IvanStorm

[MOD/MOC] Middle-earth 16x16

Being a bit tired of big MOCs, I decided to create a series of 16x16 models based on The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. I've actually created them over the course of 2 years, but never got around to take pictures and post them, until now. Some of them are based on existing sets and even reusing whole parts of them, other are more original. The purpose was to display the minifigs and the best parts of the official sets.

Rules:

- Strictly 16x16, some overhang allowed.

- No visible studs, if possible.

- Very limited color palette.

23022307924_bb12f97a26_b.jpg

23022306304_44b5869387_c.jpg

Rivendell set was the first Lego I bought in over 15 years. I was amazed at how beautiful it looked, compared to the early 90's sets. Here's my tribute to it, and a way to display the great Elrond and Arwen minifigs.

23568054831_f77bf3a5f5_c.jpg

White Council

23568057441_e32dc78321_c.jpg

Thorin is brought before Thranduil, one of the best scenes in The Hobbit. Love the way Lee Pace is lounging on his throne, his portrayal of Thranduil was absolutely perfect.

23282534399_8ab0dd1b15_c.jpg

There's a lightbrick underneath, with a mirror directing the light into the Palantir. Unfortunately, by the time I got to take some pictures, the battery has died.

23282537389_dc59668c94_c.jpg

I dismantled my Moria set quite shortly after building it, since I needed parts for a Helm's Deep MOC. Here's my tribute to it, and a way to display the cave troll, Boromir and Gimli.

23650482475_e8d4209b10_c.jpg

23650476245_442b43533f_c.jpg

23624401596_47b96e0185_c.jpg

Edited by IvanStorm

All of these are excellent, but I must say my favorites are the white council, and Rivendell :wub: Do you plan to add to this series?

All of these are excellent, but I must say my favorites are the white council, and Rivendell :wub: Do you plan to add to this series?

Yes, absolutely. Have plenty of ideas in mind, and as I run out of shelf space I might also convert parts of official sets into 16x16.

This is a neat concept. Rivendell is indeed beautiful - the design and colors are among the best official sets and your scene looks great with the curving stairs. The White Council is nice too. Keep it up.

Awesome, it looks like official sets. Keep up with good work. I would like to see one with Frodo and Gholum in Mount Doom.

Well Done! Very clever design. Do you plan to make Rohan and Gondor stuff? I would love an Osgiliath based MOC...

Gondor stuff is more difficult, because there are no minifigs :( And to tell the truth, I'm not that fond of Osgiliath - after all, it's just a bunch of gray ruins. Rohan - maybe. The main purpose for those builds was to display my minifigs, and I have none from Rohan or Gondor (all the Rohan ones are in my Helm's Deep).

Fantastic idea, and awesome execution. !

I reallly love all of your MOC´s. Cant pick a favorite !

Looking forward to see more .. :thumbup:

Excellent builds that capture both the spirit of the scene and the set (where applicable). My favorite is the White Council for both the dome and the wonderful parts usage for the seat backs.

These are quite nice, well done!

The main purpose for those builds was to display my minifigs, and I have none from Rohan or Gondor (all the Rohan ones are in my Helm's Deep).

I would love to see Helm's Deep shrunk down to 16x16! :laugh:

These are spectacular! Very well executed and the 16x16 seems to force some creativity that leads to great results. Thanks for sharing.

These are inspirational! It's not everyday that you see small MOCs that are this well done. The idea of setting rules for yourself really helps to create a cohesive set and the builds are absolutely fantastic.

Wow, thanks guys, the praise is overwhelming. The reason I only put the pictures up only now (I finished the first one more than a year ago) is I didn't think people would be particularly interested. Glad I was wrong about it :)