LegoPercyJ

Lego Licensed Parts available from Bricks & Pieces

It's odd about that pig, because the pig was available back when it was in a Nexo Knights set. Not the first thing that's been removed from B&P though.

No surprise, but the reindeer is out of stock again.

I'm still waiting for a lot to become available, especially the red wheelchair, dog harness, tan mid legs, hoodie parts from Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen, and the McGonagall hat hair (which maybe never will, but it's on B&P at all so there's hope).

I don't think that "this part is licensed" is a really coherent thing. I'd much rather be told "this part is not available for sale via B&P for arbitrary reasons" than some contradictory stuff about how Ninjago is a licensed theme or whatever. "We can't sell that directly" without a backing reason is much less galling to me than being told a reason that's clearly wrong or at least clearly insufficient explanation.

I mean, after the one time I called and was told, more or less, that the very concept of minifig capes is licensed... Look, I'd rather they just say "my superiors tell me that I cannot sell that particular element ID to you, and I'm sorry that I can't".

If I could actually know what's going on underneath, talk to the contract lawyers whose words inform the written policies that the managers must inflict on the front-line call center employees, then yeah I'd be curious. But the in-between state of being told incoherent nonsense is just too annoying.

And, well, if I could actually drill down and know the grimy details, I wonder how much of it would be very specifically-negotiated stuff in the contracts with the outside IP holders, how much of it would be arbitrary decisions made by mid-level bureaucrats without much knowledge/say-so from above, and how much would just be random chance/incompetence letting things slip through or not, and just the bureaucracy not following up. I mean, does Lego get serious calls from Marvel when a Captain America torso is on B&P for a moment? Or is there the understanding that, unless there's way too much stuff on there, it's not a big deal? Are the IP-holder reps micromanaging enough, and thinking in enough detail, to say "well, we don't care if a single minifig part makes it on there, so long as the other minifig part it clearly goes with isn't on there as well"?

Also I guess, if you're Lego, what happens if you try to put, say, a printed Captain America torso into a City set? Do you get a stern talking-to from Marvel? What I mean to say is, some parts are clearly a lot more licensed than others. I imagine for certain parts there are very specific agreements that those parts contain this character's IP, and are only allowed to be used in certain ways. You can put an Uruk-Hai sword into a Ninjago set, but there's a lot of stuff you can't do. (And also probably a lot of these parts don't make it on for more mundane reasons.)

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

It's odd about that pig, because the pig was available back when it was in a Nexo Knights set. Not the first thing that's been removed from B&P though.

The eye printing is different.  https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=87621pb01&C=104 vs https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=87621pb04

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Isn't that pig also in the Harry Potter Burrow set? Which may be why it was originally flagged as licensed. But often I think saying something is licensed is just an excuse to get rid of a customer's question.

True, it did come out in the HP set later.  They probably were in development together so it's a fair point.

3 hours ago, Tusserte said:

True, it did come out in the HP set later.  They probably were in development together so it's a fair point.

HP used the budget for the pig, Barracuda Bay "stole" it as they did with all the new parts coming in other sets sice they did not have the budget fond themself.

@Flak Maniak agree wholeheartedly. Unbelievable, wishy-washy reasons irk me far more than a blanket statement simply staying "because we're just not selling that". Similar to some of the reasons the Star Wars team representatives gave in that fairly recent Brickset interview, giving BS reasons for not making particular sets rather than simply saying "because we don't feel like making those models". A BS reason makes you feel like you're being lied to.

The "licensed" reason is such a cop out when it comes to B&P. If they were going to license lock animals from Harry Potter, they should've done that to the Patronuses from the get go, yet they were available (probably until someone realised and removed them). Not a plain old pig!

Regardless, B&P is and always must be seen as just a favour to the fans. I get annoyed as much as the next person at the inconsistencies, and LEGO could definitely impose some purchase limits on desirable parts (you don't have to be a statistician that consumers and hence scalpers want new animals), but all in all it's amazing that we can buy such a wide variety of parts brand new from the source, and a LEGO employee in Denmark will hand pick the order and send it out.

Yeah it's definitely true that offering B&P at all is going above and beyond, and one should be grateful even if it's not 100% complete parts access. And even if the explanations over the phone about part availability often clearly can't be true, well, the real explanations still wouldn't let us buy any of those parts.

Man I hope that the "out of stock" for so many 2021 parts right now means they'll be actually available eventually; stuff like the new trans-light blue robot head is just great. Gotta have 'em! I didn't think Lego was introducing all that many new parts I'd want, but perusing it, well, there may be a bunch actually!

