All in the Reflexes

[LDD] [MOC] T-70 X-Wing

You could also use a heat gun or hair dryer, I have done this to a few of mine a few years ago, and they hold there shape great. I think Stottish Dave still had a nice idea of an extra clip up top, just for sturdiness. Canopy is a brilliant design for the X-Wing.

I am not a big fan of the nose, but maybe it will look better IRL. I am also concerned about the old-school hinges you used, while they are great for inverting bricks to and closing the gap. They don't have the friction the newer ones have to keep them in an open position. Unless you have something else supporting it I am not seeing.

Magnificent! Thanks for the upload; It's invaluable!

Honestly, it feels churlish of me to offer constructive criticism when I haven't done anything of worth here, but I hope you don't mind.

First of all, there are a number of strange little things with the file as presented; Namely, one of the engines doesn't have the same design on the engine cowling as the others, and another one has the inner detailing of the intake done with two pickaxes as opposed to one 1x2 grille. I assume those were earlier iterations of the design that survived the process? No matter, easily fixed.

Also easily fixed is a single 1x1 square plate missing from the nose. I've highlighted all the above in red here.

A bigger issue, one that I didn't notice until I had the file for myself, is that the proportions aren't quite screen-accurate. To be precise, the nose is shorter than the movie version's. Here's a shot I cobbled together that shows the difference.

Again, it feels wrong for me to nitpick someone else's work when I'm not capable of doing anything as good myself, and I apologize.

Edited by Pcm979

No worries pcm, the different inlets were just some experiments so left them in for people to see. The pick axes were there to hold the pipe close.

I shortened the nose a bit but feel free to extend it, just messing around again to see what looks better ☺

No worries pcm, the different inlets were just some experiments so left them in for people to see. The pick axes were there to hold the pipe close.

I shortened the nose a bit but feel free to extend it, just messing around again to see what looks better ☺

Ah I see, that makes sense.

I'll experiment with the nose, thanks. Actually, that reminds me- I tried to build a Psiaki-style nose in LDD only last week, but the darn thing wouldn't let me. It registered trying to connect the lower part of the nose with the upper, inclined part as an illegal connection and I couldn't figure out a workaround. It was especially irritating since I know that you and others have managed it, or designs based on it. If you don't mind me asking, did you notice that issue, and if so, how did you get around it?

Downloaded this today and added some landing gear but I am curious as to how you did the black and orange variant as the tip of the wings is all orange but with the way the plates are only the top one would be orange. Here's a render I did of it with the landing gear.

GoqTVFw.png

Thanks for releasing the ldd all in the reflexes i might build this some time, i have a question, what would it look like in normal blue not sand blue?

Looking good Milk :thumbup: I'm not quite sure what you mean about the black version so here is the LDD with both versions,also has the original longer nose just for Pcm :grin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04l8xolwq4dpy0a/T-70%20XWing-Black-White.lxf?dl=0

Thanks for releasing the ldd all in the reflexes i might build this some time, i have a question, what would it look like in normal blue not sand blue?

No problem Joe, as for the colour, i used sand blue to have that faded used look, normal blue will will look brand new but very striking. Look at ScottishDave's version he made recently, he used normal blue and it looked excellent.

Looking good Milk :thumbup: I'm not quite sure what you mean about the black version so here is the LDD with both versions,also has the original longer nose just for Pcm :grin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04l8xolwq4dpy0a/T-70%20XWing-Black-White.lxf?dl=0

No problem Joe, as for the colour, i used sand blue to have that faded used look, normal blue will will look brand new but very striking. Look at ScottishDave's version he made recently, he used normal blue and it looked excellent.

Cool thanks

I dont have the white helicopter blade things on the nose so if i where to build this what could i use instead of that?

Edited by Joe7218

Cool thanks

I dont have the white helicopter blade things on the nose so if i where to build this what could i use instead of that?

You mean part #57906? If so then thats a tough one as its a perfect part for that section so i'd say its really worth the effort to get them. Failing that, some slopes of some kind, but you would lose the tapering effect towards the nose i feel which is important, even the UCS X-wings suffer from that blocky nose.

