Sign in to follow this  
Phil B

Santa's Holiday Train (MOC based on 10173)

Hello Everybody - My first post here on this forum, and I'd like to share the customized 10173 Holiday Train I've just completed. This consist will be making its rounds around our Christmas tree this year, driving through a scenic winter wonderland populated by Toy Shops, Santa's Workshops, Winter Cottages and Winter Markets ..... to name a few.

22988281623_79060e06d0_b.jpg

"Before heading out into the icy cold on Christmas Eve, Santa likes to do his toy & present shopping in a little luxury. For this purpose he recently invested in a special Holiday Train, so he can travel in style. Complete with livestock car for his reindeer, a cargo car for his presents and comfortable passenger arrangements, this train travels the country in search of the best gifts ...."

After finally pulling the trigger on BrickLinking my 10173 Holiday Train, I decided to motorize the train in a slightly different way. The livestock car houses 2 PF Medium motors, a rechargeable battery and an IR receiver. The small chimney on the livestock car acts as an ON/OFF switch. The small flatbed car carries Santa's sleigh. The power of the 2 Medium motors is sufficient to move the entire train forward at a nice scale speed without racing too much. I'm utilizing my small powered bogies/trucks for this car.

Here are some more pics of my creation - they can also be found on my Flickr Account.

23319644310_27a74c2d9f_b.jpg

23532942681_4eb3e4e285_b.jpg

23247410689_4af7dedb70_b.jpg

23506767352_9b76bd11df_b.jpg

22988281623_79060e06d0_b.jpg

Let me know what you think ....

Good job. There might be some complaints from city passengers sitting down wind behind the livestock car. :wink:

Good job. There might be some complaints from city passengers sitting down wind behind the livestock car. :wink:

That's a nice experience indeed for the esteemed guests on that car :) Will make sure the passenger train sits well in the back (or perhaps the livestock car goes there) once the train starts operating ....

That's rather excellent. Some great design and even true-to-life operating principles, like chaining the sleigh down to the flat car. It's going to look great making it's way through your festive scene.

Maybe I've just bought into the propaganda over the years, but shouldn't your reindeer have a different colour nose...?

That's rather excellent. Some great design and even true-to-life operating principles, like chaining the sleigh down to the flat car. It's going to look great making it's way through your festive scene.

Maybe I've just bought into the propaganda over the years, but shouldn't your reindeer have a different colour nose...?

No ... Rudolph would not stick his nose out of the window of a running train, that with his nose already being all swollen and irritated ....

No ... Rudolph would not stick his nose out of the window of a running train, that with his nose already being all swollen and irritated ....

Rudolph can ride the back of the caboose as the F.R.E.D. (flashing rear end device). Good build, so many fun possibilities for Xmas. :classic: