I always feel for the rebel ground troops in the Battle of Hoth. Hopelessly outgunned and vehicle-less, being served as cannon fodder for the AT-ATs. So I wanted to give them somewhat of a fighting chance. Hence, my MOC of Hoth Rebel Combat Speeder/Universal Carrier.

GvsrSjI.png?1

This is the same vehicle featured in 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack.

4OeGayP.jpg?1

The vehicle is dubbed "Rebel Combat Speeder" by TLG.

But this model, which I once thought to be one of TLG's imaginary vehicles, actually existed as described in Star Wars Wikia as "laser ice-cutter".

Mlo56Ic.png

Source: http://starwars.wiki...aser_ice-cutter

A 1980 ESB making documentary features the following. It has been suggested the vehicle was edited out becaue it rode too much like a 'snow mobile' rathe than a 'speeder'.

L7xC97J.jpg?1

7gRC9NQ.jpg?1

A photo of the set shows the followng.

992.jpg

Now, the vehicle can actually be seen in SW Ep.V as follows.

ESBrebelhovertank.jpg

Upon frame by frame analysis, I've found the following.

eu2voGJ.jpg

ipUxJuz.jpg

9kMgSRG.jpg

IMO, the description that this vehicle's primary purpose is as an "ice-cutter" for the excavation of Echo Base is not correct. It is obviously a combat vehicle much like the Universal Carrier/Bren Gun Carrier or M16 Multiple Gun Carriage or FLAK halftrack.

Hence, my design of that mystery rebel vehicle.

eS0CILD.png?1

TFTuK2s.png

io79Weq.png?1

pTyhX6f.png?1

QddMkPP.png?1

Edited by YSDWDY

Awesome detective work. I've seen that movie a hundred times and never once noticed that vehicle. Also a great design.

Whoa! How did I not know that was real! Great update of a little set.... and I think it's safe to assume this may be the best MOC of a laser ice cutter ever (by virtue of it being the only MOC of a laser ice cutter :wink: ). Just bodacious!

IMO, the description that this vehicle's primary purpose is as an "ice-cutter" for the excavation of Echo Base is not correct. It is obviously a combat vehicle much like the Universal Carrier/Bren Gun Carrier or M16 Multiple Gun Carriage or FLAK halftrack.
Either way, it would be a very Rebel thing to do to re-jig a civilian device for military purposes. The Snowspeeder itself was retrofitted from a cargo hauler, in the Legends continuity at least.

The entire diorama is stunning. Great work all around!

Very interesting post, thank you. I never noticed that vehicle before (although Lego evidently did). I'll have to make one of those things, now.

I like this Combat Speeder you made. It looks really good and fits in quite well at the Rebel base. Thanks for all you detective work, that is some interesting information. :thumbup:

You've done exceptional work on upgrading an otherwise obscure Rebel vehicle.

It seems like the Rebellion forces came up short when it came to troop carriers.

Super job ! :wink:

WOW. I've never noticed this either and had the same assumption that it was made up. You can tell that they drew inspiration from the WWII halftracks in it's design and I like how you incorporated the fold down sides to allow the cannons to traverse! Reminds me of the German vehicles. :thumbup:

It's simpleness makes it look exciting, though I believe it does function as an "ice cutter," as it seems practical that it would have been utilized to excavate the trenches on the battlefield.

I, too, thought that this was just a made up vehicle and a rather dull one at that. Very nice representation and a welcome addition to any Hoth display. Love the rest of your models to include that brick-built Taun-Taun! I'd be very interested in any LDD files you may be willing to share.