https://www.flickr.c...05/26988440594/

Okay so I made some more small progress here and there. Apparently I goofed pretty hard, you can't really see it in the above photo but the right wings (the more unfinished ones) were actually elevated 1 plate higher than the ones in the foreground, so I had to fix that. Thankfully it wasn't too complicated. I'm not really sure what is the best way to go about getting the right shape for the engines, at the moment this is a bit of a draft, any suggestions or criticism is absolutely welcome.

Here's the reference I've been using for this area, I believe it's a Bandai build.

(also I forgot to add. im working on an ldd file but it doesn't like a few of the connections I have made in real pieces, so we'll see how it goes i guess)

uJZ38LM.jpg

26988440594_25229e3351_b.jpg

Edited by atlas

Thanks for your kind words everybody . Hopefully another update in the next few days, I'm trialling a completed look for the engine assembly .

wings done !

hello again! so, I feel like the whole assembly is basically finished now. From the last update, I have had to change a lot of the structure whilst trying to maintain the same appearance. The main change is that I shortened the distance between each set of wings to 6 studs, it was previously 8. Before, it looked out of proportion and I think the new distance will better accommodate the sleeker fuselage of the new x-wing. However, I still have this nagging feeling that the wings are too wide. Once I get to some preliminary work for the fuselage I'll see if I will do anything about it.

The brown and blue plates are just there to hold the 1x1 clips in place for now. Hopefully after some time, the flex tubes will have bent into that kind of shape, otherwise the outward force on the clips is too strong. If that doesnt work I think I'll have to mould them into shape with heat.

I'm pretty happy with the whole engine section. I really would have liked to include the outward offset of the thrusters, but for now they are in line with the centre of the faux-intakes.

some parts are obviously placeholders until I have the right colour. Please leave your thoughts, i love to hear them! (:

27808468105_eb1f476f6e_b.jpg

27707270782_e40de2d1f7_b.jpg

Looking pretty sweet Atlas, how sturdy is it so far? As for the wings being too wide, they look spot on but the fuselage will throw light on that. I always felt the nose was too short on my minifig T-70 which makes the wings look wider than they really are.

Cheers bud. The wings are kind of sturdy but it depends. The top/back split is only attached by a 1x2 bracket so that's quite weak, but everything else is acceptable I would say, for a model I guess.

hello all. So, I made some progress shortly after my last post but after that it's been collecting dust for a while. I picked it up again a few days ago and here's what I have.

I rebuilt the engines as they were too tall and created a 0 shape instead of a nice, round O. I also got some more parts in that have eliminated some patchiness and I've also started on the fuselage as that it very slow going - they width now that I have, for the entire wingspan as well as just in between each wing is perfect but it's made it very difficult to fit in a hexagonal shape inbetween the 2 wide centre that I have and the inner edges of the wings. That''s where I got stuck.

https://www.flickr.c.../in/dateposted/

29380573945_6a35fa5cf6_c.jpg

Edited by atlas

That is looking great thus far !!! i remember when i saw the first photo back on december.... that fusilage is looking fantastic too !

thanks!

I made some more progress recently and have started on the fuselage. A lot of the middle area (fuselage) has been rebuilt to accommodate the pieces that create the angles for the hexagon shape. I'm happy with this, the gaps on the back don't bug me as much as I thought that they would and I managed to sort of fit in a hexagon ish shape that is less than 6 wide. Let me know what you think!

more progress

Edited by atlas

I really appreciate the amount of detail you are putting into this model and I think it looks great so far!

The hexagonal shape in the back is a nice touch but I think the orientation of the cheese slopes doesn't fit with the flow of the ship that well. Maybe you could orient them like those on the top and attach them to the side panels? That`s just nitpicking though and it still looks great even if you don't change that!

Keep up the great work, looking forward to further updates!

Now this is something I wanna follow! Looks pretty sweet to me, as it is now. I love to see WiP like this and the T-70 is something I'd like to try out myself some day. Eventually. Just became active here and immediately noticed the one made by 'all in the reflexes' (great job there!!) and this one will be nice to see develop too. Good work atlas! :thumbup:

thanks!

