LEGO plans it's long-term themes for three years.

Nexo Knights has an extensive marketing campaign, most likely a long-term theme.

If it's a long-term theme, it will very likely last until the end of 2018.

If it is successful it will most likely be extended for years to come.

Please tell me if I got information wrong or if you disagree.

Pretty much.

However the success of the theme also relies on the success of the show. At this rate it isn't doing good.

The sets look neat, but I myself don't see it lasting long mainly due to the show.

Edited by gamejutzu

It is pretty much impossible to put an end date on Nexo Knights at this point, because its longevity depends entirely on its success and it isn't even available yet.

I can pretty safely say that, as a "Big Bang" theme, it probably will shoot for at least three years. Chima was planned for three years, and while it enjoyed modest success, it did not meet initial expectations and ended promptly when those three years were up. Ninjago, on the other hand, was also planned for three years. It DID exceed expectations, and in fact even though Lego planned to end it three years in, the fan outcry was so tremendous (and the sales of the sets remained so strong) that the theme was brought back with only a half-year hiatus. It's been around five years now, and this year they announced that it is now being considered an "evergreen theme" alongside reliably successful themes like City, Friends, Creator, and Technic.

My brother was just reviewing some of the earliest comments about Ninjago yesterday, and there were many AFOL predictions that the theme would be a flop or last just one or two years. In fact, many of the comments seemed almost identical to criticisms of Nexo Knights: "The sets look terrible." "A traditional Ninja theme would be much more successful." "Too kiddish." "Too many gimmicks." I'm not saying Nexo Knights will necessarily be as successful as Ninjago has been, but it does go to show that AFOLs often make assumptions that are wildly off-base, especially when it comes to themes that defy precedent.

Lyichir has it right on the money for your post, Chilly_Productions.

However the success of the theme also relies on the success of the show. At this rate it isn't doing good.

The sets look neat, but I myself don't see it lasting long mainly due to the show.

The show hasn't even aired yet, how is it not doing good? The mini-episodes on the site aren't the full episodes. :wacko:

Honestly, there isn't much discussion to be had here in this topic with the sets and show not even out yet.

My brother was just reviewing some of the earliest comments about Ninjago yesterday, and there were many AFOL predictions that the theme would be a flop or last just one or two years. In fact, many of the comments seemed almost identical to criticisms of Nexo Knights: "The sets look terrible." "A traditional Ninja theme would be much more successful." "Too kiddish." "Too many gimmicks." I'm not saying Nexo Knights will necessarily be as successful as Ninjago has been, but it does go to show that AFOLs often make assumptions that are wildly off-base, especially when it comes to themes that defy precedent.

I wasn't looking through many LEGO online forums in 2010, but I hated ninjago at first, then I found the temple set with the fire dragon (forgot the name) very cheap at Argos, bought it, liked it.

I bought a lot of ninjago for the first three years, then I stopped getting ninjago from rebooted onwards, mainly because I focused mostly on star wars afterwards.

I'm gonna try nexo knights next year, I might buy some 2015 ninjago sets on sale to see if I can get back into it.

Lyichir has it right on the money for your post, Chilly_Productions.

The show hasn't even aired yet, how is it not doing good? The mini-episodes on the site aren't the full episodes. :wacko:

I agree with both of those statements, Just2good senpai.

The show hasn't even aired yet, how is it not doing good? The mini-episodes on the site aren't the full episodes.

Honestly, there isn't much discussion to be had here in this topic with the sets and show not even out yet.

Yeah, but the mini movie gives a taste of what the entire show is going to be. Why would they set a tone in one mini movie, then do something completely different in the actual show?

A+ for you.

I think that it's completely ridiculous to judge a theme based on the negative reaction to a five minute mini movie to introduces the characters.

We literally have no idea how long the theme is going to last, other than the fact that it won't be a one-year theme.

Yeah, but the mini movie gives a taste of what the entire show is going to be. Why would they set a tone in one mini movie, then do something completely different in the actual show?

You're judging the entire theme based on 5 minutes of animation? This is a toy theme, not a TV show. One does not determine the other, especially if the TV presence is not directly marketed as a commercial.

Also keep in mind that some of the jokes in the Pilot episodes of Ninjago were just as childish as Nexo Knights has to offer (for the record, Chima was much, MUCH worse on that front). Eventually Ninjago got it's foot through the door, told the story that was meant to hook kids in, and now it has the ability to continue without having to re-connect with kids, as the theme has already established itself, both in TV and toy form.

LEGO plans it's long-term themes for three years.

Nexo Knights has an extensive marketing campaign, most likely a long-term theme.

If it's a long-term theme, it will very likely last until the end of 2018.

If it is successful it will most likely be extended for years to come.

Please tell me if I got information wrong or if you disagree.

When it comes to information, there really isn't any on the theme at all. I personally believe that has been done in order not to set a finite window of life, like they did with Chima, as they must have learned something from the latter.

No need to be eager for another big-bang theme. Let's actually get the sets in hand before we make any assumptions.

Again, Lyichir hit the nail on the head.

Maybe you could have done this with a poll. After the theme ended, determine who predicted the right date and send them a LEGO prize. :wink:

Nexo knights will last 5+ years. Here´s why: Lego learned you gotta have specific heroes. An example: Kids bought any chima set and they were satisfied. But with Ninjago, kids needed to buy a lot of sets. Or at least that´s how I look at it.

I don´t understand the hate for Chima. I mean it was a floppy theme, but look at the good side, it taught Lego many lessons for coming themes to be better!!

Also keep in mind that some of the jokes in the Pilot episodes of Ninjago were just as childish as Nexo Knights has to offer

That's not true.

Sure, they may have been generic one liners and such, but they were not as cheesy or bland as the Nexo Knights short.

I'm sorry, is the crux here "When is this theme that's not even out yet going to be over" and "Early Ninjago obviously had better writing than a show that hasn't aired yet"? I think the early-release of information regarding LEGO's future plans may have spoiled us just a tiny bit if we're trying to figure out how well a soon-to-be-hugely marketed (to kids) theme is doing right now.

"Early Ninjago obviously had better writing than a show that hasn't aired yet"

I guess i'm judging too soon, but I can feel it in my veins that the show will not be good, and the sets will be good-superb.

Edited by gamejutzu

I don't even understand why you need to know so badly how many years a theme that isn't even out will last...

Very negative sounding title considering NK hasn't even started.

Random dude to pregnant mom: "how long till it dies?"

Very negative sounding title considering NK hasn't even started.

Random dude to pregnant mom: "how long till it dies?"

I want it to last for a good amount of time, I'm just thinking about how long it will last, because a ton AFOLs and TFOLs are hating it already...

nah, ninjago had the same reaction from TFOLs and AFOLs when it launched.

"When is this theme that's not even out yet going to be over"

I'd be interested in knowing. As of now, my opinion is hopefully sooner than later, so I'm hoping it will run for the 3 originally planned years.

The reason? I want to get back to Castle themes instead, and a designer indicated that Nexo Knights has supplanted those.

Okay, so this is an utterly pointless thread right now. I'm going to lock it as it seems people can't leave it alone.