stu808

Unbuilt Set Backlog...

I kept buying sets while we were building a new house, but didn't build anything at all for over a year as there was going be a dedicated hobby room that I thought I'd wait to use. I just got everything moved over and in one place, and it turns out I might have just a wee addiction problem happening from the looks of the backlog...

IMG_1576_zpsvzzbmjrm.jpg

IMG_1577_zps0s7fxjpj.jpg

IMG_1578_zpsucbcjucu.jpg

Glad to read about others with this dilemma. On one hand, I can't stand my numerous unopened sets, on the other, I dream of the day I too can build and display them. My old city takes up too much storage space since moving and keeping them assembled. Feels like a waste to have, but even in a box they are nice to look at until the day I can build again :classic:

Sets get retired too quickly for some of us to build everything we like. I too have a handful of sets I couldn't imagine passing up, but currently dont have space or time for. Seeing my twin Town Halls still in their box bothers me less than paying $700 plus for them when I have the space.

Don't wait too long to build those sets. Some times Fate may not be too kind with our life spans.

Well. I'm willing to do a little charity and get those unbuilt boxes off your hands :D

I think we all would like to help him out getting those sets built. :laugh:

It must be hard not to open these boxes. ^^

I have to admit that I'm curious to know the buget you allocate to Legos.

It must be hard not to open these boxes. ^^

I have to admit that I'm curious to know the buget you allocate to Legos.

Having them stored away definitely isn't my ideal. Since having made my last post I have been inspired to make room and force them into a spot.

I have no set budget currently so money out varies a lot, it stretches a lot further when not purchasing at retired prices though. Try to get what I can while they are still retail, even if they can't currently be displayed. My Town Halls I found in a local toy shop after being retired, had I properly missed them and had to pay what they go for now, it may be the only regular building in my XL modular collection.

The first time when I had a backlog was in 1995, although maybe that was some sort of MISB collecting (finding 12 years and older and I did not wanted to open them too fast).

Since then I had two "grey ages" only buying, not building. My backlog is over 30.000 pieces by now.

I want to share a couple of "budget" stories.

In a conversation with non-AFOL friends I happened to mention my yearly budget for buying Lego. They frowned and gasped (along with my NLSO) when I said "anywhere from 10-30000NOK (=1000-3000Euro), end of conversation. When other people tell about their recent buy of diving equipment, or the gasolene/extra parts budget for their sports motor bike madness of the same amount, somehow these expenditures are socially more acceptable. Who knows why. All 3 complete time consuming, expensive and meaningless hobbies (in the sense that any free time should be spent on community service, philantropy etc etc).

The other day my NLSO happened to overlook the last bill of sales from a Lego store. She was flabbergasted the price of "more than 8000?". Good for me that she read the DKK sum, not the NOK lower on the receipt which read 11000+ :laugh: . This is, however, the most I have spent at one shot in a Lego store ever. She for some reason did not react the same to spending 330000 NOK on our new car which she is using (cars in Norway are taxed through the roof, so this is at the lower end of the scale..., therefore I use the bike).

IMHO Lego is expensive and I try to arrange for the cheaper deals as much as I can, but in the long run, buying Lego is no worse than buying stuff for other hobbies. Go for it!

Still sealed 9 sets: 2x 10233, 31036, 60051, 60073, 60081, 60083, 60084, 60095. And I finished to build set 31026 (my 2014 self-Christmas-present) just some days ago!

I fully agree with baard. Yes, for some reason the amount I've spent on Lego totally shocks some people, when in comparison to the dollars they're poured into motor/water/snow sports I'm still at a low percentage of those sums.

My budget calculation process is really quite simple...since I stopped smoking, I've allocated the amount that a pack a day would cost me to my hobby fund. When I quit in 2003 that was right at $10/day, and now it's up to almost $5000/year. So it's really a win-win situation, as I'm not engaged in that filthy money wasting habit anymore, and I have a decent budget to spend on hobbies and the occasional bottle of fine single malt now. :classic:

GO! Farmer Harv! :excited:

Well done!

My budget is proportional to how much I donate (waste) each week to Philip Morris or Alfred Dunhill... and the Danish plastic is slowly but surely winning

That's one of the reasons why I'm here, spend the money on something else, better, much better.

Also down here smoking is taxed to death (pun intended) so the new weekly budget is going to be good.

Stu :)

P.S. However the odd single malt and Cuban corona does lead me astray :tongue:

At the risk of introducing topic drift, I do find the discussion surrounding acceptable levels of spending on LEGO very interesting.

Like most guys here, I have friends and colleagues with expensive hobbies and pastimes who will happily lavish many hundreds or even thousands of pounds funding them. One chap I work with has a TVR of some description which is emptying his bank account without even turning a wheel, as is the way with TVRs. However, when they talk about spending a three figure sum on some new pedals for their bicycle because they are a few grams lighter we all sit politely, listen and nod at their wisdom. Mention that you've spent 20 quid on a bag of LEGO bricks and you get hoots of derision because "it's a toy".

As a consequence, I'm still very much "in the closet" about being an AFOL. Even my girlfriend doesn't know. I don't know why I feel so embarrassed about my hobby when it's no less creative than any other form of railway modelling or engineering and no less financially arduous than golf or motorcycling.

But to bring the discussion back on-topic, I don't have a backlog of unbuilt sets but rather a backlog of unbuilt LDD projects. I guess my compulsion is not so tied-in with buying stuff but rather with designing stuff.

With Christmas just around the corner... My unbuilt set backlog is not going to get any better. I have come to the conclusion that with my backlog, new releases and no additional time or display space... Well, I will just have to live with a backlog.

Andy D

I am being good this Xmas. I received a set from the LUG's Xmas party and I built it right away. My backlog did not grow. :classic:

I am being good this Xmas. I received a set from the LUG's Xmas party and I built it right away. My backlog did not grow. :classic:

Let us know how this works out after Christmas morning.

Andy D