stu808

Unbuilt Set Backlog...

...is this normal?

I have a growing number of sets I've not built, I remember bringing home 60098 and thinking "Yay! I can build it this weekend". But no :look:

And what hasn't helped is that I've decided I needed some track-side structures and started acquiring various City/Creator sets too...

Now in certain photographic circles we call this GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), same thing or something different???

Stu :)

Totally normal - I have lots of unopened sets waiting to be built but have no room to build or display until I move. But you can't pass up a deal or you're practically losing money...or at least that's what I tell myself....

lol I never leave sets in their boxes for more then a week. Just can't get my hands of them. the only times those thing happen are on holidays and when I'm somewhere where LEGO building is just impossible, like at christmas. I can't build the sets when I'm not at home.

it would seem you are in or entering into the upper levels of AFOL'ness I wouldn't say its common for someone to have a backlog of unbuilt sets (unless they are a reseller) but its not exactly rare either. and yeah i'd say its much the same thing as your "GAS" where you buy things you don't need or really want but the deal is too god to pass up. also could be a bit of PS (Pokesyndrome: Gotta buy em all) going on, which is my normal issue.

All my sets are built and running (if trains), I just cannot afford more right now. I would be thrilled to build any sets that anyone have stored away. Lego should not be stored in a box, but proudly displayed and admired.

Ha ha, definitely a first-world problem no? :classic:

Another saying in some circles is "all the gear, no idea". Just putting that out there. :wink:

I don't have this problem. I do have boxes and boxes of parts from Bricklink though :sceptic:

Edited by andythenorth

I have way too many unopened or deboxed but unbuilt sets, mostly because I don't have time to build them. It's not a horrible problem to have, at least I have the money to buy them and eventually time will come back and I can build again. :wink:

It may also be a sign of how long one has been an AFOL. I am starting to get a backlog of sets (the Scooby Doo and Heavy Hauler) that I want to build, but also I have a few sets I plan to 'archive' (Lone ranger train, Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture sets, 3rd Pet Shop, etc). My Partner has more sets in her backlog than she has built, due to time and space constraints. I'm personally still limited in getting parts for my current projects, my list seems never to shrink.

I can safely say all my train sets are built or parted into other train MOCs. I have some sets from other themes that I haven't got around to building. They are buried inside a storage closet. I guess out of sight, out of mind. I don't remember them until each time someone posts a topic about unbuilt sets. :laugh:

Totally normal - I have lots of unopened sets waiting to be built but have no room to build or display until I move. But you can't pass up a deal or you're practically losing money...or at least that's what I tell myself....

This is exactly what I tell myself, how I justify my purchases. Especially the part about losing money if I don't buy it!

Andy D

Yeah, not abnormal! I have a closet full of unbuilt sets that haven't been opened for various reasons, and now that I'm far enough into AFOL-ness I've run into a related issue: I have some sets that I fully intended to build and enjoy, but now they've been hanging out unopened for long enough to have become retired and appreciated in value! Now I look at some of them and think it'd be great to build, and then don't because "think of how much that is worth sealed!" But... it's not like I think I'd ever sell them, so... Ack! What am I doing to myself!? :laugh:

I think your bit about just needing "one more thing to go with it before I crack it open..." is pretty common from what I've seen when folks start getting deeper into trains and layouts.

I think you are all right in your own unique views and ways, it's rather an honor/horror to think that I'm entering some higher stage of upper AFOL'ness... maybe I'll get an invite or email reply from the order of the Bavarian Illuminati I mean the AucklandLUG :tongue:

I remember the same issue when I was into model boats, but a good model boat kit (not plastic ones, think wood, string, brass, bits, custom servos, etc) would take months to complete, not a couple of week nights. Over a course of two or three years you'd end up with 2-4 new boats built, but buy another 6-12 kits and have them lying around. Then have think about the extra kits, have a online auction clear out of the ones you know you'll never build (eg. all of them) and start again.

Things should improve soon as I'm clearing out half of the double garage in the new year for a permanent layout :wub:

And a word of warning; photography GAS is BAD unless you have an uber disposable income AND know how to use that collection of kit.

P.S. Oh and if you haven't guessed yet.... my picture-signature thingy needs updating :wink:

Edited by stu808

A backlog of Lego sets?!? When I started to get a backlog of DVDs, I realised it was a sign that I clearly wasn't watching them anymore lol.

:blush: This sounds all so familiar.

Basically it is having more plans than time to actually realise them.

Yes, this. This is a big part of my "problem" at the moment! So many ideas... so little building time!

Well I'm going to try and build 60098 this week because I need a Christmas tree train... or else 7722 will resume yuletide duties for another year.

:blush: This sounds all so familiar.

Basically it is having more plans than time to actually realise them.

Or put another way... Life

I don't have Lego plans (as in plural) as such, but more like THE LEGO PLAN (singular) :excited:Moohahaha!

I have a backlog of LDD files to build irl. But my Lego plans gets postponed when I find a great vacation or a plan fot the living room. So little money, such a lot of plans!

100%, always a set backlog, and as many have said, it's usually down to storage space.

I reckon around 5 to 10 of varying sizes is normal for me

I'm glad it's not just me. My current backlog:

23564492776_caa32049c2_c.jpg

I want to say this is the craziest thing I have ever seen. That many unopened Lego boxes should only exist in a store. :hmpf_bad:

Don't really have a backlog. All the unbuilt sets are either for long term hold, or future reviews once I earn bronze and silver on reviewer's academy.

My non fiction books however.. is a different thing. So many backlog, I still keep borrowing from the library!

I'm glad it's not just me. My current backlog:

23564492776_caa32049c2_c.jpg

..My word.. You're the first person who shares the exact same taste as me. My 2 loves, Creator expert and LOTR/ Hobbit.

I am also familiar with this "problem"

My NLSO just commented the other night on my Lego room; " it looks like a storage, not a room for a hobby!", and sadly I must admit that it sort of does. Although this hobby certainly is a mix of aquiring sets that I want (and thus need to store in some way or another), as well as building MOCs for which I need a large collection.

I guess the upside is that I now can discuss the option of also using the attic as storage for the sets that I currently do not build or have on display :laugh:

Great thread! Maybe it should be moved to the general discussion so more people see it?

I have a backlog of about 8-10 sets at most times, sometimes as high as 20, usually accumulated over summer and spring and then wiped out during the long cold winter nights. Right now I have: Detective's Office, half of the Pet Shop, Mountain Hut, Black Manta Deep Sea Strike, Braniac Attack, Darkseid Invasion, Furry Creatures. Got a couple more 2014 and 2015 sets I need to track down before starting on the 2016 slate.

Since many of the sets I buy are really only for the parts to build trains; I have a pile that I will never build and haven't gotten around to sorting. Those also include Ninjago and Star Wars sets which I pretty much only buy because I have a ninja and droid figure addiction. I also have a bunch of Creator houses and modular buildings which are great parts for train layout buildings.

Like baard I have half a room for storage, which is getting increasingly crowded, but I figure while I'm working a lot and have less time to build at least I'm earning more so can stockpile sets for when I have more time

Edited by peterab