Sariel

Is it right to refuse to sell a MOC?

exposure.png

From The Oatmeal. I felt it was relevant.

I dunno, maybe put at the beginning of each video from now on a flashing red screen with air horns going off at the background, and text saying "No, this MOC is not for sale, especially not to you", with the angriest voiceover in Polish that you can manage?

What I'm more confused about is the logic (of which there is none, but whatever) behind the statement that you're not giving back to the Lego community? Because you're not selling builds or instructions or t-shirts or condoms with your logo on them, just some books on building techniques?

tumblr_lzrqrt9lZm1rop03zo1_250.jpg

Edited by Phoxtane

Of course it is fine to refuse to sell something! How could anyone possibly have the right to compel you to sell anything (well, unless it is the government that needs your land for a railway, etc. :D)?

If someone really is serious about buying a MOC, I would tend to expect that it would ultimately be a matter of price. E.g. for 1 million Euros I'm sure most of us would not hesitate for too long! In any case, it's just up to the individuals concerned. If buyer and seller find a deal that they are both happy with, the sale happens - if not, it doesn't. End of story.

Here it is pretty obvious that this person is not serious in the least. It is mainly just amusing that he/she is so determined to show the world what a loser they are! For this reason I normally just leave the foolish comments there for all to see. But you can also delete comments if you want to. I usually do this when there is something actually offensive (bad language or abuse).

In summary: relax - there will always be losers in world. It is not your job to pander to them.

I have looked at your videos many times just to admire your mocs just as the videos should be watched.

Really? You brought forward this discussion?

I mean, Sariel, you are a smart person, and you are definitely not a novice in the web, he is a troll or a childish person. Just ignore him and go on with your life, It's just a waste of energy and time. I think that you have enough positive feedbacks from your activity!

Edited by Lucio Switch

I think any reasonable person who has followed your channel will agree that you contribute a lot to the LEGO Technic community. You also are very clear about what you can and can't share. Unfortunately there are people who are used to getting everything they want, which is not your problem. As I see it you were kind to answer him to the extent you did.

In general it is obvious to me that the person who creates a MOC, or any other artistic creation, is totally free concerning what part of that they share with the rest of the world. A person viewing your creations should be grateful for everything you choose to share. You have always been generous in the amount you choose to share.

Edited by Kelkschiz

Hi, I don't know what to think now :classic:. As far as I can judge from your videos, posts and your general manners on the internet, you seem like very smart and reasonable guy to me. Therefore I'm really surprised that you seriously consider this to be a real question... I'd understand if this topic was ment in rather ironic way just to share how awfully some people behave but either you are quite good in mocking or this is not the case.

If your'e dealing with this for real, I can't give you any more advice than what has already been told, I agree that it's quite straightforward issue and you shouldn't dive into some deep philisophy beyond, because there's none. I can assure you that for me (and thousands of other conscious lego fans) you are beloved and respected iconic builder and we sense the amount of effort you put in creating content we can (and we do) enjoy :wink:. None of these things are taken as granted and nobody with functional brain thinks that you would be obligated to do that, or (jeeez) to do more than that.

I'll make sure to leave some positive comments bellow your vids since now to improve the normal/hater ratio :laugh:

Edited by krisandkris12

I can't wait to see this video that he is going to make of how much of a wanker that you are... :laugh:

I am going to take a wild guess and say this cat is from the U.K.

Paul,

More probably a twelve year old from Tel Aviv who likes primitive computer games and has a command of English obscenities but no other attributes - check out his YT postings. As such, to be totally ignored.

John

its simple -

you ask a question (this case can I buy...)

answer (not for sale)

end of

anything else is trolling/feeding the troll

Of course, I'm just kidding, but out of curiosity, what happens to the models you review? Do you part them out, keep them on display, or do you have to send them back to Lego? If you get to keep them, it might be interesting if you had a raffle or contest to give them to other fans. Although, you probably would not want to deal with that hassle. :sick: Although, if you were allowed to, they might make good prizes for contests on this forum.

I always part them out. I'm not allowed to sell them or monetize them in a more indirect way. But there were sets I felt I could do without in the past, and in these cases I've donated them to charity.

Hello Sariel,

I love your work, don't care for the tanks, but they are good.

I would say, no obligation what so ever, the MOC is yours yours only.

The time and money it costs is a lot.

You say you make a lot of detailed pictures so that builders can build it themselves.

But I am one off those who isn't skilled enough to build one from pictures.

I need instructions to build something.

And for all you grew builders out there, I would love to build all off those great MOC's all together, but I don't even have the money to get my damn Actros finished, work is very slim.

If more off you would be willing to sell instructions, even when they are more expensive, I bet people will still buy them and build them for themselves.

I am a collector, so I won't sell a model build with instructions from the original builder and I think no one should resell instructions or models from other builders.

@Sariel, I have just discovered this thread, I am very interested in buying some of your MOCS. Could you DM me to explain your price and shipping times please. I will need you to operate a fan discount though.

@Sariel, I have just discovered this thread, I am very interested in buying some of your MOCS. Could you DM me to explain your price and shipping times please. I will need you to operate a fan discount though.

Really?

its simple -

you ask a question (this case can I buy...)

answer (not for sale)

end of

anything else is trolling/feeding the troll

I thinking the same as this answer Sariel.

For that reaseon you give, i stopped with posting on my youtube chanel some time ago :devil:

Paul,

More probably a twelve year old from Tel Aviv who likes primitive computer games and has a command of English obscenities but no other attributes - check out his YT postings. As such, to be totally ignored.

John

I was just joking.. I have have friends from the U.K. that use the term "wanker"

Of course your fans will appreciate you taking the time to answer their questions, like you said, a lot of the really popular channels out there don't take the time to do that.

Unfortunately, the most active commenters on YouTube seem to be just MineCraft playing kids, getting some sort of kick from acting like socially retarded megablocks, and they should be ignored.

Thanks Andy but I'll pass :)

I want to add something - I think you could make some more photos during buildings all those MOCs :) I really appreciate your job, but there's still not enought photos of some details for such a begginer like me :(

sell your soul, give us more! :D

Don't feed the trolls... or feed them for fun and watch what happens next, but don't take it seriously.

... Snip

I think aol000xw said it best. One response might be nice to be polite or at most two responses should have been enough to complete the discussion with your "stalker".

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

On the cheery side, I stole crane boom ideas from your telehandler, and I copied your pneumatic diff lock. And I didn't even ask you to sell them to me. So we're both winning there.

Edited by andythenorth

You should have sold.

I'd even go as far as saying that you should have given the bricks away for free.

Just remember to charge for your time...

...I don't know your hourly rate, nor how many hours you've spent on the MOC but I'm willing to guess that by the time they're multiplied together the bricks are irrelevant.

Art - you pay for the artists imagination not physical paint on a cloth.

@The_Cook,

What planet are you from.

It's the builders right to sell or not, not the idiot's who demands it.

To me MOCs are very sentimental and I would NEVER sell them even if the compensation was very very generous (upwards of 10k). I believe that if the person is respectful, they should know when enough is enough, and in your case they have crossed a line. If this behavior continues you might be able to report them. It's quite gracious of you to write a page detailing your model and make video. Sometimes people just aren't aware, for instance, that you made the model for yourself, it's your hobby, and your intro a outro are quite eplicit that you don't want to sell your models. What a total narcissist.

Edited by Beck