Sign in to follow this  
CM4Sci

[LDD MOC] Geonosis Droid Factory

Hey guys!

I've been rewatching all the Star Wars movies the last couple weeks in anticipation for The Force Awakens. Now I'm in the mood to make sets LEGO never did!

So I started off with the Droid Factory from Episode II: Attack of the Clones!

23596530782_62daa4d459_b.jpg

The minifigures I included are Anakin, Padmé, RD-D2, two Geonosians, a Droideka, and two battle droids (one with C3-PO's head.)

As usual with my MOCs, I try to make them look like real LEGO sets. So there's tons of play features, like turning the knobs on the sides of the conveyor belts, knocking Padmé into the giant fire pot thing the little platform at the entrance can be pulled back, etc.

23679279046_7d9aa0f39e_b.jpg23337550729_95bf1b8c63_z.jpg

23409959670_356af2b482_z.jpg23077659974_a1748d0480_z.jpg

23623239631_64257a1d38_b.jpg

I actually made a droid factory set in 2013 but didn't like it so I remade it last night. I think it's heaps better than the old one, what about you? :tongue:

Thanks for looking! Feel free to tell me what you think I should make next! I'm thinking the Battle on Geonosis. We'll see! :grin:

It's so much like the scene from the movie that it's entirely computer-generated!

Sorry, I just had to take that did at the movies. It's honestly a great-looking set; Lots of neat touches like Battle Droid-bodied 3PO, and it's really such a logical choice for an action set that I'm surprised it hadn't been a thing before now!

Nice job, that totally looks like something LEGO would make. :sweet: It reminds me a lot of the Garbage Compactor set from Toy Story. It's just unfortunate that there are so few Star Wars play sets.

Why isn't this on Lego Ideas? Get it over there now (if you already haven't)! Though I am not keen on buying sets until I see something that I will find absolutely astonishing, this will undoubtedly make an absolutely fun set for someone!

Why isn't this on Lego Ideas? Get it over there now (if you already haven't)! Though I am not keen on buying sets until I see something that I will find absolutely astonishing, this will undoubtedly make an absolutely fun set for someone!

LEGO will never make an Ideas submission based on a pre-existing theme a set. It sucks, but it's true. Otherwise of course I would.

This looks totally awesome! I love how you try and make it look like an actual set. Those play features are top-notch (especially that Padme-smashing one :laugh: ). I would absolutely buy this set. Inexplicable that Lego hasn't made something like this yet. Any chance of seeing this in physical brick? If you don't, I will!

It's so much like the scene from the movie that it's entirely computer-generated!

Lolz :laugh:

Edited by Junior Shark

This looks totally awesome! I love how you try and make it look like an actual set. Those play features are top-notch (especially that Padme-smashing one :laugh: ). I would absolutely buy this set. Inexplicable that Lego hasn't made something like this yet. Any chance of seeing this in physical brick? If you don't, I will!

Lolz :laugh:

30% of it is Titanium Metallic, no chance of that. :tongue: A lot of the brown/dark orange pieces don't exist.

Surprising this is getting more response than my Winter Village set.

I'm working on a small Darth Vader Transformation set, should be up soon.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, everyone! :grin:

LEGO will never make an Ideas submission based on a pre-existing theme a set. It sucks, but it's true. Otherwise of course I would.

I always figured they would accept the idea as a consideration for future sets in the Star wars theme, but I guess that is not how it works due to the fact of being different departments.

The play features make the set pretty decent, close to the official Lego sets.

I haven't seen much MOCs from this scene, it's quite original. If ever you have the parts to make it real, I'm looking forward to see the pictures :wink:

It doesn't hurt to put it up anyway. Even though it will never be made, it at least shows Lego there's enough interest in the idea that they might consider their own version down the line.

Great MOC and also great idea for a droid factory playset. I also like your's previous version of this playset since it's looks more tidy for a playset.

Kinda wonder why a body for C-3P0 isn't included too.

Great MOC and also great idea for a droid factory playset. I also like your's previous version of this playset since it's looks more tidy for a playset.

Kinda wonder why a body for C-3P0 isn't included too.

I'll add this to LEGO Ideas, assuming you guys will support! :tongue: I'll add a body for him too.

Any chance of rendering this in POVray or Bluerender? It would look great with all the metallic pieces! :sweet:

POVRay is bad from what I've seen, Bluerender is confusing for me and you can't make transparent images.

I'd also make it with MECABricks but that is SUCH A PAIN to use. Much nicer than LDD though. I wish LDD had better.. exporting and rendering options.

Hooray, I got Bluerender to work. It looks REALLY GOOD to me, and as soon as I figure this thing out and make images look better I'll have better pics!

23675773661_a80f6b6a98_o.png

Edited by CM4Sci

This is such a great MOC idea. Though I hated this particular movie, the recreation of this scene is so well done and has exactly the figs that should come with it! Nice little play features as well! Just love it!

It's too bad, too, that you can't get the actual figure designs to render with the model :sceptic: as it looks so cool!

This is definitely something that I see TLG producing, at least something really close to this, I can't imagine what they would add, only what they would forget. I would definitely try your hardest to build this in real life and post it on Lego Ideas

Really cool little features to play out this scene from Ep. 2. I agree that you should put this set on Lego ideas.