42052 - Heavy Lift Helicopter - Rating  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Jim your review compelled me to purchase a set, and I am not disappointed my friend. The scale is huge! You have to see it in front of you to appreciate it. But, your review lacked your inner child being released in the fact that you forgot to show yourself being wolverine with the rotor blades like we all have done. Sariel did it in his review iirc. Not that your review wasn't spot on, because it was. Thanks for the great review and keep churning them out.

Its an antenna :classic:

Ah, thought it was some kind of lever. Which doesn't make any sense though as it's not connected with anything...

Great review and it made me buy this set. It's a great build with lots of techniques. The only minor complaint that i have is the string. 50 cm is really too short. I changed this to 1.5m and now you really can tow something. ;-)

Just finnished mine, it a great model but I think it is far to big.

It is very hard to hold and operate the veroius functions

Just finnished mine, it a great model but I think it is far to big.

It is very hard to hold and operate the veroius functions

Totally agree with this. I don't wanna hold the model by the tail, because doing so may bend the liftarms. When I play with it, I hold it with two hands, one at the BBox and one at the tail, or hold it nose down with one hand.

The holdability is an aspect the the B-model performs better.

I've just I've just finished building this set and I seem to have a White 9L beam left over besides the usual spare bits.

Is there an easy way to find out where I might have missed out a step involving a particular piece?

Sure would be handy to be able to open an LDD model and search where 9L beams are used to check finished model to see where I left one out or if this is an unusual spare?

I usually just flick through the instructions. As I come across that part I check that I have put it there/used the right colour part.

Edited by ChrisYe
Grammar

On 10/22/2016 at 8:03 PM, ChrisYe said:

I usually just flick through the instructions. As I come across that part I check that I have put it there/used the right colour part.

Thanks, looks like that's the only way...

Well, I was planning to strip this down for parts to build a custom MOC anyway so I'll take it apart and check all the steps using the 9L beam :tongue:

Coming in late, I finally found this set at a decent price and indulged myself (this year I'm 30 - I can do anything I want! :wink:).
It took me 5 hours to build this monster of a set. It's the largest Technic contraption I ever had and it's mighty impressive. This set was a "must" for me from the day one (when indispensible Sariel showcased it before its premiere). I got to admit, it was worth every penny. I just need to replace the string like Bering. One day perhaps  I'll also try to include a control yoke for the rudders and elevator.

One thing that bothers me: the set is supposed to have 4 spare black pins. I got 7 left. Locating the missed spot will be a big pain :grin:

When you put 9396 side by side with 42052, you can easily see how TLG has evolved over the years. 

42052 is smooth and very well designed and finished.

Looks amazing!

Great review, by the way.

Ugh, after HOURS of research I located the spots for those three pins. Each were painfully obvious and probably because of that it took so much time :blush:
Now I can admire this beast fully.

Finally got round to building the B model of this. It looks like it really stretched the parts from the A model - lots of random gaps in the floor and use of alternatives to simple black pins in various places. 

I thought the old battery box in a flying machine was ridiculously heavy in the A model, and with unimpressive rotor speed was a really poor cost-benefit ratio. So I modded the B model to use a hand crank on the outside to get into the gearbox and drive the functions - a fun challenge that I eventually got to work satisfactorily. 

The B-model is huge - a really big body and then 2 enormous rotor radii. A fun build - but too big to keep around in my lego den, where display space is at a premium!

Having seen the new Denis Villeneuve Dune movie, I'm thinking those giant blades will work well in a model of the ornithopters from the movie. At some point I may give that a go, but more realistically some of the MOCers here might come up with something better and quicker than me ;)

18 hours ago, DrJimbo said:

I thought the old battery box in a flying machine was ridiculously heavy in the A model, and with unimpressive rotor speed was a really poor cost-benefit ratio. So I modded the B model to use a hand crank on the outside to get into the gearbox and drive the functions - a fun challenge that I eventually got to work satisfactorily. 

The B-model is huge - a really big body and then 2 enormous rotor radii. A fun build - but too big to keep around in my lego den, where display space is at a premium!

Here's a smaller tandem rotor helicopter that may suit your taste.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-70842/nguyengiangoc/42113-b-model-boeing-chinook-ch-47-motorized/

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-79220/nguyengiangoc/42113-b-model-boeing-chinook-ch-47-manual/

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen