All in the Reflexes

[LDD] [MOC] T-70 X-Wing

Liking the mods so far, keep them coming :) @Tyutyu, i dont mind saying getting that tube to behave itself in LDD was a major pain in the backside, just keep trying and eventually it will slot in place!

Edited by All in the Reflexes

Pcm979 yes I think your right - middle one does look the better of the three from the side - that might be worth going at in the build.

I myself dont like any cockpit windshield designs so far that Lego has come up with. Even the latest one has its angles ****ed up. On the other hand, the brick built canopy that All in Reflexes made is 100% accurate with the angles. Its probably the best part of the ship for me.

Edited by Tyutyu

I do like All in Reflexes design, it does work very well and looks ace, but I'd just like to see what adding a canopy does to the model - ideally I'll get the pieces for both and can decide at build time.

Liking the mods so far, keep them coming :)

Will do!

Speaking of, I have a question. I was thinking of filling in the interior of the ship, around the wing mechanism, but after reading the woes of some other people making MOCs and mods of the T-70, I was wondering how confident you are that the wings won't sag at the moment? Reinforcing a mechanism is utterly beyond me, so if you're not, I'll leave that part alone for now.

I myself dont like any cockpit windshield designs so far that Lego has come up with. Even the latest one has its angles ****ed up. On the other hand, the brick built canopy that All in Reflexes made is 100% accurate with the angles. Its probably the best part of the ship for me.

Oh, I agree. None of the available canopies are as well-proportioned as his. But I wouldn't have known unless I experimented, would I?

Meanwhile, I've taken a stab at adding the vertical stripes to the wings. Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to do accurately, since the stripes would be thinner than a Lego tile, and would therefore probably need custom stickers to look right. Compare my best attempt to the real thing:

C7ARe27.png

MRd9cMW.jpg

That's obviously Poe's X-Wing, but the size, number and placement of the stripes are the same as the 'normal' Resistance X-Wing's, and that was the clearest shot I could find of them. As you can see, due to the constraints of Lego, my stripes are in the wrong places, are the wrong size, and there are the wrong number of them. I think AitR's impressionistic take on the wing designs looks better than mine.

MilkPls69, if you're still here, how did your wing decals turn out?

Edited by Pcm979

To be honest PCM i think the marking strips are ripe for some stickers as as you say the tiles are too wide, although i do like what Milk did with his. As for the wings sagging, i have no idea till i make the model, its dependent on thos hinges and how well they hold up, it all may end up being redesigned if they are not up to the job :/

Okay then, I won't brick up the inside until I know for sure!

Well, here's the most up-to-date file I have, including all the alterations I've mentioned, as well as one or two that I didn't- simply copying some greebling and colours that weren't symmetrical, and repainting the parts inside the nosecone that were visible from the outside to white. In retrospect, I should have made sure that those parts came in white. Darn it. That's one advantage that the non-Extended version of LDD has- you can't accidentally make the model unbuildable with stock parts.

Finally I included the best of my 3 canopy mods, without wings (they're easy to attach), but I can't verify that I copied all of the other alterations over to it. It shouldn't matter, since the canopy and surrounding bricks are the only important parts there.

One small advantage to the canopy is that it's roomy enough to give the pilot a booster seat- she can see out of the canopy a little better! :tongue:

https://www.dropbox....Export.lxf?dl=0

This is my first time using Dropbox, I hope it works.

Been tinkering again so let me know what you think, new nose seems to match the studio model much better.

Excellent stuff! I've been wondering about doing something about the gaps in the nosecone, but I wouldn't know where to start, so I'm glad you got there first! Will the LDD be available any time soon?

And, er, how tricky will it be for me to carry over all my alterations? :tongue:

Ha well im not sure about the front landing gear without some serious rejigging so you'll have to get busy again, those wedges are pretty long so take up some serious space. I'm kind of working towards a display model so im not as bothered about features as i am about the look of it. LDD will be available soon :)

Been tinkering again so let me know what you think, new nose seems to match the studio model much better.

Ooooh... I see what you did there. Nice! :wub: .

Very true to the original, and combined with the cockpit, it looks the biz.

Landing gear will be an issue however :laugh: .

Landing gear will be an issue however :laugh: .

Indeed, might be able to get away with a clip on landing foot for anyone who wants to display it parked but anything that folds away, might have to whistle for that one :laugh:

Love the progress! I modded the hell out of the 75102 and love to see what can be achieved with a full MOC starting from scratch!

Edited by Dameronian

Well, I almost did it.

Hollowing out the nosecone to make room for the landing gear predictably made the nosecone fall off. I managed to reattach it with the parts in green and transparent yellow... Except for the panel in pink, and the counterpart on the other side.

PL2PMFD.png

That's a big 'except', because without them, it looks like this:

W4JQ5L2.png

Eugh.

I've tried for hours, but I can't figure out how to attach them. So, if anyone else would like to have a go, please feel free, because I'm out of ideas.

https://www.dropbox.... Nose1.lxf?dl=0

Welcome to my nightmare :laugh: Its a tough one to sort out!

Yeah, I'm completely stumped.

Anyway, while I was failing at that, I noticed a couple of other things.

First, there are still some loose parts. The cheese wedges in the cockpit are still loose, as is this side panel. The 1x1 and 1x2 tile. highlighted need to be consolidated into one 1x3 tile.

HlRpWfF.png

While the wing was off, I noticed that the two 1x2 grilles you can see above where the top wing should be aren't mirrored on the other side.

WpYENEH.png

At that stage I noticed some other things about the wings too. First, one of the engine cowlings is coloured differently from the others- because it's constructed differently. Also, the clips used to make the intakes are coloured different shades of grey on different wings.

769hWh8.png

From behind you can see that the shades of grey on the wings are asymmetrical here as well. Of course, this and the above could be intentional.

TQ36EHw.png

This could be intentional too, but precisely two of the blue panels are coloured shades other than Medium Blue. Here they are.

Y0DoDH8.png

Lastly, this is just a curiosity, but when you pull the top wings off, one of them has slightly more pieces left behind. They must be constructed ever-so-slightly differently. I didn't notice this on the previous model I'd worked on, because back then I rebuilt that entire wing by hand based on the opposite one, as it had a different intake design.

Uny2N5H.png

Edited by Pcm979

This collab X-wing is looking really nice so far. Good job you guys!

One thing though, I don't think those hinges you are using for the wings are going to come even close to holding position, especially with the bulky engines. I would go back to the click hinges, finger hinges and clip-and-bar hinges just won't hold right.

I really like this project, it's turning out to be quite the looker. I do wish you would use different hinges or a different solution for the wings though. Are the pins holding in the engine exhausts secured in that position by an additional means other than the 2x2 corner plate? Also whats that blue color (I'm colorblind so it's hard for me to differentiate between the shades) specifically, is that available in real bricks?

I really like this project, it's turning out to be quite the looker. I do wish you would use different hinges or a different solution for the wings though. Are the pins holding in the engine exhausts secured in that position by an additional means other than the 2x2 corner plate? Also whats that blue color (I'm colorblind so it's hard for me to differentiate between the shades) specifically, is that available in real bricks?

Im 99% sure its sand blue and its available in real bricks but all in the reflexes should confirm