Sariel

Is it right to refuse to sell a MOC?

Guys, I'd like to ask your opinion on something that happens every now and then. You see, I'm one of the builders who choose not to sell their MOCs - instead, I make sure to describe it in detail, show it as closely as possible and, if there is a demand, perhaps make instructions for some key component. This works fine for most of the time, and I've seen people building very accurate copies of my models using these resources - and I was glad to see it. But of course there are times when people feel you absolutely OUGHT to sell a MOC (nevermind that it no longer exists) because they've watched your video so they are ENTITLED to get their wishes granted. The question is, who is right, or is there a middle ground?

Below is a screen of part of a recent conversation with one such person. Be advised, there is some bad language. I also apologize if the conversation sounds harsh - this part takes place after I've declined to sell a MOC 3 times already, and there was info in the video about it being not for sale in the first place. Which is why I may sound a little impatient here.

Screen in question: http://s4.postimg.org/ruyqrj7j1/wanker.png

TLDR version: this person's logic would have me to absolutely sell a MOC to anybody who's seen a video of it, because viewing this video somehow entitles them to it. Basically, by making YT videos you become servant of people who watch them or something like that. I don't usually bother with people like that and this particular conversation ended with a ban after he called me a few more names (it felt like we've exhausted our options at this point), but the thing is, a conversation like this is bound to repeat.

Who do you think is right? Are we obliged to sell our MOCs? I was under impression most YouTubers don't even feel obliged to answer comments, but perhaps I was looking at some bad part of the YouTube.

Edited by Sariel

"wanker.png" :laugh:

I say you are in your full right to refuse, obviously. If you say no once, and they continue nagging, just ignore them.

Don't sell them. There is so much demand for them, that you can't give one to everybody. Plus, you take yours apart for new models, tell them if they bought it they wouldn't be able to see new custom creations so often! You are doing the best you can right now my taking photo's of each model and showing in detail the main frame and chassis. Don't give in, especially if they swear, that means that they are mean!

Why would there be discussion about whether you'd be allowed to not sell something?

This is a given for everything someone owns, right? As far as I know, whenever you're the owner of something, you decide whether or not to keep it.

Or am I overlooking something obvious here?

My advice would be to not invest any energy in those people. Invest energy in people you like.

Edit, also, did you realize you edited out his name in his posts, but not in yours? (not that I care, a youtube comment isn't private, it's on the internet anyway)...

Edited by Erik Leppen

No need to blur the name, we know it is JforJJJJJJasonX, who seems to be a troll. You know what to do with people on intewebs.

Edit, also, did you realize you edited out his name in his posts, but not in yours? (not that I care, a youtube comment isn't private, it's on the internet anyway)

Awwwww my bad, sorry about that. I should have edited out his name everywhere.

I started this thread because I get comments like this one on a regular basis. Not like there are tons of them, but they always follow the same weird logic and I was starting to think that perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Maybe I should feel guilty for showing people stuff they can't just simply buy, I don't know.

On another hand, by this logic I should probably ask Ferrari to sell me one of their limited edition cars because I've watched a video of them somewhere...

Edited by Sariel

Pavel if you have decided to go this way = to became a public person, you have to count with all the positives and negatives that come with it. You know that the best way is to create your own opinion and you should know which discussion got sense and which not...

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Awwwww my bad, sorry about that. I should have edited out his name everywhere.

I started this thread because I get comments like this one on a regular basis. Not like there are tons of them, but they always follow the same weird logic and I was starting to think that perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Maybe I should feel guilty for showing people stuff they can't just simply buy, I don't know.

On another hand, by this logic I should probably ask Ferrari to sell me one of their limited edition cars because I've watched a video of them somewhere...

Don't feel guilty for showing your MOC's, They inspire me, the only reason I remember building with technic again was because of your video's. Otherwise I might have died out of Lego!

Pavel if you have decided to go this way = to became a public person

I'm not sure it's that simple. I'm just one of many builders who share vids of their creations, I'm not exactly sure at which point of doing that you become a public person. It's not like I sit in front of camera and show myself to people.

But you're right, I should probably stick to my guns and not waste time for conversations such as this one.

Anyway, I admit I always feel guilty to some extent for showing people something they want but can't buy. But I don't see any ideal solution to this problem. If only I a day lasted like 50 hours so I could make instructions for everything...

Edited by Sariel

That boy has amazingly low standards for 'worst youtuber ever.' :D

No, you don't owe him anything. Reading this I'm just kind of amazed, who's he think he is? looks at somebody else's toys and demands I WANT THAT like a six year old? Let him build his own, isn't that half the fun of Lego?

I admit I always feel guilty to some extent for showing people something they want but can't buy. But I don't see any ideal solution to this problem. If only I a day lasted like 50 hours so I could make instructions for everything...

That is an interesting thought, though. Maybe you could film the disassembly, reverse it, and use that for 'instructions?'

Edited by Space Police XVIII

There's a reason some users on youtube have disabled comments for their videos. This is one of them. Seriously, don't bother to answer these people after you said no. Or just not at all if you've made explicitely clear you're not selling mocs. And no, they're not entitled to anything. The fact you took the trouble to shoot a video of a MOC you made is more than enough.

Maybe you could film the disassembly, reverse it, and use that for 'instructions?'

I honestly can't imagine it working. They way I disassemble MOCs differs from the way I build them substantially, plus to make any practical sense I would need to show the disassembly piece by piece, close-up and with all possible details. It's at least very challenging technically and practically, if not downright impossible. Besides, I'm sure a number of people would not be satisfied with it.

Edited by Sariel

What did he do after that, rickrolled you?

Let's say his following posts, few as they were, consisted primarily of expletives ;)

You are not obliged or legally required to sell anything or even make instructions. Tell them they are entitled to make their own MOC and send them on their merry way.

Wow, this seems like the world in reverse to me. :wall:

You are absolutely right in your opinion and in no way obligated to do anything for anybody. Like you said, you do more then enough!

Best is to ignore these wankers and just put your energy into ''useful'' comments and relationships I'd say.

I don't know why you should obligatory to sell or whatever. You just build something and make a movie of it. a Lot of people do that, right. You shouldn't bother to that (some sencor) person. If I was you I stopped that conversation after the first or second post.

You can sell your moc's (or a copy) to people if they asked it, if you like off course. And if you don't ... than not, simple.

And if you wanted it, and they talk to you like that person .... pffff,

I would say, forget him and do your thing, keep building. I really like that Towtruck and Australian truck, with all that chrome and bullbar.

I've seen some video's of your creations and I really like that weird little animal turn up. Especially when he come out that spare wheel (tank transporter) :classic: it's hilarious.

You gotta love the insane trolls, and their insane troll logic. I mean, you produce videos. What else would you do for your fans? Making instructions is rather difficult, even for small models. I even remember you talking about this while you were writing your book. However, I would like a disassembly video of your creations, just to see it better than the WIP shots. As for making money, I wouldn't count on it. In terms of man hours spent on instructions, you'd probably be losing money, and then people like this would complain that they are not available for free. However, another compromise could be to make a MLCad file or whatever, without steps, and have that available for download. but, if you don't want to make instructions, that's your imperative.

P.S. Youtube should really have "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." over the comments section of every video.

I can't understand you are obliged to do anything. You do your stuff, in your own way, according to your own principles. Obviously, it works well. I'd say stick to your own way and principles, as long as it feels right for you. Even I can acknowledge your sense of feeling guilty, I really can't see any reason why you should. Your work is a great inspiration to so many - including me.

Don't feed the trolls... or feed them for fun and watch what happens next, but don't take it seriously.

I hope Sariel posted it just to share the fun... there is some hilarious insanity in it, but nothing to discuss or take seriously about it.

Thanks for the support. I guess I can't help but to question myself when dealing with this kind of people.

Is your YouTube channel your primary source of income? If so, his point may have some ( still very little) weight to it.

If it's just for entertainment purposes then I think the answer is obvious tbh

Sell it to him !! for € 10.000 ... that will shut him up !! :grin: ... or just ignore that kind of comments :wink:

BTW, I checked your vid's in the past. Just loving the tanks , keep up the good work !

Grtz Saint