Today I started my next project, a model of the new T-70 x wing from star wars. I think I have the back wings figured out, here is a concept for it. Colours not final obviously. I'll continue to add to this thread as I make more progress.

I decided on light gray for this. White just looks out of place to me and it doesn't appear that way even some of the time as the T-65 did depending on lighting. The wings (at least from my limited reference) are also seeming to be slightly thicker on the new ship, so I went with a snot design instead of 2 plates thick. I think that curve arch piece is the only really sufficient way to capture the curve of the wingtip with fidelity so I based the design on mounting each laser on each wing with those piece.

Next, I'll tackle the front wings and engine assembly, maybe the rear fuselage.

23472287600_89c0b25b35_c.jpg

Edited by atlas

Thanks joe.

23271282754_ba68c20ca5_c.jpg

It looks like I will definitely have to use some stickers. I've been fiddling with this for hours and I can't figure out a way to achieve the very slight inward slope of the leading edge of the front wings with some gaps. Other than that I'm very happy with the aesthetic of these snot wings. If anyone has anything at all to add please don't hesitate to do so. Ideally I won't need to apply stickers but everything I've tried except a staggered flat leading each leaves some gaps. I'll attach an LDD file of the current setup if anyone would like to mess around with it.

t70.lxf

Edited by atlas

Cheers. I am too. At the moment with the wacky colours and some gaps, it's hard to visualise how it will look. I also started replicating the Poe's black and orange. Those colours really pop.

Thanks.

So...i saw the film earlier today. I was actually surprised to find that the T-70s are quite white. They actually seemed more white than the t-65s in the original trilogy. That'll throw a spanner in the works. I think I might continue with this, but in Poe's colours until I'm done and then I'll duplicate it in white/grey (I really wish there was a dullish white/ faint grey colour! So appropriate in so many situations)

Edited by atlas

Thanks.

So...i saw the film earlier today. I was taken aback at the part where admiral ackbar bit off captain phasma's toe.

(just kidding!)

To be serious though. I was actually surprised to find that the T-70s are quite white. They actually seemed more white than the t-65s in the original trilogy. That'll throw a spanner in the works. I think I might continue with this, but in Poe's colours until I'm done and then I'll duplicate it in white/grey (I really wish there was a dullish white/ faint grey colour! So appropriate in so many situations)

You should finish it in gray and change it to white if you dont like it

So I was fiddling last night and figured out a way to attach the laser cannon that looks acceptable. I think it looks alright but still thinking about how to make the attachment point less blocky.

t-70 wip

26162603365_2925bd3037_c.jpg

d358tX9.jpg

Edited by atlas

cheers! I like yours also . I can't figure out a better way to do the engines so I think I might be pinching them ( :

Thanks! I have basically completed the outer wing (I ended up truncating it to 2 tall slopes long instead of three because it was way big) and also have been messing around with a scissor mechanism and the basis of the engines but haven't touched it in a couple of weeks. Now that I'm done with the Jedi starfighter I'll have more time to dedicate this and hopefully post an update !

Getting closer, it's a bit temperamental at the moment but they shut completely flush, just have to find a way to stop them drooping.

✂️✂️✂️

26828287173_e6fef05395_b.jpg

This is looking very cool! On the photo I don't see the wings drooping though. Do you mean that the wing itself curves slightly due to gravity?

If that's the case you can fortify the structure by replacing stacks of 1x2 blue bricks by 1x2x5 bricks (http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=2454#T=C) and try to attach the angled sections on the other ends as well. If that still isn't strong enough you could rebuild part of the wing by incorporating a long blue brick (1x10 or something) that is twisted 90 degrees (no drooping guaranteed if you do that).

Thanks ! Yeah, I disguised it by having the scissor open in the photo, but when you close the wings, both of the front ones sag a little bit. I am definitely going to add in some 1x2x5s when I get ahold of them but I think the strength of the mechanism is what needs work. The 'Snot' sections of the wings actually surprised me, they don't really sag at all (yet), the connections between the normal plates up/down and bricks on the side just need to be strengthened a little bit I think.

This is looking set to be one gorgeous ship, I look forward to seeing the finished MOC

thanks to both of you, I can't wait either, trying to solve these angles is slow going though!