Oh, you're too kind to me! Thanks so much!

Downloaded this today and added some landing gear but I am curious as to how you did the black and orange variant as the tip of the wings is all orange but with the way the plates are only the top one would be orange. Here's a render I did of it with the landing gear.

Nice. Actually, I have a question. Can your nose landing gear retract? I ask because I've been making my own landing gear, based on Psiaki's like yours seems to be, and mine can't. The interior of the nose seems to have too many vital components for me to easily make room for it, unfortunately.

9tJJc3r.png

Actually, while I was taking that shot I noticed something else. LDD doesn't register the side panels just in front of the engines, or the cheese wedges behind the pilot's shoulders, as being connected to the ship in any way.

DtxSKuu.png

Is this a real thing, or is it just LDD being eccentric again?

Edited by Pcm979

You're welcome pcm :D As for the inconsistencies, if things dont fit or seem like they are not connected to something then thats an oversight by me so apologies. Feel free to correct stuff, i'm still tinkering with the model so i'll fix as much as i can before making the actual physical model :)

It's no problem. The side panels were easily attached, as long as you don't mind losing the cheese wedges:

h3dW02d.png

psW8Zaf.png

Actually, it might fit even with the wedge extended backwards, but I was being cautious about clearance.

Just finished editing the blue version to have the proper wing decals and making a black variant.

sjWcVFy.png

Oh, you're too kind to me! Thanks so much!

Nice. Actually, I have a question. Can your nose landing gear retract? I ask because I've been making my own landing gear, based on Psiaki's like yours seems to be, and mine can't. The interior of the nose seems to have too many vital components for me to easily make room for it, unfortunately.

9tJJc3r.png

Made a small picture for you to show how I did it as I am still using the landing gear. Coloured the connection points in two colours so you can see.

zLmCLix.png

Ah see, you are teaching me stuff! Keep making it better Pcm :)

Thanks, I'll do my best!

Made a small picture for you to show how I did it as I am still using the landing gear. Coloured the connection points in two colours so you can see.

Ah, thanks. That solution doesn't quite work for me- the long-nose version of the X-wing has different internals- but it put me on the right track!

As a result, I have a solution for the long-nose version that gives it landing gear that's pretty close to flush with the fuselage when retracted. I had to remove some parts from the X-Wing, but I don't think I caused any structural instability. The leg is one stud longer, has a smaller foot and a more limited range of motion, but those are the sacrifices I had to make. I just hope it's stable and won't make the rear landing gear any trickier to design.

C46Uplz.png

eRC9Av8.png

I have more pictures of how I changed the X-wing and how the leg's put together, but I didn't want to flood the thread with images.

Flood it with images, anything that gives others ideas is always a good thing :)

I accept that challenge!

Right. The first step is to modify the X-Wing. Here's what it looks like before surgery:

I90f7n4.png

Then you remove the five parts highlighted in red:

qBYW1II.png

You replace them with this single Inverted 2x2 Flat Tile:

8M8uxTd.png

The other part is buried deeper within the X-Wing, but it's theoretically simple. You just take this 2X6 Plate:

Sorgp1j.png

And replace it with this 2X4 Plate, like so:

mO8C9jR.png

I've looked at the model and I don't think it'll affect structural stability, but I could be wrong. Input would be appreciated.

Next up is the landing gear. I altered it since I last posted, flipping the tiles around so the studs face 'down' when the gear is retracted. I prefer the smoother look when the studs are facing away, but honestly, nobody's going to look, and the payoff is that the landing gear has a greater range of motion, somewhat alleviating the 'stilt man' problem caused by extending it by a stud.

Here's the leg up close and next to a stock Psiaki one for contrast, with one I prepared earlier attached to the X-Wing at full extension:

eopb9YS.png

And here's what it looks like flush from the side:

1Mja1IL.png

And from below, all surgery completed:

n1loqmP.png

As you can see, the key part here is to swivel the landing gear foot by 90° so it's facing horizontally. That's what allows it to fit perfectly into the gap left by the parts removed earlier, and it's why it has to be such a small foot.