I'd also like them to just do a "yes we will sell that to you" or "we don't sell that part" type reasons rather than them trying to explain reasons. Plus it may help consistency.  I once wanted a load (40) of dark green standard capes and the only set that had them was the Ra's al Ghul set. The first time I asked, I was told they were licensed. I tried again about a month later and the rep said it was fine to buy, so I asked if they could be bought individually as all the capes in that set come in a pack. The rep said they cannot split them but I could always sell the ones I don't want on ebay or bricklink!

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I tried again about a month later and the rep said it was fine to buy, so I asked if they could be bought individually as all the capes in that set come in a pack. The rep said they cannot split them but I could always sell the ones I don't want on ebay or bricklink!

Do they still sell you capes to this day? How much are they usually?

It makes sense that they don't split up the boxes since the warehouse is based on inventory for sets. They'd have all the boxes packaged up for all of the current sets, as that's how they go in. Pretty sure if you legitimately requested one replacement cape (say it came ripped) from Replacement Parts, you'd also still get the whole box of cloth for that set.

4 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

Yeah it's definitely true that offering B&P at all is going above and beyond, and one should be grateful even if it's not 100% complete parts access. And even if the explanations over the phone about part availability often clearly can't be true, well, the real explanations still wouldn't let us buy any of those parts.

Man I hope that the "out of stock" for so many 2021 parts right now means they'll be actually available eventually; stuff like the new trans-light blue robot head is just great. Gotta have 'em! I didn't think Lego was introducing all that many new parts I'd want, but perusing it, well, there may be a bunch actually!

I cant find the robot head you are talking about. From which set is it?

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

If I tell you, do you promise not to buy 500 of them? :laugh:

I think this is what's referred to: https://brickset.com/sets/31111-1/Cyber-Drone

Hahahha thanks. No I probably won’t. I never buy 500 of each piece. :pir-cry_happy: just 499. But no seriously. I buy a lot of different ones but not that many of each except the gold pieces :)

21 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Do they still sell you capes to this day? How much are they usually?

It makes sense that they don't split up the boxes since the warehouse is based on inventory for sets. They'd have all the boxes packaged up for all of the current sets, as that's how they go in. Pretty sure if you legitimately requested one replacement cape (say it came ripped) from Replacement Parts, you'd also still get the whole box of cloth for that set.

I think i paid about £2.00 or so per box although that was about four years ago, back when torsos were about 50p each.

Now that my internet is (hopefully) fixed properly its time to start building up the list of potential parts for my next B&P order I think :)

On 1/14/2021 at 8:56 AM, Clone OPatra said:

@Flak Maniak agree wholeheartedly. Unbelievable, wishy-washy reasons irk me far more than a blanket statement simply staying "because we're just not selling that". Similar to some of the reasons the Star Wars team representatives gave in that fairly recent Brickset interview, giving BS reasons for not making particular sets rather than simply saying "because we don't feel like making those models". A BS reason makes you feel like you're being lied to.

The "licensed" reason is such a cop out when it comes to B&P. If they were going to license lock animals from Harry Potter, they should've done that to the Patronuses from the get go, yet they were available (probably until someone realised and removed them). Not a plain old pig!

Regardless, B&P is and always must be seen as just a favour to the fans. I get annoyed as much as the next person at the inconsistencies, and LEGO could definitely impose some purchase limits on desirable parts (you don't have to be a statistician that consumers and hence scalpers want new animals), but all in all it's amazing that we can buy such a wide variety of parts brand new from the source, and a LEGO employee in Denmark will hand pick the order and send it out.

A customer service rep told me LEGO doesn’t make any money from B&P, I don’t know how true this is though.

Looks like there aren't enough of the new bits available yet to make a B&P order worthwhile (showing up as 0.00 price so never been sold)

If they're not making money from B&P, then... Well, they should charge us more. Honestly it seems wrong that shipping to the US is only $3; I mean sure they must be able to leverage various logistical advantages when shipping to the States, but come on. If they want to charge more for shipping or for parts, go ahead. (Especially if it means a broader selection will be available.) But, well, if they're just running it out of the goodness of their hearts... Then consider me appreciative of that goodness!

Obviously when you have the shipping volume of Lego, you don't pay the same as the average joe, but still, they must be losing a lot of money sending letters with just 1 or 2 parts inside, all the time (whether it's for missing parts in sets or in B&P orders), plus of course the phone support and manual handling. I always thought that shipping was built-in part prices, though, which is what made shipping so cheap, as it would only be the basis.

But still, it's a service they need for missing parts anyway, they may as well sell as well. And perhaps in the future they will automate orders more. I don't even understand how a B&P order can be missing parts - if someone knows the exact weight of every part, it's Lego itself, it should be easy to verify every order by weight. But it looks like even that isn't automated.