Strangely I made that change with the cheese slopes this evening, funny that you mentioned it and noticed as well. It certainly flows better with the new structure I have and the 'window' of greebling that is created by the dark grey pieces is s better shape.

The back is slowly coming together ...

So I recently sat down and made some more progress. A lot of the exterior looks pretty similar but a lot of the guts have been rearranged to achieve a better hexagon shape that will accommodate the angles of parts further down the fuselage better. It should really be a heptagon but I quickly found that was unattainable for me.

Like I said it looks really similar but due to the steeper angle of the 4 angled panels, but the total height has been increased a few plates on the top and bottom to allow for that. This is a better result because the fuselage actually should rise above the tops of the engines a bit and now I have that. However this comes at a cost, I have a habit of focusing on exterior details at the expense of interior stability, so it's quite fragile at the moment but hopefully I'll be able to strengthen the inside because there's a bit of space to do that now.

fuselage progress

fuselage progress

Thanks again!! I'll keep showing progress as I continue with the build in this thread and on Flickr if people like to see that. 

Hello again. For about 6 weeks I stopped working on this for several reasons. The first is that my workspace was occupied by another project. I have also been losing some of the passion that I have for the model. I figured that it would be a waste not to finish it given the amount of time I've spent on it, but hopefully episode 8 makes me more excited about he new trilogy nonetheless.

I've completed the fuselage up to the beginning of the cockpit now and I am mostly satisfied with it so far. Sadly, I have been forced to remove the little prongs between the side of the fuselage and the engines. I really liked those bits, so it is a shame to have to get rid of them, but I'll definitely see if it's  possible to fit them back in somehow.

I experimented with one other thing as well and would appreciate any feedback from anyone reading. What I did was make an alternative version of the rear engine assembly, primarily to incorporate the offset of the thruster, as well as the fender pieces that Inthert used to frame the rear of the engine shape. I am really torn as to which I should use. For the moment I reinstalled my original build, because I feel that the founder and sleeker shape is more important than having a really precise representation of he back and offset thrusters. Another thing I was unsatisfied with about the experimental version was the angular and squarish shape of the middle half pipe section. Like I said I think my original version has a better rounder shape, but I'm really torn. I would appreciate any opinions and feedback.

Also since these photos were taken I filled the gap on the bottom with an angled 3x3 plate, so I have a complete hexagonal tube up to the front of the astromech socket now. 

Some photos:

sSEdIZU.jpg

3IUYYRC.jpg

TC1whjS.jpg

hIupIpz.jpg

Thank you. Which version do you think is more accurate overall to the source material?

here are some reference images for a better idea. At the moment, I feel like a better shape for the half-tube section of that area is more important than an offset to the engines and a more accurate edge to the greebles on the back of the engine, so I put back my original build. Any other opinions?

3oXRFh8.jpg

xS4TnPj.jpg

EPNxOEO.jpg

AXIsJCs.jpg

I think that your original solution for engines was perfect, but you can leave the 2x2 dish - it looks just in place behind 1x2 curved slope. The offset is not that important IMO :wink:

BTW: have you come up with the idea for tubing underneath the thrusters?

Edited by BrickShady

3 hours ago, BrickShady said:

I think that your original solution for engines was perfect, but you can leave the 2x2 dish - it looks just in place behind 1x2 curved slope. The offset is not that important IMO :wink:

BTW: have you come up with the idea for tubing underneath the thrusters?

Thanks. I agree with you re the engines.

for tubing, I have two options that I'm looking at but its only cosmetic so that's why I haven't added it yet. Because the tap pieces aren't made in DBG, I would have to paint those and even then they don't really fit properly. So my favoured idea at the moment for when I get around to attaching them is to cut some flex tubing and mould  it into a soft L shape. This method also will allow me to use already metallic finish Lego rather than painting parts so I think I will go with that.