I don't like double-posting, but I've been a busy boy, and I feel like I have to share!

First of all, I solved the remaining loose parts problems: The cheese wedges behind the pilot, and two pieces on the left-hand side of the ship's tail.

The wedges should connect to an overhang, highlighted in yellow, but they're only balanced on a 1x1 plate, as shown in red. A minor alteration as shown and they attach well, albeit ever-so-slightly lower.

FdSdc7y.png

mqHCfFu.png

If you want to fill in the empty space below them you can also built a little pylon that leads from the hole in the floor up to the 1x2 plate. The pylon has to be circular due to the shape of the cockpit, and it has to be attached to the underside of the floor because the gap beneath the floor and the hull is off.

HDT84Bu.png

The other loose parts, highlighted in yellow, are simply missing two 1x1 plates, added in red.

osB7WXh.png

AnBLirI.png

-----

Next, I added my own take on the rear landing gear! It's very heavily based on khatmorg's work, so many thanks to him for the inspiration!

gHlCcE1.png

I took detailed shots of the modification process, but I don't want to drown people in them if they don't want them. Therefore until and unless someone asks I'll just show you one stowed from below, compared to an unmodified one, as well as the landing gear, picked out in garish colours for your edification.

JcDofuS.png

As you can see I was forced to bulk out the sides of the engine cowling to make the parts fit in, and it ruins the look of it a bit, but otherwise I'm very happy with how well it integrates. It's invisible from the front and back and barely visible from the side. I don't know if I'll copy the bulked cowlings to the upper wings for complete symmetry- I'm leaning towards 'no'.

I bulked the engine cowling out by swapping out the '4070 Angular Brick 1x1's for '87087 Brick 1x1 w. 1 knob's. That's them side-by-side below the landing gear for comparison.

-----

I also experimented with a mod to the laser cannons. As it is now they top and bottom pairs are offset so they prongs on the tip don't hit each other, which isn't screen-accurate. I thought I'd try my hand at making them line up by raising the top cannons by one tile. To my surprise, it works out pretty well! I thought they'd look asymmetrical unless I lowered the bottom cannons by one tile as well, but really the only problem I have with it is that the slopes connecting them to the wing are now double the size and therefore much more visible. Here's a picture of a modified and unmodified set of cannons side-by-side, so you can judge for yourself:

0EuLuxs.png

-----

Finally, I've been experimenting with modifying the cockpit to take the clear plastic canopies that are available in LDD. As of now I'm not sure which of the three models I've got to pursue, if any. Judge for yourself:

IROhxAg.png

Well, that's it! Sorry for monopolizing your topic, All in the Reflexes, but this has been quite fun!

Edited by Pcm979

Some nice mods in there Pcm979 - do you have side shots for the canopy options? I like the one on the right but it would be good to see a side shot?

If your making your changes in LDD would you be ok to share your file as well please? - I'd so like to build one of these post Xmas, but would like to replicate your amends if poss.

Sure, here's an Imgur album with a shot of them all stacked on top of each other, as well as close-ups of each.

Personally, I think the middle one is currently the best, in terms of canopy alignment. The one you were interested in- the topmost one in this shot- was also the one I had the highest hopes for, but while the shape of that canopy is the closest to the 'real' one of the options currently on LDD, it unfortunately doesn't seem to mesh with the cockpit very well.

I'd be happy to share the LDD file with you, as long as All in the Reflexes is okay with that. It might take me a while to pull together, though; I've been trying each amendment on separate copies of the original ship, and I need to make sure that I've applied them all to one 'master' ship. I'm still tinkering, too.

Edited by Pcm979

Guys I need help. What is the ID of the tube/hose piece that is used for the engine intakes? How can you bend it in ldd? I tried multiple times with a few tube pieces I found in ldd but they twist like snakes on lsd.

It's Part #55668 - When you click on it in LDD, it tells you the number in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.

Unfortunately I don't know how to bend it properly; I just copied and pasted the one that AitR had already done.

Edited by Pcm979