Edited by anothergol

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

And perhaps in the future they will automate orders more. I don't even understand how a B&P order can be missing parts - if someone knows the exact weight of every part, it's Lego itself, it should be easy to verify every order by weight. But it looks like even that isn't automated.

They had to reship me the same part two times because they kept sending the totally wrong part.  I could understand of it was the same part in a different color but they kept sending me a 2x2 slide shoe instead of a 6x6 satellite dish and not even the same color as what I actually ordered.  I finally had to send them a photo of the incorrect parts they sent me to get it straightened out.  I'm sure that 6x6 part weighs considerably more than the 2x2 they kept sending besides it costing way more.  Another time they actually sent me quite a few more profile bricks than I had actually ordered which added more weight.

58 minutes ago, karrit said:

I could understand of it was the same part in a different color

Depends, I don't think they pick parts by visuals - or I didn't, until one day I got an upwards bracket instead of downwards in an order. But it'd be strange if they were really picking them visually. Perhaps the part was put inside the wrong bin, or they were 2 really close to each other.
I too have had missing batches or extra random ones, so yeah there is no checking.

1 hour ago, karrit said:

They had to reship me the same part two times because they kept sending the totally wrong part.  I could understand of it was the same part in a different color but they kept sending me a 2x2 slide shoe instead of a 6x6 satellite dish and not even the same color as what I actually ordered.  I finally had to send them a photo of the incorrect parts they sent me to get it straightened out.  I'm sure that 6x6 part weighs considerably more than the 2x2 they kept sending besides it costing way more.  Another time they actually sent me quite a few more profile bricks than I had actually ordered which added more weight.

That's unusual I am pretty sure I had the *EXACT* same issue last year or in 2019.

9 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

That's unusual I am pretty sure I had the *EXACT* same issue last year or in 2019.

Had a similar issue with some of my orders in July. Once and a while when I place these I get the wrong part or the wrong multiple of a part. Now whenever I get an order I always check the parts I received against a snapshot that I make when I placed the bricks into my cart. Can be really annoying considering Lego's response time during the pandemic, but I think Lego must be really overwhelmed right now due to the increased sales caused by loads of people being stuck at home with nothing to do. Thankfully, Lego has always been really good about fixing these types of errors.

Btw, anyone who order the bull-suit guy get confirmation that their parts shipped?

Edited by Garmetrowolf

Here are some recent parts that are currently showing up as "for sale" for me:

Green wheelbarrow (from the new City Roadwork Truck)

Torso from the Lantern Festival with the tan open jacket and white shirt.

Grey jumper/vest torso from the Story of Nian (with the red arms)

That thing that goes around the neck that looks like a pair of headphones (in both dark tan and teal)

1 x 2 tile with new computer keyboard print (the one that has no lettering on the keys)

dark blue jumper torso from the lantern festival

1 x 2 tile medium azure with new cellphone print

2 x 2 slope in white with a display screen that has a crosshair on it and also an arrow pointing to a slot.

road sign square with a new computer screen print in various shades of blue

tile 2 x 2 with a new computer screen print in various shades of green

white cow/bull/Minotaur horn

dark tan roller skate

slope 2 x 2 light bley with vertical black stripes

1 x 3 tile with yellow caution stripes

steering wheel from the new Ecto-1

titanium metallic minifig head

1 x 2 tile light bley with 2 dials and some sort of graph screen and some buttons.

1 x 1 round tile with a new-style of gauge/dial print.

1 x 1 brick with glass of milk milk carton print

1 x 1 light bley tile with a new-style of gauge/dial print

1 x 1 light bley tile with a blue display, red round button, and 3x3 grid of buttons.

1 x 2 tile with new style notepad print

1 x 2 tile with new style envelope with red stamp print

2 x 2 white slope with green targeting screen, big lever and 6 switches.

corn costume with dark green husk

head with hearing aid print

dark green mayor suit torso

trans-orange cocktail/sundae glass from Diagon Alley

dark brown wizzard broom

dark brown wand box from Diagon Alley

green "cloud" plate

Not enough parts are "for sale" right now to make an order worth it though (mostly because of the high shipping costs to Australia :)

One interesting thing is that the CMF 21 minifigs won't give you a part list on B&P so Brickset.com hasn't discovered the part numbers.  However, for the recolors, B&P does have the individual parts if you search by design ID.  Examples:

* 65578 (the angled bar with stud) lets you find 6326748 which is the new LBG version from the beekeeper.

* 3899 (cup) lets you find 6236213 which is the new silver version from the beekeeper.

Sadly, these have price 0 right now so they aren't for sale.  Has anyone discovered any other ones?