All in the Reflexes

[LDD] [MOC] T-70 X-Wing

Lately there have been some nice T-70 X-wings on the forum so thought i'd add mine that i have been working on for some time but making slow progress due to life getting in the way! Firstly i'd like to acknowledge ScottishDave's recent X-wing, did an awesome job but scarily did a couple of things i was actually working on as well, firstly using cams to attach the engine exhausts. It was the perfect part for that section and i thought i was a right clever so and so using it, that was until i saw it used on Dave's model, i cursed then laughed (and cursed again) He posted his way before me so im giving total props to the man for it. Secondly using a pipe to make the curve of the engine inlets, i was doing something similar but his version was way cleaner so i used the design, great job man, its brilliant!

Also the legend that is Mike Psiaki looms large over most X-wings made now so his fuselage is a great inspiration to my model. I tried to make the nose sleeker and with some hit and misses i think i got close. Also the lack of the new screen in LDD forced me to get creative with the canopy, i was just looking for something that added to the lines of the ship and came away quite happy with what i achieved. Although in the process of getting the parts to build this it may change if the new screen can be made to fit in similar style to what ive built so far.

Anyway, to the pics!.....

[edit]LDD in post #28[edit]

q9OwiXA.jpg

E6yfh0l.jpg

Rwap5fN.jpg

PecQhir.jpg

oXpz9dH.jpg

DKYTRuu.jpg

6PED0ln.jpg

The band is back together!

E48DBy5.jpg

Edited by All in the Reflexes

Firstly i'd like to acknowledge ScottishDave's recent X-wing, (snip) great job man, its brilliant!

Thank you! And remember: great minds think alike! :laugh:

Your design has a few clear wins over mine:

I think that your "creative" canopy is great, and easily beats my lazy re-use of Psiaki's canopy design. Personally, I'd keep it like that instead of using the TLG canopy (which I found quite disappointing).

I like your nose design: It really looks the part - sharp and sleek.

A few small thoughts...

I see that like myself, you are UK based. When you come to build in real bricks, you may find it a wee bitty difficult getting hold of enough cams, in europe, in white, for a decent price: or the curved slope immediately in front of them. Just sayin'.

The top of your engines has a nice, subtle improvement relative to mine. I might go further and suggest 93604.jpg

- a part I'm still toying with using myself.

Your use of the curved tube idea looks the biz, but in real bricks, I had to add extra clips to hold it to the engine - two was not enough. This turned it from a smooth even curve into a squarer arch.

Unless you have a neat and sneaky way of keeping a 3mm rigid hose from uncurling out of the position into which you have bent it? And if so, what is it please?!? :laugh: .

Thanks Dave and others, appreciate the kind words :) @Dave, i did wonder why you put the extra clips on the back of the hose, now i know why and am scared! I expect a fiddly mess and much swearing but im determined as it looks the dogs danglies(Your fault for inspiring me!) :laugh: I like that part you posted, that could be really useful, as for the other parts in white, i feel your pain and am already bracing myself for a bit of a fight or wait. If all else fails im not adverse to using some acrylic paint on some small parts

Another pic straight from LDD so as to see the brick layout better, as Blue Render kind of over exposed the white in the other pics!

g2bssqs.jpg

@Dave, i did wonder why you put the extra clips on the back of the hose, now i know why and am scared! I expect a fiddly mess and much swearing but im determined as it looks the dogs danglies

(Your fault for inspiring me!) :laugh:

It'll spring apart and send wee clip plates flying everywhere...

I take all the blame. :look: .

If all else fails im not adverse to using some acrylic paint on some small parts

Ah, now there's a temptation that I'm stuggling with at the moment myself...

Another pic straight from LDD so as to see the brick layout better, as Blue Render kind of over exposed the white in the other pics!

I did like your other photos, but that is just lovely :wub: . Keep up the good work!

Your whole wing assembly is beautiful. I like some aspects of the fuselage a lot too. Seeing all of these T-70s is pushing me closer and closer to breaking and starting one myself!

Get to it Atlas, love to see what you come up with :thumbup: Im quite happy with the wings but admittedly i suspect they are quite fragile in a swooshable sense but for display/diorama will be fine :classic:

Incredible work dude! The best T-70 I've seen so far?

Would you be so kind and share the LDD files with us? If it's no problem for you I'd like to build this great model.

Incredible work dude! The best T-70 I've seen so far?

Would you be so kind and share the LDD files with us? If it's no problem for you I'd like to build this great model.

Im doing some refinements but plan on releasing the LDD :)

Nice one!

Cheers Marek :)

I'm doing some refinements but plan on releasing the LDD :)

That would be magnificent. People here have been very helpful, but I'm just not up to the task of designing a mod or MOC myself or even reverse-engineering from pictures, and I want a shiny white-and-blue T-70 so badly!

Incredible! That brick built canopy really flows with the fuselage better than the official windscreen.

Thanks Shark, it started as a stopgap till i got hold of the new canopy but i really like how it looks so its being retro fitted to my Psiaki T-65 as well :)

s7byh5b.jpg?1

Mmmmmm :moar: Have you considered trying out the new windscreen anyway?

I don't know if he will, but I will. I prefer real windscreens, even if they're technically inferior. I'll probably change the intakes too- they look amazing, but the potential problems associated with them are too much for my tiny mind!

Mmmmmm :moar: Have you considered trying out the new windscreen anyway?

I'll definitely give it a shot if i manage to get hold of one, be even better if TLG would put it in LDD to mess about with! :)

@All in the reflexes, with the tube problem you can place them in hot water and hold them in the shape you eant for a couple minutes and it should stay roughly in that shape.

@All in the reflexes, with the tube problem you can place them in hot water and hold them in the shape you eant for a couple minutes and it should stay roughly in that shape.

"Roughly" being the operative word. :wink: JK, I've done that with tubes and it totally works. By the time the tube wants to change shape, it's too stuck in the position you've put it in for it to escape. :devil:

Edited by Junior Shark

Hey, that almost sounds like something I could do!

Of course, I'd probably set the tube in the wrong shape, thus ruining it for everything. :tongue: