42050 - Drag Racer - Rating  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Of all of the car models that Lego has released in the past that have used stickers for headlights, here is one that not only would have probably looked better using them, but would have been closer to the real thing in doing so considering the majority of the real ones use realistic looking vinyl ones..

Edited by Paul Boratko

I love this vehicle! My favorite of the bunch! Something about it just speaks to me. Maybe it's the color scheme, the simplicity of the build, or the uniqueness of it. Whatever it is, it's a must-have for me. Thanks for the review.

Nice review again, thanks Jim :thumbup: I am now thinking between buy or not to buy and that is only because B model looks rather cool... A model is indeed kind of ugly to my eyes too...

Yesterday, when i was making my TC9 entry i found that i really want this new 3L axles with stop - two of them will save 700-1000 studs volume for me) When this set will be released? 1st january or later?

I really want those tubler tires but isn't it a bit expensive to pay €120 for those 4 tires and the extra parts

Well, you get 4 tires and 1290 parts.

If you are going to burn all the parts after you get your precious tires, yes, it's expensive.

I am pretty sure that the price of those tires will drop on Bricklink.

Just be a bit patient.

It is also possible to call the lego customer service and order tires only. I doubt a tire will cost more than 7 or 8€ there.

It is also possible to call the lego customer service and order tires only. I doubt a tire will cost more than 7 or 8€ there.
It's 9.85EUR per tyre.

Jim, amazing review!

You have an error in the line before the tumbler tires(after the panels) : you wrote tis model

you wrote tis model

Lo! 'tis model maketh me crave pretty penny when new year strikes. :wink:

Jim, amazing review!

You have an error in the line before the tumbler tires(after the panels) : you wrote tis model

Thanks....and corrected.....thanks!

I have read that this costs 80€...

I change my opinion, it's a very bad set. :cry_sad:

Edited by Kaanere

German price is 59.99EUR

In that case it will be down to €40-45 in a few months (at least on Amazon.de), which seems like a good enough price for me.

The set is not listed in the spanish S@H.

I wait that they list it because if not I'll need to wait to March to get it.

yeah....i thought this set would be 70 Euro because of the tumbler wheels.

at least over time the prices on bricklink will come down a bit due to having more stock from a cheaper set.

I like the car, it looks mental :wacko:

Agreed. For drag racers.... you almost want something with a little edge. This car reminds me of Gary Busey... the actor. And btw.... I love Gary Busey. I almost expect the car to come out yelling something about Amazon TV or something :laugh: :laugh:

celebrity-big-brother-140913-gary-busey.jpg

Edited by nerdsforprez

Well, the looks are somewhat poor. That seems to be the bit the vast majority can agree on. But it got my attention, especially the interestingly integrated Wheelie feature. So, despite the fact, that I bought it for the parts, I took Lego's concept for the PF model and took it a bit further. I wanted it to do a Wheelie on its own. Since that was not achievable with the suggested M-motor, I went for the XL. That does not only perform better, it is also heavier and weight, respective the weight distribution, is everything to achieve this goal. :)

My first attempt was with a 1:1 gear ratio as shown in the building instructions:

Well yes, it did some kind of Wheelie, but that was not sufficient. :D So I changed the setup to a gear ratio of 1.8:1:

It worked. Somehow... :) If you look closely, there is an L-motor on top of the battery box only for its weight. So instead of adding a stand like Lego did, I chose to let physics work its charm. :) The added rtc-steering works, but I could have saved me the effort, since there is hardly any weight on the front axle. The result of steering can be seen in the middle of the first video.

Edited by cookiedent

This set gives me vibes of a bygone set, 8284, for some reason. It's as if the non-farm-equipment models of 8284 and 8274 were repurposed into a single set. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tractor MOC from this set made sometime over the next year.

When using power functions, how do you catch up with this set once it has been turned on? Is a crash inevitable?

When using power functions, how do you catch up with this set once it has been turned on? Is a crash inevitable?

Well, it's not that fast :wink: