Sign in to follow this  
Wardancer

CCC XIII Princess Evadia on Swivt the Hippogriff

CCC XIII Princess Evadia on Swivt the Hippogriff

No one understands how this partnership ever came to pass. Sublime, untamed, even tremendous – maybe it was these attributes that unified beast and mistress. Today, everyone who sets foot on Elven land should remember that it is not only a place for a princess to conquer the skies, but also a hippogriff's territory.

And be warned, she might just a harbinger of greater things to come...

23266132749_ef7b162200_c.jpgCCC XIII Evadia on Swivt 1 by MWardancer, auf Flickr

23266132019_563d32ea08_c.jpgCCC XIII Evadia on Swivt 2 by MWardancer, auf Flickr

23525498542_94dc088d4f_c.jpgCCC XIII Evadia on Swivt 3 by MWardancer, auf Flickr

List of customization techniques

1. The Yellowification of Boobs: Chimas Eris torso has blue skin, this needed to be painted yellow.

2. The fake'o'leg'o'mount: legs sawn of, glued to hippogriff, new sides of legs printed, painted and glued on to create the illusion of legs protruding into the beast.

3. Shine bright like a diamond: Instead of the blue gem I cut off a transparent green tip of some plant and glued it to the torso.

4. The forging of the lance: It consists of a Brickwarriors torch and two spears.

5. Painting the beast: Otherwise it is just plain gray. I only painted a few areas to keep the basic color scheme. Also I used pegasus wings.

6. Breastplate sigil: The hippogriff's breastplate is cut from a Brickwarriors armor. The stag is a nailart fingernail stencil painted gold.

7. Gras into antlers: The antlers on the helmet are Brickwarriors plumes painted gray.

8. Mouting the mount: I had to cheat a little to make a round 1x1 transparent plate to stabilize the whole thing.

9. Capeow: The wonderful dark green glittery cape is custom made by "Jeddy and Daddy" productions (available on Bricklink).

C&C welcome!

Edited by Wardancer

Wow Dancer (heh that should be your new name) this is the 3rd year I've seen you enter the custom build in CCC it just gets better and better!

Great stuff

I don't want to scare off people from the competition, but the opposite, I hope people customize more.

I will add a few more pictures soon.

Edited by Wardancer

Great work! Mind if I copy Swivt for my new Hippogriff division? Not sure if I'll have Elven Riders or Halflings (the Small Folk get so little by way of exotic transport) I'm a new member but longtime fan of your work.

Thank you.Please copy all you wish.

Hippogriff division? How many do you have?

Are you aware that the pegasus wings are now available in brown in the angry birds mighty eagle? Once I get them I will make a hippogriff in brown.

Edited by Wardancer

One 1/2 done (drying) having been painted as per your pix. One "Buckbeak" on order from BL. Wings on the way from TLG, shop at home parts dept. Planning on five total, designated a "wing" in our game club. Need executive approval for further expenditures. My orders this month are my birthday presents.

Thanks for the AB tip. Hippogriff in brown would be cool.

Couldn't find part number in set #75826, too new on PL on BL, LEGO, or Brickset.

I'm using flat silver ID [20312] right wing pn 6114674 & [20313] left wing pn 6114675 $.67 US at TLG. Hope they look as good IRL as yours.

Edited by MrRoy

Sounds like a good plan. The hippogriffs are quite expensive unfortunately. I have three, and this only because I found the last one for very cheap.

Painting was not very difficult. I did not paint the hinges which hold the wings on the inside. Paint would surely peel of if it moves. The straight lines around the feet I made by using tape. For the eyes I painted the holes first in black and then the yellow afterwards.

The most difficult thing is the fake leg technique. When you cut of the studs you risk damaging the expensive body. I have five giant eagles here, too, they also will Look fine with the fake leg technique I hope.

Edited by Wardancer

I don't dare cut such an expensive part either, so I just cut a white saddle (removing the 1x2 with the dremel cutter and sanding it smooth) Then I used two 1x2 gray tiles, one floating under the saddle rear atop the Hippogriff's back and one on the front most two studs just behind its neck. This allows the saddle to "sit flat." Although it is raised it looks ok. Finally, I stacked two 1x2 plates inside the saddle on the other two studs to simulate the legs of the mini-fig torso atop.

I didn't paint the hinges either, doesn't show. I did eyes yellow first then just a dot inside for black. Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna figure out how to post pix someday. Then I'll really be dangerous.

BTW love the Dark Elves. By far, my favorite fantasy race and some of your best pix.

All for now.

Edited by MrRoy

O.K. So, I painted two just like you, but I got two more from BL. I want to know what other colors do you suggest instead of white for the feathers. I'm still using the silver wings. I think black beak is still the way to go unless you think I should try a different combo. Thank you in advance for the insight. And yeah, I'm still trying to figure photos. Can I post to MOC-pages and then imbed them here?

Hmm, this is a difficult question. What I did was googling pictures of griffins and hippogriffs and then I went for white when I saw one with white feathers. With so much silver and gray you simply do not have many options. Both are 'cold' colors, so I think you cannot mix warm colors into the bird. Maybe a shade of gray that is darker than the body but lighter than the beak. there is a light gray lego horse with dark gray spots, this looks good.

I dont know about mocpages, sorry.

Many of the pictures I saw show gray hippogriffs with yellow beaks. This would also be an option. I would prefer dark orange I guess, yellow is associated with a minifig's skin.

Edited by Wardancer

Fantastic response. Thank you so much. I've got that horse you mention. Plan to color match the dark patches as you suggest and find an yellow-orange for the beak 'cause I totally agree with your suggestions. Will update...

Edited by MrRoy

I went birdwatching in Costa Rica today and saw a gray bird with orange/almost red beak and feet. I think this Color scheme works really well, but it puts a lot of emphasis on the beak and feet.

Was the bird an Inca Tern?

Also, have you ever been to the orchid gardens in Santa Elena?

Edited by MrRoy

Not an Inca Term, different beak.I don't remember, so many bird names today. I am in Santa Elena right now :-) Maybe I can check out the orchids.

Edited by Wardancer

Definitely worth it. Get a "student" to give you a tour (they are like grad students, they know their stuff) give them a little gratuity and they will take you through the park and show you the coolest flowers you'll never see again anywhere in your life!

Unfortunately we did not make it to the orchids. Meanwhile, I have returned to Germany.

I am working on a hippogriff with an armored head. It requires chopping off parts of his head though.

The mighty eagle wings are not available under 25 Euros yet, so it will have to wait.

Costa Rica must be popular right now, cause friends of mine left yesterday for San Jose. I went in 1988. Remind me to tell you my story about that trip someday.

I chickened out on the grey. Got two Buckbeaks just sitting waiting a moment of lucidity when I get some courage to try something.

Good luck on armored Hippy! Can't wait to see it.

Mighty eagles from angry birds? Whoa, awesome idea!

I like Rayhawk's, blue wing, though!. Is that the Mike Rayhawk? Met him once at BrickfairNE 2014, Manchester, NH. I'm a huge fan of his work!

In the same thread he mentions that he built a red and a blue hippogriff rider. Including spraypainting and other techniques. But the pictures are mit online anymore.

Thanks.

Rayhawk--Brikwars, yes. Found out he works for TLG and is in the graphical arts department. According to Whiteagle, he was required to attend a new employee orientation within the department, where the moderator was tasked with exposing new team members to the artwork of one Mike Rayhawk. He later described the experience as surreal. I don't know all the details, but that is about as good as it gets.

BTW they're talking about you on Ideas. The want to see a (purist) Wardancer project. Can't say I would mind seeing that myself. Let me know before you do, though. I don't want to waste your time. :)

I am editing this on 5/28, asking for an update if you have done anything new on color scheme with your additional two units. If so, would you post your "wing" for us sometime? Thank you, Wardancer.

Also, it was nice to see you ono Ideas.

Edited by MrRoy