WhiteFang

REVIEW: 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

On a scale of 1 to 5  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Good review... my feeling on the set itself is 'meh.' I understand Lego didn't have a clear understanding of the original ship (though how far this excuse actually has merit is debatable. Disney is licensing this product -- why aren't they and Lego talking about such proprietary 'secrets' such as ship color and whether or not wings fold?), but the lack of accurate functionality and improper coloring mar it for me. What's more, Kylo Ren's incorrect 'cross' shaped saber blade is jarring. It would have been easy for Lego to develop a new t-shaped emitter (in the same way they did for Dooku's form II saber), but they chose the lazy way out. I'm simply not sold on this product.

Excellent review, as always. I bought the set (found it on sale for only 90 €) and modified it so that the wings could take the V-shape. Now it's almost perfect (could be a bit darker indeed but that's OK).

This set is a huge ripoff and it's very clear Lego rushed the design.

What parts of the design did you think were rushed?

I don't think the two main issues of the set (color and wings shape) came from rushing the design (which is overall quite good), but rather because they couldn't get all the right details from Disney before the movie was released...

If this set had come in black (but still had the fixed wing issue) would all the haters become lovers?

I'm not a hater, but I know I'd be more easily swayed to purchase if the wings were fixed but the colours were still wrong.

I can Bricklink black pieces more easily that I can redesign a wing mechanism. Other people obviously don't have that problem.

I know they wanted the sturdier immobile wings, but dang that has got to be sad for kids to watch the movie, unfold the wings, and not be able to push them into flight position. I'm actually mostly ok with the coloration, and like the sizing, and overall think it looks good, though a tad overpriced. (I do wonder if it has enough screen time to become iconic)

If I had to guess I would say that the screen time can be compared to the lambda class shuttle, I mean its not involved in anything major, its there to get the job done and make an intimidating impression, and in that regard it succeeded the Imperial Shuttle big time!

So yeah, still think it can become an iconic ship, especially since there arent that many new interesting ships in the first place...

Edited by BigEl

After modifying the wings a bit via JangBricks' video it looks 10x's better. Although not much can be done about the colors I think it looks great on display when the wings are angled out. I'll try and snap a picture later

Edited by Jayoheazy

If I had to guess I would say that the screen time can be compared to the lambda class shuttle, I mean its not involved in anything major, its there to get the job done and make an intimidating impression, and in that regard it succeeded the Imperial Shuttle big time!

So yeah, still think it can become an iconic ship, especially since there aren't that many new interesting ships in the first place...

Yeah, the Cross-Sections book has a full two-page spread dedicated to a ship that appears on-screen as a dot on the horizon for three seconds then explodes. I'm not kidding. That's how short they were on material.

I also changed the front end a bit to add the black/red. Not as nice as Jang's obviously but my next project is to piece it together like him, one black brick at a time

87D72D1D-9181-479D-B4F2-179CEC4501FD_zpsjs4e6wsr.jpg

15C94F86-E3E5-4F31-853F-49EFC284EE38_zpszlwy0a8a.jpg