Sign in to follow this  
Richard Dower

Alternative string for 8288?

I have gone through the parts list for 8288 and have everything save for the 500 mm string...it is impossible to find.

are there any alternatives?....string made by other companies one could use?

i could tie together five 100 mm strings i guess....but that would look a bit naff....any thoughts?

:sceptic:

Just use any string that's long enough and doesn't look wrong. The string that comes with the set is nothing special, just replace it with any other string that would look right.

I use braided cord used for stringing beads obtainable from craft shops or on line. Comes in a variety of diameters and colours.

I gather parts for 8288 too, left almost nothing.

Saying about strings, I've bought a bobbin of strings ~ 30 m, and use it for all sets and MOCs.

The string is made from polymer (caprone or other), it is thicker than common strings from cotton, and the end of this string can be handled easy by fire of matches.

kNmeJ.jpg

For axample, see https://www.flickr.c...tetaken-public/

Edited by ifilin

At Blokbricks they sell string per metre with a maximum of 500 metre. I don't know if it'll work though, I've bought some and it looks very similar to Lego medium string but the 8288 uses thin string according to Bricklink.

it is impossible to find.

No, it's not.. Just depends where you are looking :wink:

EDIT: I assume you mean the 500 cm string, as the set doesn't appear to have any 500 mm strings

Edited by D3K

Its important you know that you don't actually need the 500cm string. Later on they changed what was included to two 200cm packs. If you look through the instructions I think the longest strand it asks you to cut is 190cm.

I know I wrote a post about this years ago so from memory I might be slightly wrong, but I know that you can use 200cm packs instead of the expensive 500 (since it gets cut anyway).

That being said, I stopped using lego string a while ago if the model wasn't for resale (i.e. had to be all lego). I just use waxed beading thread and moved on with life. Just go to a craft store and pick one that looks the closest to the official lego string.

Edited by nychase