vessels mentioned under 3). So if you wanted a free licence you would have to build a sloop, cutter, galley, row boat, or some other thing falling in the 1 to 2 range. To earn the money needed to licence the junk you could post your sig-fig and a background story and vig, free-build a few times in the course of the next couple of months, etc, etc. Of course, you are allowed to build the ship first, and then build up the money needed to licence it.

Yes, if you want to have a medium size fort, you will first need to pay the licence for a small, and then pay the licence to upgrade to a medium. I'm not sure if you have to MOC the small fort if you immediately intend to upgrade it to a medium - I'm supposing you probably would, but I'll leave Ska to give the final answer. As the primary purpose of a fort is to protect plantations/factories/cities/etc in its vicinity, a strategic place for a fort would be the place it would offer the most protection to your property or the property of your faction. Again, I believe you can build the fort first, and then build up the capital needed to licence it if you don't have the money right away (though it obviously wouldn't afford any protection until it is licenced).

No, there is no problem bounty seeking all by your lonesome. All you have to do is enlist it in the MCRA (via the webform) before the end of the month (I believe the first MCRA will run during January, i.e., you will need to licence it before the end of January, and the results will probably posted around the beginning of February), so that would be the soonest you could go on your mission. Of course, you could just wait until February to licence your ship and sign it up for the MCRA if you wanted to :pir-wink:

Hope that all helps! :pir-classic:

You could build a junk like that, but I'm guessing it would fall in the 3 range, and since 1 and 2 are the free ones, you would have to pay for the licence (200 DB, see the chart in the Building Ships... thread, where junks and barges are the last vessels mentioned under 3). So if you wanted a free licence you would have to build a sloop, cutter, galley, row boat, or some other thing falling in the 1 to 2 range. To earn the money needed to licence the junk you could post your sig-fig and a background story and vig, free-build a few times in the course of the next couple of months, etc, etc. Of course, you are allowed to build the ship first, and then build up the money needed to licence it.

Yes, if you want to have a medium size fort, you will first need to pay the licence for a small, and then pay the licence to upgrade to a medium. I'm not sure if you have to MOC the small fort if you immediately intend to upgrade it to a medium - I'm supposing you probably would, but I'll leave Ska to give the final answer. As the primary purpose of a fort is to protect plantations/factories/cities/etc in its vicinity, a strategic place for a fort would be the place it would offer the most protection to your property or the property of your faction. Again, I believe you can build the fort first, and then build up the capital needed to licence it if you don't have the money right away (though it obviously wouldn't afford any protection until it is licenced).

No, there is no problem bounty seeking all by your lonesome. All you have to do is enlist it in the MCRA (via the webform) before the end of the month (I believe the first MCRA will run during January, i.e., you will need to licence it before the end of January, and the results will probably posted around the beginning of February), so that would be the soonest you could go on your mission. Of course, you could just wait until February to licence your ship and sign it up for the MCRA if you wanted to :pir-wink:

Hope that all helps! :pir-classic:

Very much so! I just have a little more I think I need clarified. To me, a Junk is the style of ship and can come in many sizes from the size of a yacht to a 10 gun ship. So could I build a smaller, Junk style ship and if so, what size limitations would I need to watch out for to keep in the Class 1 or 2 range? I.E. only 4 guns and no longer than 30 studs.

Very much so! I just have a little more I think I need clarified. To me, a Junk is the style of ship and can come in many sizes from the size of a yacht to a 10 gun ship. So could I build a smaller, Junk style ship and if so, what size limitations would I need to watch out for to keep in the Class 1 or 2 range? I.E. only 4 guns and no longer than 30 studs.

If you're going bounty seeking, you might want either an armed vessel or a well rounded vessel (since speed and trade capacity are probably not of such importance), in which case you would go for either a Class 2 A or a Class 2 WR. If you went for a Class 2 A licence you could have about 6 - 10 guns max and a maximum crew of about 10 as well. You could probably make that vessel a junk if you felt so inclined. See the chart for further info on what counts as a class 1 or 2 vessel.

