Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Train 12 Volts

BR 38-3812

BR 38-3812

4-6-0 Steam Locomotive

As promised here is the new BR for the decade between 30 and 39: the BR 38-3812 :classic:

About this new steam engine I can say that I like the curious gap between the second and the third axle...

br38-3812-001.jpg

br38-3812-002.jpg

br38-3812-003.jpg

br38-3812-004.jpg

...and I can also say that I really love this kind of tender with its rounded shapes and its low center of gravity...

br38-3812-010.jpg

br38-3812-011.jpg

br38-3812-012.jpg

br38-3812-013.jpg

This locomotive is powered by a medium PF motor with a regeared transmission to reduce the torque ratio and equalize the speed at the same velocity of the motorized caboose.

The rubber bands have been removed to neutralize any imbalance of speed between the locomotive and the caboose, allowing the wheels slipping during the start :wub_drool:

br38-3812-005.jpg

br38-3812-006.jpg

The machine and the tender, as usual, have lights...

br38-3812-008.jpg

...now enjoy the pictures :excited:

br38-3812-015.jpg

br38-3812-009.jpg

br38-3812-014.jpg

br38-3812-016.jpg

br38-3812-017.jpg

br38-3812-018.jpg

br38-3812-019.jpg

br38-3812-020.jpg

br38-3812-021.jpg

br38-3812-022.jpg

br38-3812-023.jpg

br38-3812-024.jpg

br38-3812-025.jpg

br38-3812-026.jpg

br38-3812-027.jpg

br38-3812-028.jpg

br38-3812-029.jpg

br38-3812-030.jpg

br38-3812-031.jpg

br38-3812-032.jpg

br38-3812-033.jpg

br38-3812-034.jpg

br38-3812-035.jpg

br38-3812-036.jpg

br38-3812-037.jpg

br38-3812-038.jpg

br38-3812-039.jpg

br38-3812-040.jpg

...now it remains only the last one to reveal...

locomotivebr-02.jpg

...and the surprise will be under the Christmas tree! :tongue:

All the best! :laugh:

LT12V

Another exceptionally fine MOC LT12V. You've really captured the intricacies of the original.

I can't wait to see the next one.

Cool! I think this one will be my favorite. I love the front bogie. The snot tender looks good.

What a wonderful MOC again! :wub: :wub:

The BR 38 is one of my special favorites, for one of these engines is regularly operated by the railway museum in Bochum, quite near my home town; so I am particularly happy that you’ve built such a fine model.

As you said, the „Wannentender“ (bathtub tender) is especially elegant, and you’ve captured its looks very well. It’s also nice to see that you didn’t even forget the brakes between the second and third drive axle (btw: the gap you mentioned is to give room for the firebox, which extends down between the frame). The design of the front part of the frame seems to be very ingenious, too.

I’m very, very curious which BR will come next!

Edited by Tenderlok

Jeez that's a bizarre tender. o-o Very nice 12v I hope we get to see them all together when the last one is built.... Oh lord I hope youre not like me who takes apart his last train to build a new one... anyways! JUST ONE MORE TO GO! *pops confetti poppers*

Very nice again, now it will be mandatory, after Christmas, to take some photos of the entire collection, perhaps put in parallel to enjoy the BR monumentality.

Sergio and Eros

Do engines at your home come from the conveyor belt, as we say in German? :grin:

Anyway you did a great job again on this engine again! And I've realized it just now, but have you switched from 7 wide to 8 wide? And the next question: why? I'm just curious as I really like 7 wide :sweet:

My only criticism is that the driving wheels seem to be too far apart when comparing your model to the Marklin one. This results in the engine looking a little bit too long compared the original and also the cab roof seems like it's sitting too low, but that might just be my vision being flashed by the every-week-an-engine contest you started. :laugh: :laugh:

As for the tender my only suggestion would be to put curved 1x4 parts upside down to create the 'Wannentender"-look.

I did this on my engine, and also found a picture on my PC I want to show you to keep you in suspense regarding my engines :devil:

23078344863_7491a34a40_n.jpg

Now, re-reading my post, I'm a bit ashamed of all that negativity in it, as you really did some great work on that engine! Again you packed very much detail in your engine, and I always get fascinated that you include lights. At last one question though: is the L motor in the engine powered by the caboose or is there a battery box in the tender?

Edited by ScotNick

Wonderful engine.

Another exceptionally fine MOC LT12V.

Cool! I think this one will be my favorite.

Very well done!

Thanks to you all for the warm consensus! :thumbup:

The BR 38 is one of my special favorites, for one of these engines is regularly operated by the railway museum in Bochum, quite near my home town; so I am particularly happy that you’ve built such a fine model.

I’m very, very curious which BR will come next!

I envy you, just once time in my life I've seen a real BR 23 in action :wub:

Next BR will be displayed for Christmas holidays! :classic:

I hope we get to see them all together when the last one is built

Aafter Christmas take some photos of the entire collection

Sergio and Eros

That's one of my programs! :wink:

As for the tender my only suggestion would be to put curved 1x4 parts upside down to create the 'Wannentender"-look.

Now, re-reading my post, I'm a bit ashamed of all that negativity in it, as you really did some great work on that engine!

At last one question though: is the L motor in the engine powered by the caboose or is there a battery box in the tender?

Thanks for your point of view, but I think the curvature on the side of this tender is better with the curved slope 3x1 than an inverted brick with curved top.

Thanks for the compliments ...and constructive criticisms are always welcome :thumbup:

For your question the L motor is powered by the battery pack in the caboose, in the tender there is only a little 9volt battery and a swithc to power the lights. :classic:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Thanks for your point of view, but I think the curvature on the side of this tender is better with the curved slope 3x1 [...].

I agree - otherwise the curvature radius would be too large.

Yes, I see what you mean now - looking at the black and white pic of the engine. The picture of the Marklin model somehow created the illusion of the curvature being different, but looking longer at the model I realised it was just an illusion nothing more. You didn't answer one question though: was thrre any specific reason you built the engine in 8 wide rather than the 7 you normally do?

You didn't answer one question though: was thrre any specific reason you built the engine in 8 wide rather than the 7 you normally do?

You're right ...because the wheels are partially covered for this model and only with the 8 wide you can arrange the correct effect; besides the rods are large and unaesthetic with a narrow locomotive :classic:

There is little I can say that has not already been said, still, this is another excellent locomotive built to your high standards. With all of the fine locomotives you are building I'm starting to suspect that you do not sleep at night (grin). Of course now you need a roundhouse to store all of your fine locomotives... but that would be a horrible shame because you couldn't see them... oh you have an ugly dilemma on your hands... okay, hopefully you have a nice display shelf to show off all of your creations.

I was curious to see this new creation ... wonderful! :wub:

Wow, another wonderful creation. Amazing how you make all these creations so true to the original.

This magnificent mass production.

Thanks guys for your compliments! :thumbup: :thumbup:

You need a roundhouse to store all of your fine locomotives... but that would be a horrible shame because you couldn't see them... oh you have an ugly dilemma on your hands... okay, hopefully you have a nice display shelf to show off all of your creations.

Hey zephyr you're hitting the spot ...my collection becomes almost huge every time and I have to stock my locomotives in closed boxes under the roof far from my eyes ...actually I'm thinking to open a museum to see all my creations together! :grin:

You have built some amazing locomotives! I do have a question: why are German locomotives painted black and red in that way? I have searched for the answer, but I have found nothing.

[...] why are German locomotives painted black and red in that way? I have searched for the answer, but I have found nothing.

The black painting of boilers, cabs and tenders was introduced in the 1920s because it was easier to maintain than the previous green livery with black and red striping.

Wheels and frames were painted red as it was thought that the bright color would make it easier to detect cracks.

The black painting of boilers, cabs and tenders was introduced in the 1920s because it was easier to maintain than the previous green livery with black and red striping.

Wheels and frames were painted red as it was thought that the bright color would make it easier to detect cracks.

never knew that.... very interesting! I saw some later looking German looking locomotive that looked like a bit of a fusion between steam and a more boxy diesel. Wish I could find the photo

never knew that.... very interesting! I saw some later looking German looking locomotive that looked like a bit of a fusion between steam and a more boxy diesel. Wish I could find the photo

Do you mean this one? It's an experimental high-pressure locomotive which was rebuilt from a Class 45 2-10-2 by the Deutsche Reichsbahn in East Germany.

Wow, Tenderlok I knew the answer about the black color but I wasn't sure about the red part! :classic:

Now, if it's possible to someone already fallen in love, I love this kind of technic livery even more than before! :wub:

Another great engine from your hand! :wub:

I cannot wait for the next one, but you won't stop building steam engines right?!? :grin: