Sign in to follow this  
Janjy Giggins

[MOC] Castle Durstan

22988757514_9f0723a3c6_z.jpg

A long time in the making, and to be honest only ever half-finished before I ran out of bricks yet again and decided I didn't want to invest any more money in it. It's a companion piece to my ship the Sea Hawk, and would originally have continued the story I started there. It was originally intended as an expansion and updating of the old Black Falcon castle.

In the end though I overreached myself. It was too big for my flat, too hard on the wallet, and it used a lot of the pieces of my UCS Millennium Falcon, which I wanted to rebuild. So in the end I abandoned it about half-finished. The right-hand chunk in the picture above is finished, and that's what I'll focus on in the rest of my pics, but the left-hand one's little more than a facade behind the tower. I never even started the back wall, which would have included a great hall and lord's tower.

I'm still proud of it, but I'll be more careful about biting off more than I can chew in future!

23616979285_f7840f7c18_z.jpg

23590897106_4f9939fce2_z.jpg

22989920663_3031c9662b_z.jpg

23616939395_8768554f7e_z.jpg

23534553631_0f0ae18fe0_z.jpg

23534560871_03f873641d_z.jpg

23616970855_174f936733_z.jpg

This is a gorgeous castle gate with lots of interesting little areas to explore. I love the overall tone of the build, along with the scale. I really like the nice cave areas.

Great work!

To bad you didnt get to finish it.

The exterior castle wall and spires + rockwork is looking superb.

It still surprises me how even small builds swallow up huge amount of bricks.

Once again, would have loved to se the finished result, but what you accomplished looks great indeed. :classic:

It makes a great impression even unfinished! So many detailes. Have you been creating LEGO sets long to become such a skillful master builder?!!! A piece of art with unusual building techniques. It takes me a year and a half to creat my biggest Shogun castle. And what about yours?

A lovely castke, build with some lovely techniques! The best part is the tomb!

Super castle - very original in it's structure. Indeed, shame that you did not finish it. Looks excellent!

Another solid castle - I like the structure, even if a little more detailing would have gone a long way. Good work!

Even unfinished it looks great. As I said on Flickr, I love all the little caverns and hideouts, especially that tomb. Awesome!