Another way to get DBs -- post the ship MOC before licensing it! You can get 10DBs as a free build!

Ok, so those terms are guidelines, that's why we changed the names of each vessel type to the generic Class 1 T Vessel, to avoid confusion. A class 3 junk / barge was a special type of vesel with high trade capacity but limited range, this does not mean that you could not build a class 1 or 2 junk that uses the statistics of one of those other vessel types. Your junk can be a trader, a well rounded, a fast, or an armed vessel, that is up to you. For the game purposes, you decide which license you want to "buy" and play as, as long as the MOC itself generally seems like it could fit that vessel type.

Bottom line: Build what you want, figure what it can fit into, and get the license. I would suggest to people to build a smaller craft first so they can use the free license.

For the bounty run, you need just yourself, actually, for any run, you just need yourself! Bounty (as in treasure hunting or fishing) runs give exponentially more loot the more cargo space you have. So as Garm said, a well rounded vessel may be the best way to protect yourself and get a fair amount of booty. While a large trading vessel will allow you to get the most booty, it is more susceptible to being taken by the enemy.

I missed the fort questions... Ok, so you do technically have to have a small fort license before you buy a medium fort license, and so on. I think in the cases of forts, we might make an exception for having a MOC for the lower level -- although it would be cool to see the evolution of the fort from small to Royal, it may be impractical. We will talk it over among leadership and decide.

Another way to get DBs -- post the ship MOC before licensing it! You can get 10DBs as a free build!

Ok, so those terms are guidelines, that's why we changed the names of each vessel type to the generic Class 1 T Vessel, to avoid confusion. A class 3 junk / barge was a special type of vesel with high trade capacity but limited range, this does not mean that you could not build a class 1 or 2 junk that uses the statistics of one of those other vessel types. Your junk can be a trader, a well rounded, a fast, or an armed vessel, that is up to you. For the game purposes, you decide which license you want to "buy" and play as, as long as the MOC itself generally seems like it could fit that vessel type.

Bottom line: Build what you want, figure what it can fit into, and get the license. I would suggest to people to build a smaller craft first so they can use the free license.

For the bounty run, you need just yourself, actually, for any run, you just need yourself! Bounty (as in treasure hunting or fishing) runs give exponentially more loot the more cargo space you have. So as Garm said, a well rounded vessel may be the best way to protect yourself and get a fair amount of booty. While a large trading vessel will allow you to get the most booty, it is more susceptible to being taken by the enemy.

I missed the fort questions... Ok, so you do technically have to have a small fort license before you buy a medium fort license, and so on. I think in the cases of forts, we might make an exception for having a MOC for the lower level -- although it would be cool to see the evolution of the fort from small to Royal, it may be impractical. We will talk it over among leadership and decide.

Thanks for all the answers! In regards to the fort, really I just want to know if I build a 32x32 fort can I licence it under 16x16 and then just pay for the upgrade to 32x32, or do I need to build two different MOCs. And for placement of said fort, I know which islands each nation "owns," but I don't know the names of any cities. At this point does it not matter? I could just submit it (after having earned the DBs of course) and pick a location latter? For me it's more about knowing what kind of story to write with it and location is a big part of that.

Lastly, for licencing a ship the options have "sloop," "barge," etc. as options in the form, not Class 1 WR, Class 1 T, etc. Is that an oversight or do we need to have our ship classified as one of the listed options?

Thanks for all the answers! In regards to the fort, really I just want to know if I build a 32x32 fort can I licence it under 16x16 and then just pay for the upgrade to 32x32, or do I need to build two different MOCs. And for placement of said fort, I know which islands each nation "owns," but I don't know the names of any cities. At this point does it not matter? I could just submit it (after having earned the DBs of course) and pick a location latter? For me it's more about knowing what kind of story to write with it and location is a big part of that.

Lastly, for licencing a ship the options have "sloop," "barge," etc. as options in the form, not Class 1 WR, Class 1 T, etc. Is that an oversight or do we need to have our ship classified as one of the listed options?

OK - For the forts, that is a way better way to do this. We will change the rules so that you can "grow into" your fort. So yes, if you make a 32x32 you can start by buying the small fort license, and it would protect as if it was a small fort. Then, when you have the DBs to do so (or your faction wants an upgraded for at that location and wants to pay for it!) you can just buy the new license. That works very well, and I think we can probably put that rule in for any property.

As for location, for a fort you could put in anywhere on the map, the maps with grids are not up yet though. Which faction did you join? if it was Sea Rats or Eslandola, you could lay it down on one of their New Terra islands. If you are in Oleon or Corrington, you might want to wait a little bit (we are actually working on a place in New Terra where those two can put something right away.)

Finally for the form, which form are you using? this form, the licensing form, has the correct terms. I don't know if there is a misplaced MRCA link in the public forum, but if there is, it would have the old terms and would be out of date. I am still rewriting the MRCA form, which is why I thought I scrubbed all the old links from the forum!

OK - For the forts, that is a way better way to do this. We will change the rules so that you can "grow into" your fort. So yes, if you make a 32x32 you can start by buying the small fort license, and it would protect as if it was a small fort. Then, when you have the DBs to do so (or your faction wants an upgraded for at that location and wants to pay for it!) you can just buy the new license. That works very well, and I think we can probably put that rule in for any property.

As for location, for a fort you could put in anywhere on the map, the maps with grids are not up yet though. Which faction did you join? if it was Sea Rats or Eslandola, you could lay it down on one of their New Terra islands. If you are in Oleon or Corrington, you might want to wait a little bit (we are actually working on a place in New Terra where those two can put something right away.)

Finally for the form, which form are you using? this form, the licensing form, has the correct terms. I don't know if there is a misplaced MRCA link in the public forum, but if there is, it would have the old terms and would be out of date. I am still rewriting the MRCA form, which is why I thought I scrubbed all the old links from the forum!

One more question on forts. All freebuilds count for DBs whether you licence them or not, right? So I could build a 32x32 fort, licence it as a small fort and then pay for the upgrade, but I could technically make more DBs if I built both the 16x16 and the 32x32, yes? Not planning on that, just trying to understand all the details. As for which team, I haven't officially joined yet and I want to keep my choice a secret! I have some MOCing to do for the next SoNE contest that I need to finish before I jump into something like this :grin:

And the form I was looking at I believe was here, but it's not there anymore. I guess I just caught it before you changed it.

If I don't want to participate in the game system, and simply want to build MOCs (ala GoH), can I build residences/forts etc and/or claim land? So for example, I'm in Corrington and I want to claim a small bit of land in their territory, but I simply want to freebuild without worrying about DB, would I gain any rights to said land? And similarly for non-faction aligned land.

I'm definitely going to build for this, I just don't want to step on toes/get it wrong and look silly (well, the massive feather in my cap is going to make me look silly anyway I suppose...)!

One more question on forts. All freebuilds count for DBs whether you licence them or not, right? So I could build a 32x32 fort, licence it as a small fort and then pay for the upgrade, but I could technically make more DBs if I built both the 16x16 and the 32x32, yes? Not planning on that, just trying to understand all the details. As for which team, I haven't officially joined yet and I want to keep my choice a secret! I have some MOCing to do for the next SoNE contest that I need to finish before I jump into something like this :grin:

And the form I was looking at I believe was here, but it's not there anymore. I guess I just caught it before you changed it.

All freebuilds count, provided they are entered into the free-build form. Also, past your first two a month, there is a special approval system.

That being the case, yes, building two MOCs would earn more DBs than one.

If I don't want to participate in the game system, and simply want to build MOCs (ala GoH), can I build residences/forts etc and/or claim land? So for example, I'm in Corrington and I want to claim a small bit of land in their territory, but I simply want to freebuild without worrying about DB, would I gain any rights to said land? And similarly for non-faction aligned land.

I'm definitely going to build for this, I just don't want to step on toes/get it wrong and look silly (well, the massive feather in my cap is going to make me look silly anyway I suppose...)!

You can build residences and you can say, I'm on such and such an island or whatever, but you won't have the option of choosing plots in a settlement thread (those aren't out yet, BTW) because those are only for licensed property. It will be kind of like GoH where people can have their own little territories but (except in Avalonia) that doesn't really mean much.

You can build residences and you can say, I'm on such and such an island or whatever, but you won't have the option of choosing plots in a settlement thread (those aren't out yet, BTW) because those are only for licensed property. It will be kind of like GoH where people can have their own little territories but (except in Avalonia) that doesn't really mean much.

Right, but if I build a fort I want it to help my team by placing it strategically. It sounds like I just need to wait for the maps, I think that will answer my question.

Right, but if I build a fort I want it to help my team by placing it strategically. It sounds like I just need to wait for the maps, I think that will answer my question.

Yes, and you can always build and buy the license/announce the location later on (but that might complicate the story, of course).

Cheers Kai! That clears it up. I'm going to build for this, and see how much time I can devote to it before I get tangled in money making! Once I return to my bricks, my sig-fig will set sail!

I didn't see anything about it in the Rules, but I'm assuming this has the same rules regarding digital builds as does GoH?

Digital builds are definitely allowed for free builds, some of the contests might have limitations.

Yes, and your free builds still help your faction. Also, your builds can help your faction claim land not currently under the control of one of the factions, even if you don't participate in the EGS economy.

That is not entirely true (unless a faction has a specific rule) I might not have been clear enough when writing those rules on settlements, but you could have a non EGS MOC in a settlement that is part of the EGS. As long as somebody is keeping track that the MOC is located in that settlement, the value of the settlement would increase for the EGS. So you can still help your friends who play the game, even if you are not. Plus, by registering your free build, you earn points and money for your faction, even if you personally are not using the EGS system.

Ok everyone, please advise me.

I am almost ready to upload my rather large blue coat fort moc. I am not interested (at this time) in signing up for the EGS, but I may in the future once I understand the rules better. But I have a rather large fort/town and 2 blue coat vessels and 2 fisherman/merchant vessels.

I guess my questions are, so I just pick a name and place it anywhere in the map? I understand that I have a sig fig, but do I also have to name a governor and other town officials?

I just want to do this in accordance with the rules of the game, I don't want to cause any trouble. It just so happens that this game started at the same time I've been working on a rather large blue coat, red coats, and pirate world (sorry no greens

OK Captain Pirate Man, I'll try to answer tou.

First off, welcome to BoBS! Second, there are plenty of places you can place your fort.

Before you do any posting though, I'd post your sigfig, at least so that we can index this all.

If you are anxious to post it this week, before the first Contests even start, you have a few options, but if you're willing to wait a tad bit, there have been ruminations regarding the reveal of a new island to inaugurate the first challenge, but this isn't yet 100% sure.

If you don't want to wait, there are a few options for you.

If your Fort and town are temperate in local, feel free to place them in Oleon's Mainland. The only named city yet is its Capital, Granoleon.

If the location is a bit more tropical, Oleon has holdings in the Tropics, so you've chosen your allegiance well! Oleon holds the Island of "LeBellon" in the Sea of Storms" which is about as tropical as the Carolinas, I think. On LeBellon are the two named cities of Bresaun, and Eltina.

And, additionally, Oleon holds "New Oleon" which is also Tropical, if I'm reading correctly. This nation has no named cities yet.

Also, regarding the Junk, earlier, there's no released map yet, but the Brethren Court considered that there would be a vaguely Asian Analogue region on the south continent of the main land (below New Oleon) although, certainly a Junk could originate from wherever you like.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Hello, this is my first post ever as a eurobricks member, I read the rules for this but I am still afraid of messing up. Could someone explain the do's and don't's to me?

Welcome to Eurobricks Airbenderfreak! All you have to do to start here, is make yourself a figure that will fit into this 18th century styled world. Photograph it and post it here with a small story and you are on your way.

Soon different challenges will be announced and you will have the opportunity to build creations to fit those challenges. You could also MoC anything that will fit into the world as you please. This has just started so most people don't know what will be going on so don't feel alone in that.

I can't imagine any don'ts here as long as all communication is polite. :pirate:

Edited by Mr. Townsend