42048 - Race Kart - Rating  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

This will definitely sit beside my 9392 (pimped). They are small sets, but they do replicate everything what needed, with outstanding appearance.

Edited by agrof

I built a modded version of this set based on Jim's pics and Sariel's video, but of course I don't have small enough wheels and tires to fit :laugh:

I planned on getting this set before, the reviews only confirm that.

Question: I don't have the instructions in front of me, but it seems possible that you've put the hub cap stickers on the wrong wheels. They are mirrored on the sticker sheet picture, so I would expect the 2 on each side would be the same? If the way you have them is the way the instruction does, I know I'll be changing mine around.

That might very well be the case! I've put on the stickers before building the set, and I didn't notice the difference.

An actual working gearbox in a set we'll probably be able to find at a <20 EUR pricepoint. Not bad at all.

Think that's one of the high points of the set, maybe, just maybe the transmission elements' price will drop :)

a few more reviews:

The first two are videos from my review :wink::tongue:

Thanks for the review! It would be very cool if there were some "method to the madness" type of part selection whereby models purposely supported certain interchangeable panel colors, wheels vs. tracks, etc. over the course of a year or two. Having these panels in different colors is a good start. I'll have to try the arctic tracks on the customized pickup and see the results.

I picked this up last week, I fell in love with it instantly.

Here are some comparison photos of it next to 8842 (The first Technic set I owned)

hWXwxHy.jpg?1

QJYjmHu.jpg?1

C0kradz.jpg?1

Just finished this one (ably assisted by my 3 year old), and really enjoyed it - 345 parts in a physically compact set makes it a nice intricate build, and I love the sheer variety of pin and connector types included. Looks great, but as others have mentioned, the limited steering is crying out for an improvement mod.

I'd agree with Jim's 8/10 assessment; better steering would have taken it up another step.

Bought and built it yesterday, nice little set. Too bad the New red axles aren't visible, I really like the metallic silver beams used as pedals.

29 minutes ago, pyro690 said:

Not a bad set, just don't like the limited steering. Great review Jim!

The steering is easily fixed, there was a mod floating around on this forum involving a normal rack/cog setup

Just now, vectormatic said:

The steering is easily fixed, there was a mod floating around on this forum involving a normal rack/cog setup

You are right, I have seen it. I think LEGO could have done a better job with the amount of parts they have at their disposal.

Just now, pyro690 said:

You are right, I have seen it. I think LEGO could have done a better job with the amount of parts they have at their disposal.

Oh, i agree with that 100%, but then almost every non-trivial set that passes through my hands get some modification, there are always improvements to be made on the standard lego design

2 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Oh, i agree with that 100%, but then almost every non-trivial set that passes through my hands get some modification, there are always improvements to be made on the standard lego design

I have to deal with "engineers" screw ups all the time at work, I shouldn't have to fix them at home also. LOL. The designers work hard, I know, it is a great set for a smaller set. I couldn't do a designers job, I'm just a "fixer". LOL.