Zusammengebaut

Video: Resistance Troop Transporter Reivew (Princess Leia)

OP, if i may post this in your thread:

He actually posted an original and interesting idea on the modular nature of the craft (consisting of a fighter with an insertable transport module), which doesn't seem all too far fetched, given the backstory of the design, and I hope to see this idea explored in future episodes...In the words of Yoda: "Truly wonderful the mind of a child is":

I was actually wondering if it was possible to do this, quite happy to see that it is :classic: .

Edited by khatmorg

That is a very cool feature added by the designer. I too had wondered what this ship would look like without the center compartment, but I assumed that I was going to have to moc something up, not simply plug and play.

Thanks for posting this great vid and thanks to the young reviewer for demonstrating a hitherto unknown feature even though the "real" craft is known to be a modular design.

Quite a few Lego sets waste space for minifigs, so assumed this was the case and I planned to spend some time opening up the areas where the black roof hinge was but now it all makes sense! It needs to be robust to support this modular connectivity.

This is easily my favourite TFA set. You get a nice movie accurate bulky transport but with the simplest of operations, you can have a good looking fighter ( a C-wing? ) that is the very definition of used universe and have the transport module on land as a temporary base of operations at the same time.

Again, a very slight spoiler from the Incredible Cross-Sections book... which only has twelve craft but can be picked up cheaply ( and is worth it IMO )...

The configuration of the transport module in the book has more of a passenger layout than the command centre shown in the model. Perhaps Lego envisaged this as Leia's personal command ship... No complaints, that all makes sense too.

Also the book says that astromechs are often onboard to deal with the issues that crop up with this cobbled together design. Definitely think I'm going to MOC a little dedicated astromech section to sit between the canopy and weapons module to help emphasis the C-shape.

Edited by General Hux

Exactly General Hux, i dont find it too much of a stretch to assume that General Organa's module is more of a mobile temporary command and control station (to be inserted near the battlefront), rather than a strict transporter that has her sitting between the grunts...

Just finished building it. Very swooshable. The modular nature of the craft really is quite interesting. I'm pretty sure there's enough room in there for several more resistance troopers... At least two seated, maybe all six between the FO Transport and the BP if they are all standing, too. Can't wait to test that out.

Lego must be pretty desperate for Episode VIII to come along and provide them with a few more prototypes to model. Outside the First Order Star Destroyer, and perhaps some kind of Starkiller Base set, there isn't a lot left for them to do. Certainly, this simple transport is far less imposing than the First Order one.

^ And as such we're gonna end up witha quadjumper set even tho waht wee see of it in the movie is its demise.

I don't own this set yet, but I liked it right from the first pictures I've seen.

Most of the Episode VII Sets didn't impress me that much at first look, but since I've seen the movie, I definitely want to get at least some of them. It's a totally different affair, when you know the story and characters behind the vehicles and Minifigs.

Thanks for the review!

Is this a designing mistake, or did Lego redesign the clip+plate part?

BadLego.jpg

And I'm not talking about "wrong, but the plastic will bend to accomodate". The first time I tried something like this, it was on a normal 1x1 tile+clip, while the LDD hadn't detected the collision. The clip told me that it was wrong when it started to "get white about to break", as the hilt wouldn't go through fully.

Sure, the plate+clip is designed slightly differently, maybe that one won't break, but IMHO it's still wrong for Lego to do that. And it's not even the clip's fault, it's the hilt that's badly designed and is often the sources of troubles that the LDD doesn't detect (it does detect this one though).

Has anybody seen this set in a UK store yet? Probably should be in another thread but thought I'd ask on the off chance...

Great that Jang gave it a nice review. It's a very "Star Warsy" looking ship.

Is this a designing mistake, or did Lego redesign the clip+plate part?

BadLego.jpg

And I'm not talking about "wrong, but the plastic will bend to accomodate". The first time I tried something like this, it was on a normal 1x1 tile+clip, while the LDD hadn't detected the collision. The clip told me that it was wrong when it started to "get white about to break", as the hilt wouldn't go through fully.

Sure, the plate+clip is designed slightly differently, maybe that one won't break, but IMHO it's still wrong for Lego to do that. And it's not even the clip's fault, it's the hilt that's badly designed and is often the sources of troubles that the LDD doesn't detect (it does detect this one though).

Looking closely at the photo, the left works and the right doesn't. It's the 'x' vs 'cross' orientation of the saber hilt that makes the difference. On my copy, I was careful to orient the hilts in the 'x' clock position, and they both seem perfectly flush and fully seated in the 1x1 clips.

This set was yet another example of acute skepticism on my part, only to be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. It's a recurring theme with so many aspects of this film!

The size of the sticker sheet compared to the size of the set is jaw-dropping at first, but I just went with it - the final result looks good. WITH REGARD TO THE CANOPY STICKER: Save yourself some frustration and do one of the following: Either trim a tiny bit off the aft-most sticker, or make sure it's right up snug with the crossways 'band' sticker. Reason being, any aft overhang will drag its sticky self right down the back wall of the cockpit, and peel itself away from the canopy. Annoying.

8.5 out of 10 - very cool set.

Edited by lowlead

I agree with Jang in all points. This really is designed with rare level of care. I wish this applied to all new SW sets. The only flaw are these stickers. especially these three (!!) stickers for the canopy are huge drawback. Still this is so far the only TFA set I'm really tempted to get, not only as a minifig source.

Has anybody seen this set in a UK store yet? Probably should be in another thread but thought I'd ask on the off chance...

Great that Jang gave it a nice review. It's a very "Star Warsy" looking ship.

Yeah, Leeds Lego Store.

Looking closely at the photo, the left works and the right doesn't. It's the 'x' vs 'cross' orientation of the saber hilt that makes the difference. On my copy, I was careful to orient the hilts in the 'x' clock position, and they both seem perfectly flush and fully seated in the 1x1 clips.

while that need to care for the orientation would normally still ban it according to Lego's rules, even in that orientation, there's still a tiny collision. Undetected in the LDD, but if the shape is correct, it's there. I'm sure it does work in practice, though, because the clip seems more relax than a 1x1 tile+clip (which doesn't have that cut in the middle).

BadLego2.jpg

Edited by anothergol

That's funny it is described as a modular ship.

Just today I was reading "Tarkin", and it described common pirate and smuggler vessels as being modules cobbled together; not based on any commercial design.

I'm pretty excited about adding this to my spaceport!

Does anybody know why Leia has a hole on top of her hairpiece? It looks so obvious that I'm afraid it'll bother me a lot.

Does anybody know why Leia has a hole on top of her hairpiece? It looks so obvious that I'm afraid it'll bother me a lot.

Its to put accessories like a crown in. The piece was originally modeled after Leia's Endor hairstyle but designed so it could also be reused in the Castle line.

Can anyone confirm if the Resistance Troopers' blasters are the same pearl dark silver as in the First Order Transporter?

Its to put accessories like a crown in. The piece was originally modeled after Leia's Endor hairstyle but designed so it could also be reused in the Castle line.

Thank you.

Just finished building mine tonight. This is, without a doubt, the best build of the first two waves (I love my First Order Transporter, too, but it's a dull assembly by comparison) - it's creative, hugely functional, and produces a model that is almost perfectly in line proportionally (if, of course, a little too small) with the original. The over-reliance on stickers IS a massive annoyance, and placing the cockpit ones in particular is a sweat-dripping nightmare. However, the end result is very, very sturdy, easy on the eyes, and screams modified B-wing (yes, I know that's what it is, but it's lovely that you can stare at the Lego model and actually see the original vehicle). I'm frankly considering buying a second one - it's just THAT good.