LegoPercyJ

Lego Licensed Parts available from Bricks & Pieces

It's exciting, but it can also be like... I paid how much for this tiny package?? If you're just buying Minifigure parts and one of everything like me, you can easily spend $100+ and it fits into a small padded mailer.

But getting specific exciting parts is always thrilling anyway.

That's so; very easy to spend way too much on a tiny bag of parts! But when I crack open that bag, and stow those interesting figure parts and accessories in my drawers, I just think about how... Years from now, I'll be looking at BrickLink, and I'll idly check those parts, and see the exorbitant prices... And I'll just look at my stash from now and smile! (And perhaps wish I'd bought even more on B&P!)

But you're right, that it's a different thrill (and a different regret!), opening the package of tiny figure parts, versus the one of 200 white masonry bricks!

Edited by Flak Maniak

I have sometimes looked at sets with the right parts in and wondered whether I should just buy the entire thing for the incremental cost increase to get all the other stuff. And then there's the balance of checking Bricklink costs and accounting for postage, vs direct from LEGO with free postage (usually). And then you have to try to ignore the cost, because you're already well into it and it really would be foolish to stop at 75% complete, and that the sunk cost fallacy definitely doesn't apply in this case.

But despite all that. Still definitely a great day when the parts arrive.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:58 AM, Pedilego said:

Ah okay. Given that both are Star Wars cloth pieces, one is from a set that’s been out for for a year, and neither have dates—it seems unlikely they’ll come in stock.

First, my elephant pieces were cancelled. Second, my licensed cloth pieces were cancelled. Didn't come away with anything that I couldn't have gotten from the B&P online interface. Ah well.

Edited by Pedilego

10 hours ago, Pedilego said:

First, my elephant pieces were cancelled. Second, my licensed cloth pieces were cancelled. Didn't come away with anything that I couldn't have gotten from the B&P online interface. Ah well.

Could it be they cancelled your pieces because they ran out because lots of people are calling up for them as opposed to not wanting to sell them you? I don’t think there’s anyway we can tell.

41 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Could it be they cancelled your pieces because they ran out because lots of people are calling up for them as opposed to not wanting to sell them you? I don’t think there’s anyway we can tell.

Yep, your reasoning on the elephant parts sounds right. I think that’s less likely for the cape & kamas.

7 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Yep, your reasoning on the elephant parts sounds right. I think that’s less likely for the cape & kamas.

It might be that someone else checked the order and cancelled parts that you should not have been sold.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:46 AM, Clone OPatra said:

It's exciting, but it can also be like... I paid how much for this tiny package?? If you're just buying Minifigure parts and one of everything like me, you can easily spend $100+ and it fits into a small padded mailer.

But getting specific exciting parts is always thrilling anyway.

I must have spent more money on B&P’s than actual legit Lego sets, somehow I’ve accumulated 10,000 vip points in between march and now just on those bricks and pieces lololol!!! So I’m horrified now more than ever just buying at a lego store and just getting like 60-70 points on a purchase hahaha.

Is there a Delay as of now? I saw more movement on B&P early June but as of right now still have a couple of orders stating “waiting on new stock”, and back to the usually 20 days versus 7 days I’ve experienced! 

Edited by eldiano

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

Is there a Delay as of now? I saw more movement on B&P early June but as of right now still have a couple of orders stating “waiting on new stock”, and back to the usually 20 days versus 7 days I’ve experienced! 

Yeah, North America has had shipping delays since TLG released most of the new summer sets on August 1st. For context, I still haven’t received the $19.99 set I bought over weeks ago. I’m not holding my breath about them even shipping the B&P I ordered with it anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Yeah, North America has had shipping delays since TLG released most of the new summer sets on August 1st. For context, I still haven’t received the $19.99 set I bought over weeks ago. I’m not holding my breath about them even shipping the B&P I ordered with it anytime soon.

I had my Pick a Brick order from August 1 ship before my sets. Although the sets arrived today and the PaB order hasn't yet. Bricks and Pieces part of the order is still in the warehouse though.

12 hours ago, eldiano said:

Yeah huge delays right now.

12 hours ago, Project Inkfish said:

Oh its not my site, I just noticed that whoever owns it, apparently @typingduck, finally updated it. 

Oh hahaha! Thanks for the clarification and notifying us of the update.

Neither my order from 29 July nor the one from 5 August has shipped; I guess they're just being slow right now. Is it a summer thing? Whatever; not really important to me. I can be patient. Lego's a slow hobby.

12 hours ago, Hive said:

Yeah huge delays right now.

