42044 - Display Team Jet - Rating  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

REVIEW - 42044 - DISPLAY TEAM JET

22802157119_2778f350ca_c.jpg

INTRODUCTION

The smallest of the 2016 sets, is the Display Team Jet. It doesn't seem to have lots of functionality, but maybe the landing gear is retractable. This set kind of reminds me to the 9394 - Jet Plane, although it's obviously a lot smaller. As you can read in my review of the 42052 - Heavy Lift Helicopter basically anything flying is +1 for me, so let's find out if this set also fits the bill.

Note: All images can be clicked for hi-res versions.

SET INFORMATION

Number: 42044

Title: Display Team Jet

Theme: Technic

Released: 2016

Part Count: 113

Box Weight: 193 gr

Box Dimensions: 15,4 cm x 13,8 cm x 5,9 cm

Set Price (MSRP): € 9,99

Price per Part: € 0,088

Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX

Being a small set, it obviously comes in a small box. The Display Team Jet is an Aerobatics Jet, used in air shows. On the box it's flying rather high, but at least it's at a safe distance from the crowd. Front side shows the main model, together with a small section indicating you can use Digital Building instructions to build this model.

23213408885_79b9b71375_c.jpg

BACK SIDE

The back side shows the B-model, a Stunt Plane. And again a reference to the apps for Digital Building instructions. More on the Stunt Plane later.

22917609140_1197fb7bbc_c.jpg

CONTENT OF THE BOX

The box contains:

• 2 Instructions Booklets (A- and B-model)
  • 1 Sticker Sheet
  • 3 Technic Liftarms
  • 2 Bags

INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS

Both the instructions for the A- and B-model are included in the box.

23101656956_e80de28d10_n.jpg 23138122192_f45389788d_n.jpg

STICKER SHEET

A lot of stickers for such a small set. Apparently no panel is left untouched.

22759805149_4146293a0d_n.jpg

LIFTARMS

Three liftarms unsealed, nothing out of the ordinary for a small set.

22733715928_1bbae54eb9_n.jpg

BAGS

Two bags containing the rest of the parts.

23138122982_ecd79b7522_n.jpg 23138122892_6a37891b6e_n.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS

This section describes the new and/or otherwise interesting parts.

YELLOW 5L AXLES

The 5L Axle in Yellow has never been released before, so it's one of the new parts for this year.

22831932960_c6ecb90170_n.jpg

BLACK 7L FLEX AXLES

For the layman this seems a common part, but the 7L Soft Axle actually has never been released in black before. Combined with the re-release of the 19L Soft Axle in black, this will open up lots of possibilities. For those of you thinking you've read this text before; you are right, the new Drag Racer contains these new 7L Flex Axles too.

23127753455_53467a617d_n.jpg

WHITE PANELS

This small set comes with a whopping 10 panels. Great for the ones who like panels. Not so great if you think TLG is using too much panels lately.

22775963257_8d61728bcc_n.jpg

RUDDER

This part, the Small Bionicle Wing, is the same as the one used in last year's 42033 - Record Breaker.

22759806009_2001a3ace3_n.jpg

PART LIST

This set contains 113 parts, all listed below.

23138122822_39d3a0405c_c.jpg

THE BUILD

This is the collection of parts, used to build the Jet. It sure looks like we are getting a landing gear.

22733716148_4902861ff2_c.jpg

The build is fun, but pretty straightforward. There aren't any special or cool techniques used in this set. It almost took me more time to apply all the stickers than to build the actual model.

FINISHED MODEL

The finished Jet does look cool though. The white and yellow color scheme, combined with the stickers, work really well. I have seen people refer to the plane as being orange, but it's definitely yellow. Technic (or LEGO in general) tends to have some color variation when it comes to yellow. I do concur this is the warmer variant of yellow, but it's not orange.

22802157119_2778f350ca_c.jpg

The back of the plane looks nice too, although I am not a big fan of the rudder part. It looks too detailed, compared to the other panels. It's not a big deal though, and maybe it's just me.

22802157209_268d7a33f3_c.jpg

PARTS LEFT

Only three common parts left.

22802157539_b9682e6d87_n.jpg

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS

This set has a single feature and that is a retractable landing gear. It's operated by the black 12T Double Bevel Gear near the cockpit. In the following picture you can see the landing gear retracted.

23144013416_918c66a4c1_c.jpg

This image shows the landing gear when the plane is ready for landing. Hopefully the pilot will roll the plane before landing, but you probably know what I mean :wink:

23144013366_94b1a97bed_c.jpg

VIDEO

Here's s short video demonstrating the Display Team Jet.

B-MODEL

This set also includes the building instructions for the B-model, a Stunt Plane. The building experience for the Stunt Plane is more or less the same as for the Jet. Well, what do you expect when both models are planes with a limited number of parts. For an alternative model the Stunt Plane looks fine.

22958368839_4ba921b348_c.jpg

There's not a lot of functionality in this plane, but it's worth mentioning that the tail wheel allows the plane to roll on a flat surface. The plane also has working propellors. Both functions are demonstrated in the video.

23217991952_77b60dc058_c.jpg

Unfortunately, the landing gear of the Stunt Plane is not retractable.

22958369019_6d1ff30692_c.jpg

PARTS LEFT

A couple of extra leftover parts, but it's nice to see that most of the parts have been used in the B-model as well. Actually, there's probably an extra yellow Technic Smooth 1/2 Bush left. I just found it on my desk, but it could belong to one of the other sets.

23300183446_47c85018f1_c.jpg

VIDEO

Here's a video demonstrating the Stunt Plane.

SUMMARY

Two nice planes for 13 bucks, that's basically what you get. Both models look good and the set has some interesting new parts. Especially the 7L Flex Axle will be very popular. It comes with a decent collection of white panel, although they are very common nowadays.

Both models have limited functionality, but each of them has at least one function to give the model some playability for kids, other than the swooshability that is. Okay, it might lack some proper functions, but I still think kids will love this set. I can see kids running around with one of the planes in their hands.

All in all I think this set delivers what you'd expect.

SCORE

Let's see how this set flies! Remember that the grades are based on it being a small set. Obviously a set like this, cannot be compared with a Mercedes flagship.

8 DESIGN

16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg

For a small set, the model looks very authentic.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE

10963348123_21e427d778_m.jpg

No surprises.

7 FEATURES

Just the retractable landing gear.

8 PLAYABILITY

It has swooshability, so I see kids running around with this model.

7 PARTS

Lots of panels, if you are into that.

8 VALUE FOR MONEY

Can't go wrong with these small sets.

7,5 FUN FOR KIDS

22541599364_8947a13102_c.jpg

More image can be found on my Flickr page. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.

While I can see kids enjoying this, I'm not sure I would buy. The flex axles are nice, and it is a decent number of white panels but I think I would get better return out of a larger parts set.

Fantastic review though, and your pictures show off this tiny model better than the box art does.

Very nice little set, and a lot of those new white small panels. It's a need!

Thanks for the nice review! The landing mechanism looks quite cute.

Aren't the yellow axles 5L, not 4L? (Very strange that they would release such a part).

For 10 Euros very usefull parts. I like it as well as other 2016 sets. I like the gear retracting mechanism a lot. Very good set for good price. Thanx for good review. :)

Max

Hi there,

nice model, great review!

I almost reverse engineered this model, but used wrong parts for landing wheels, didn't know how to fix the nose proper, and so on. So i was very interested in this model and i like playing with it.

I love the reviews, but i think i have to mention, that the yellow axle must be a 5L! The picture shows a 5L, and a 5L would fit the size of the model. The cart has also a 5L in yellow.

What sitze is the yellow axle in this seit. Really 4L as written in the text?

Greetings,

Robert

Hi there,

nice model, great review!

I almost reverse engineered this model, but used wrong parts for landing wheels, didn't know how to fix the nose proper, and so on. So i was very interested in this model and i like playing with it.

I love the reviews, but i think i have to mention, that the yellow axle must be a 5L! The picture shows a 5L, and a 5L would fit the size of the model. The cart has also a 5L in yellow.

What sitze is the yellow axle in this seit. Really 4L as written in the text?

Greetings,

Robert

The picture of the manual says 4x 5L yellow axle, and that seems to line up with what im seeing in the pics as well

So i assume the 4L is a typo

I seem to have been messing up Axle Lengths in various reviews :look:

It's indeed 5L. My bad.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Very nice review for a nice little set! I especially like the smoothness of operation for the retractable landing gear. I don't like the lack of symmetry for the propeller of the B model though, but understand the alternative would be to add one extra small panel to the set, or skip two of them in the B model.

Good review, as always Jim :classic:

When I first saw this set I thought that it would make a great parts pack for me, as that I have about 20 white pieces in my Technic collection (all from 42043) and this set has some really useful ones, all for a cheap price. Those 7L flex axles will be extremely useful in my current build I'm doing :thumbup:

Nice review, even with the missing demonstration video of the A-model!

Looks like this is an excellent panel pack for the price, and those soft axles will go down a treat. Will this set be the dark horse of 1H 2016...?

Nice review, even with the missing demonstration video of the A-model!

Hmmm strange. Let me fix that.

Fixed the video and fixed the stars in the voting. Thanks for paying attention guys :thumbup:

I just built the A model, and I rather like it. It is much bigger than it looks from the box - about 30 studs long. There is only one function - the landing gear - but it works very nicely. Apart from that, it's a very solid build, and achieves an elegant shape with an absolute minimum of parts. I don't usually get excited about small sets, but this one appeals to me. I like the feeling that every single piece has a purpose.

My favourite of the 2016 sets I've built so far. I'd go so far as to say this is the best "budget" set in years. I would have loved this when I was a kid ... great "swoosh ability"

My favourite of the 2016 sets I've built so far. I'd go so far as to say this is the best "budget" set in years. I would have loved this when I was a kid ... great "swoosh ability" ������

Good to hear that, im gonna check the toy shops in my lunch break tomorrow, see if they got their shipment in yet, if they have, ill definitely buy one of these little sets

I got this little set for Xmas and I noticed all the gaps and decided to fix them, so here it is.

23714461560_08f68a4ba9_c.jpgIMG_5344 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

First I added some beams to the wings and top to make it less hollow, second I put some navigation lights on it, I made the nose a bit wider and added a control panel,

and lastly I changed out the landing gear wheels to more appropriate ones.

23901914912_951fedf75b_c.jpgIMG_5349 by JJ2Sam, on Flickr

More pictures are HERE

Thats a cool little mod, two small nigles though, 1, your navigation lights are flipped on the main wings, 2, the panels on the tail i *think* were supposed to be the intakes for the jet engine, by using them to close up the tail you've turned it into a glider :grin:

Cant wait untill i find one of these on shelves!

So this set showed up in stores yesterday, and i immediately picked two up.

All in all it is a nice set, but it is slightly different from what i was expecting, the plane feels a bit "flat", pointy nose, wide bottom etc.. And while the panels work very well as wings, it feels a bit simplistic to just have single-part wings. The stickers really work for it though.

Its a cracking set though, nice parts pack, and a nice model as well