atlas

[MOC] RZ-1 A-wing interceptor (updated)

Hi. Here's some photos of my work in progress at the moment, the RZ-1 A-wing. This is drawing deeply from the models of Jerac and others. I'll add more to this post shortly.

flickr album link: https://www.flickr.c...157659454465594

First stage

22409222099_6d5d342dfe_h.jpg

22383037157_7f6197938a_h.jpg

Optimised stabiliser design, completed greebles on the rear, cannon added, experimenting with solutions for the front taper, other minor changes

23277982342_c03bf3ef68_h.jpg

23303835061_1794f0ff2f_h.jpg

23360247386_e8871e86c7_h.jpg

23277978202_fe4ffb4ecb_h.jpg

23360242436_eaccf8aa32_h.jpg

Let me know what you think below or on the flickr comments ! (:

Edited by atlas

Im no A-wing expert (I never looked at it closely), but I do see that Jeracs and those that are based on it are the best so far. This makes me want to sell my TLG one to get money to build this.

Great job, I am doing exactly the same thing myself and have had it sitting half finished for months. The only difference is that mine is mostly light grey instead of white to match the McQuarrie prototype colours.

This looks great so far. I actually just built my own A-Wing in the same color scheme, though mine is essentially a recolor of the green squadron A-Wing from the Home One set. I love how these look when done right like this though, the curve of the side looks great and your solution for the ring on the rear is pretty accurate. The rear of the ship is very nicely done, TLG has never done that part accurately but you nailed it.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your comments !

This looks great so far. I actually just built my own A-Wing in the same color scheme, though mine is essentially a recolor of the green squadron A-Wing from the Home One set. I love how these look when done right like this though, the curve of the side looks great and your solution for the ring on the rear is pretty accurate. The rear of the ship is very nicely done, TLG has never done that part accurately but you nailed it.

Thanks so much. The back was a real challenge, so far the dark grey isn't really sunk in a little bit as it should be. It's flush with the top and bottom surface. Not ideal, but It will satisfy me for the moment. With the vector thruster thingies, originally I wanted to put four of the 1x2 curved studless slope piece in light bluish grey held in between the thrusters and the elastic bands, but that idea only held together in my head. Impossible without glue. It still looks alright though.

The idea for the vector rings on the engines with that piece is one I appropriated from picardsbricks on Flickr. The curve is mostly owed to Jerac's as well. I'm really glad you like it all .

How sturdy are those stabilizers? It looks like they're just connected with that L-shaped plate. Otherwise, awesome!

Thanks ! Nowhere near lego set sturdy but surprisingly strong. I'm playing around with solutions to fill the gaps you can see on the top on either side of the cockpit section, some of them allow for reinforcement of the top 'wings' with a 1x2 plate, some don't. Ideally I want to allow for that but we'll see. It's adequate for the moment though.

I'll add some more images of the progress of this in between the photos in the OP below. Plus some more developments.

(how can I make these enormous images just load as thumbnails unless you want to blow them up?)

Okay, so this is nine days after the first pictures in the OP:

LrHdyP5.jpg

75gYRwA.jpg

4DpoBXB.jpg

o4VTA8O.jpg

12 days after those:

a56xUHl.jpg

vL2f6hU.jpg

5 days ago. Some cockpit detail if you can see.

Rcqz6zp.jpg

mE8uGzZ.jpg

Edited by atlas

Thanks for those WIPS! I wonder how this will stack up to the rumored 2016 set.... (Spoiler alert: yours is probably better!)

Thanks for those WIPS! I wonder how this will stack up to the rumored 2016 set.... (Spoiler alert: yours is probably better!)

Obviously this (being based largely on Jerac's A-Wing) is far more accurate than any official set is going to be, but it is also far too fragile to be something that children can play with. All the most accurate models (for example Psiaki's X-Wing) are like this because to get that kind of accuracy you have to trade robustness. For this reason I think it is unfair to compare these kinds of models with the official sets because they have totally different goals.

Obviously this (being based largely on Jerac's A-Wing) is far more accurate than any official set is going to be, but it is also far too fragile to be something that children can play with. All the most accurate models (for example Psiaki's X-Wing) are like this because to get that kind of accuracy you have to trade robustness. For this reason I think it is unfair to compare these kinds of models with the official sets because they have totally different goals.

Correct. There is a good reason that most Lego sets save for ones specifically targeted at teenagers and adults and built in quite a simple fashion. The main fuselage on my model is so far quite strong and stays in one piece. However, the exterior details, I.e the engines, guns, nose assembly, rear greebling, is quite weak so as to provide for the most detail I can achieve. It's a model rather than a toy isn't it. I'm still excited for the Rebels A-wing though. More pilots, probably Ahsoka, maybe Sato. Yes please.

I could post some pictures of the guts if some of you would like. I've also made some minor advances in the past few days but nothing major.

Shouldn't you be stu

(how can I make these enormous images just load as thumbnails unless you want to blow them up?)

Okay, so this is three days after the first pictures in the OP:

PrvRcvB.jpg

this is great progress and all. but. Shouldn't you be studying for an exam??

Edited by Smitty500

Shouldn't you be stu

this is great progress and all. but. Shouldn't you be studying for an exam??

Hahaha. I appreciate your concern. It's just an old exercise book with some revision my brother did years ago.

I could post some pictures of the guts if some of you would like. I've also made some minor advances in the past few days but nothing major.

Mmmm gut pics please.

As you wish. The model is basically organised into 6 modular components.

VkNkyAA.jpg

sWAApKS.jpg

UHGDV2O.jpg

LdmtgBf.jpg

WEY2U0C.jpg

m8y7F1W.jpg

Edited by atlas

Thanks everyone. Almost finished now, just the nose and some parts need replacing and completing

Great progress, it is looking excellent. Did you use Krispy's LDD as a starting point or did you figure out the internals yourself? It looks quite different in places to Krispys.