D3K

[TC9] Motor Grader/Dump Truck

Thanks guys, I am glad you seem to like the idea! :thumbup:

I was up way too late last night continuously trying to improve the design, and I think I'm starting to get there!

800x528.jpg

Total length is now 42 studs. I could shorten it in the back, but I really need those 5x11 panels for the B-model (I think :blush:), and as long as I don't exceed the heigth of the cylinders with the cabin, I'm good. More precisely, keeping this length of 42, width of 14 and heigth of 17 should make the model exactly 9996 cubic studs!! :laugh: Cutting it really close!

Well, I have a couple of more pics for you guys:

800x448.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x449.jpg

Like I said earlier, I'm really enjoying this contest! :thumbup::classic:

No room! :sweet:

It's more like "No Vroom" :sweet:

On another note why do you have 3 8t gears in a row when you could have two 16t?

800x450.jpg

If it is for the steering and the linear actuators push the same direction you could put the 12t single bevel on the top to fix that.

Looking like a nice model, would like it when more in a bigger scale.

Wondering how the B-model is going to look like.

You really went for it, good and fast progress. Are the valves going to the back side? How many do you plan to have? I guess you have a lot of tubes to fit in...good luck ;-)

It's more like "No Vroom" :sweet:

Haha, indeed :grin:

On another note why do you have 3 8t gears in a row when you could have two 16t?

If it is for the steering and the linear actuators push the same direction you could put the 12t single bevel on the top to fix that.

You are right; it is for the steering, and you are wrong; putting the gear on top won't fix it - I thought so too at first. I couldn't understand why the steering was so hard :laugh: Try it yourself :wink:

Looking like a nice model, would like it when more in a bigger scale.

Wondering how the B-model is going to look like.

Thanks! I imagine the B-model will be quite a lot smaller than the A-model, but I hope to implement some nice functions nonetheless :wink:

Progress update:

800x545.jpg

I made a quick cabin, and some work on the rear. Not sure I am satisfied though :blush:. In its current configuration it is within the 42x14x17 box, so it barely works. One problem I see now is I need another stud up top for the HOG :laugh:

EDIT:

You really went for it, good and fast progress. Are the valves going to the back side? How many do you plan to have? I guess you have a lot of tubes to fit in...good luck ;-)

Thanks! Still improving it! :classic:

I was planning on three valves, but space is very limited, so I think I'll cut it down to two: One for the large cylinders, and one for the blade shift cylinder :sweet:

Edited by D3K

Looking really good D3K :classic: It's really come out nicely. That problem of fitting the HOG gear and three valves is a bit of a struggle with a model as tightly packed as this, I can't see what it looks like inside but I'm sure you'll come up with something to solve at least one of the problems :wink: You could try and make it so that the gear and axle can slide down one stud to fit inside of the box, then slide up for operation :thumbup:

So are the pneumatics for rotating the blade?

The pneumatics are for raising/lowering the blade and sliding the blade from side to side.

You might save some room by only having one mLA for the steering. At this scale you may only need one to turn the Grader.

You might save some room by only having one mLA for the steering. At this scale you may only need one to turn the Grader.

Yeah, the dual setup is definitely not needed from a strictly mechanical point of view, but I am a sucker for symmetry :sweet: I have (and still am) concidered cutting one out, as I'm not sure I'll even need them for the B-model.. Still, we'll see! Only a couple of days in yet :wink:

It's really compact, but the cab is quite low now... :sceptic:

Yeah, I know, and those long yellow panels gives it an even lower impression.. Working on alternative solutions :thumbup:

Great MOC even without B-model.

Thanks! It's a lot of fun building it, and a bit annoying not being able to put more functions into it due to the size constraints! :laugh:

Nice, it looks almost done! Cabin should be bit shorter, it would help to mask, that it is too low. Proportions will be better then. Good luck to have enough needed parts for B-model :wink:

Yeah, the dual setup is definitely not needed from a strictly mechanical point of view, but I am a sucker for symmetry :sweet: I have (and still am) concidered cutting one out, as I'm not sure I'll even need them for the B-model.. Still, we'll see! Only a couple of days in yet :wink:

You could also use a liftarm based steering like in this Feller. Instructions are posted as well.

I'm finding much of the planning for the A model is based on what will be in the B model.