Thanks, whoa this hobby went from like 6 days turn around time to like back to a month now hahaha wow.  Funnily enough my Apple Pay got declined lol

My orders lately have been taking about 2-3 weeks.  Sometimes it seems the PAB stuff comes before my regular orders.  S@H says they ship next day but they seem to be taking a week or more to actually get shipped and then 3-5 days more to actually arrive.  They say North American orders are seeing delays but then say they ship by the next day but reality is no shipping notice for a week or more for the past few months.

The order from July 27 is finally shipped since August 11. However, the second order from Aug 3 is not yet to be shipped. What a painful delay… I would understand if it’s relating to Delta variant (COVID-19). 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

My July 29 order, now that I check it, says "shipped" on the website, but I haven't gotten an email yet about it shipping. I'm not sure if the shipping-alert emails were super-close to when it said "shipped" on the website for previous orders. My August 5 order still says "in warehouse".

As usual, I can't fault them for slow shipping, especially during a pandemic. But, well, you get what you pay for, and $3 shipping is incredibly cheap! Compare to BrickLink orders from Europe where I'm probably waiting half a month at least, AND paying tens of dollars in shipping. I'll take the super-slow dirt-cheap shipping every time!

1 hour ago, Flak Maniak said:

My July 29 order, now that I check it, says "shipped" on the website, but I haven't gotten an email yet about it shipping. I'm not sure if the shipping-alert emails were super-close to when it said "shipped" on the website for previous orders. My August 5 order still says "in warehouse".

As usual, I can't fault them for slow shipping, especially during a pandemic. But, well, you get what you pay for, and $3 shipping is incredibly cheap! Compare to BrickLink orders from Europe where I'm probably waiting half a month at least, AND paying tens of dollars in shipping. I'll take the super-slow dirt-cheap shipping every time!

I can personally tell you that a quote from bricklink was asking me for 264 with shipping from multiple stores, not including minimum store quotas, same piece count from Lego Bricks and Pieces ended up costing me $64.99 with shipping I only paid $80usd, granted of course I still needed bricklink due to some out of stock parts but it was only at least less than 10usd!!! I never knew how bad shipping and handling was on most cases but lesson learned, I always go to Brick and Pieces before hitting up Bricklink now hehe

Edited by eldiano

I've only been getting individual pieces for the last year or so (always sets previously), and I have wondered why Bricklink is always recommended over direct from LEGO. I rarely find parts that are significantly cheaper on Bricklink, and by the time you pay for postage, it's cheaper from LEGO. Much cheaper if you have to go to multiple Bricklink stores.

It seems to me that Bricklink is better if you need to:

1. Get a lot of the same piece.
  2. Need something old/out of production.
  3. Need something quickly.

I've only used Bricklink a few times to get out of production pieces, but otherwise through LEGO seems better. Have I missed something?

It really depends. Lots of pieces are much cheaper on BL, and sooo many parts/colors aren't available on B&P anymore. But I've trended towards more B&P because I'm less at the mercy of a particular store's contents. If I'm adding a few of one not-super-expensive piece to a B&P order, that's almost always better than trying to get it on BL, even if the BL prices are nominally lower. But... So many things aren't on B&P at all.

I think the best strat for BL and B&P together is to keep an oft-updated wanted list on BL that has "parts you're interested in if they're cheap", then pick a single part that's BL-only, a seed-part. Look at its price guide and pick a BL store that has enough of it for cheap. Then in that store, on the "Shop" tab, hit "Wanted List", and snipe parts from your general-interest wanted list, and maybe have a browse through some part categories/colors in that store, or its minifig section. BrickLink is for hunting down very specific old things, or for being opportunistic and seeing what pops up on a given store. It's not really for the in-between "I really want twenty each of these twenty different parts", unless you're willing to place a pile of orders. (Which sometimes one is!)

Or, I should have outlined B&P's use first: Check if the parts you want are on B&P. If not, put 'em on a BrickLink wanted list. Occasionally compare prices. Sooo many things are cheaper on BL, provided you're already looking at a big BL store with a good selection, so... The trick is to look at them, and see what they have.

Well, maybe you'd say that most of BL's use IS getting things not available at all on B&P, but... That ends up being, over time, most parts in most colors!

Fair enough. And yes, I've been doing the 'seed part' approach (great term). It's actually quite fun going through the particular Bricklink store's inventory to see what I can add to the order I'm going to make anyway. I cleared one store out of animals (mostly Friends stuff), as my daughter loves them. And some interesting minifigs and prints too.