D3K

[TC9] Motor Grader/Dump Truck

Got this idea in my head when we first started discussing an A+B model contest, and once the information topic was up and clarified the rules, I got to work and threw this together.

It's kind of hard to sort of anticipate what kind of parts are going to be needed for the B-model. Some things are obvious (like the pneumatics, wheels and some panels to make the dump bed), but others less so.

My plan is to firstly finish this first model, and check that it's within the size regulations. Then redesign it to comly with the rules (as I'm sure I won't get it right the first time). Then I will make a digital model of it to remember what it looks like, and digitally modify it where needed when I create the B-model. If I at that point see the B-model absolutely needs some parts not found in the initial A-model, then I'll use the digital model to try and implement them in the A-model. Finally, I will rebuild the A-model with whatever changes are needed, and that will be the actual A-mode entry! :classic:

The reason for choosing the grader as the A-model, is simply it has more functions than the dumper B-model.

Anyway, enough talk, I do actually have a couple of pictures of the early stages of the A-model (as it stands today):

800x422.jpg

800x449.jpg

The working functions so far are:

-Front axle steering via rack and pinion

-Front axle pendular suspension

-Blade lift/lower independent left/right with long pneumatic cylinders

-Blade shift left/right with long thin pneumatic cylinder

-Pivot point can be steered left to right the same angle as front axle to allow offset grading position

Depending on how big it turns out, I might implement a front blade and/or a rear ripper. I doubt I'll have room to fit a fake engine in the rear, but we'll see :classic:

Hope you like the idea! This is of course in the very early stages of the build, so expect a lot of changes :blush:

Edited by D3K

It looks fantastic and seems to have a lot of functions, but be careful with the size. With 21 studs of width and ~17 height you can only have a lenght of 28. You should also make some room for the pump. I'm having the same problems,I will post my WIP in a few days.

Edited by kubic

Great idea for both models!!! I wasn't expecting so much progress so fast.

I hate to be a party breaker, but it seems to me you are already getting very close to volume limit...I estimate 46x14x15=9660 to what I can see so far.

Looking good so far :classic:

I think you should replace the large Arocs cylinders with the small ones if possible.

Used-140H-Motor-Grader-CE002317-001-350x262.jpg

Looking good so far :classic:

I think you should replace the large Arocs cylinders with the small ones if possible.

Used-140H-Motor-Grader-CE002317-001-350x262.jpg

Why, they're meant to be tall?

Edited by Epic Technic

Let me rephrase; I think you should replace the large Arocs cylinders with the Arocs small ones if possible, They look too wide.

If it proves to be to big for TC-9 rules then blow off the contest and keep building. It has the potential to become a great model.

Thanks for taking an interest! I have already done some rather heavy redesigning, as it is still very much a WIP. :classic:

nice looks like it will be under 500 pieces

I highly doubt it will be less than 500, but it's still a bit early to tell :wink:

It looks fantastic and seems to have a lot of functions, but be careful with the size. With 21 studs of width and ~17 height you can only have a lenght of 28. You should also make some room for the pump. I'm having the same problems,I will post my WIP in a few days.

Great idea for both models!!! I wasn't expecting so much progress so fast.

I hate to be a party breaker, but it seems to me you are already getting very close to volume limit...I estimate 46x14x15=9660 to what I can see so far.

It is definitely growing out of the box faster than expected, so I'm working on ways to shrink it any way I can :sweet: The total width is now 14 studs, compared to the between 15-16 studs in the above pictures. I have also lowered the angle of the entire front, making it less steep and slightly lower. I am in the process of shortening it by at least one stud as well. Unfortunately that means I will have to slightly redesign the blade as well as move it forward a little bit.. Still working on that. Per now it can be rotated 90 degrees, so the total width of the model is measured at the wheels, not the blade (which is as you mentioned 21 studs wide.

You mean the 1x11 cylinders?

I currently only have one of the 1x11 cylinders, and that is used for the blade shifting left/right function. I am planning on aquiring a couple more, and possibly use them on this model, but I have to concider the B-model as well. While the thin cylinders will probably look better there as well, I'll have to take the functionality into concideration as well. Luckily they should be drop-in replacements for the current cylinders, as they have the same length, stroke, and attachment points :thumbup:

If it proves to be to big for TC-9 rules then blow off the contest and keep building. It has the potential to become a great model.

Thanks, I'm planning to :wink: Hopefully I'll be able to shrink it to comply with the rules of the contest though :classic:

Anyway, I'm going to do some more work on it today, and I'll try to have some updated pics up by tonight :thumbup:

Nice approach to this contest! You are putting quite some effort in it :thumbup:

I do like your initial model. This is exactly what I have in mind for this contest. Not too big, some functions, even some manually operated pneumatics. Good busy as we say in Holland :wink:

Nice approach to this contest! You are putting quite some effort in it :thumbup:

I do like your initial model. This is exactly what I have in mind for this contest. Not too big, some functions, even some manually operated pneumatics. Good busy as we say in Holland :wink:

Thanks! Now here's to hoping it will fit.. Good busy? :laugh: That's a new one for me! :classic:

Anyway, I know I said I'd have some progress by last night, but I got a little delayed, so I'll post some today instead:

I made an actual "box" with the internal dimensions of the model, to help myself, as well as to be able to show exactly what the dimensions actually are. This box will probably change as the model evolves. Anyway, I'll suggest this as a possible rule in the TC9 info topic, as I think it's a great way to constrain and show the exact dimensions of the different entries from looking at the pictures.. :classic:

The "box" I made has an internal area of 14x43 studs, theoretically giving me just 16,5 studs to work with in the vertical direction.

I have shortened the front by one stud compared to the last pictures.

800x440.jpg

800x479.jpg

The above picture shows the heigth of the model (highest point per now is the top of the cylinders), currently at roughly 17 studs, meaning I have to shorten it by 0,5 studs, or make the model shorter to have more playroom vertically.

800x421.jpg

This picture is meant to show that the model is within the "box", but the angle makes the wheels seem out of it, but you can see in the next picture they are actually inside

800x538.jpg

I am really enjoying this build, it really gives me flashbacks from the [mini] contest, where one was looking to save pieces anywhere one could, except here one is trying to save studs in every direction, any way one can! :laugh:

I like, how you shrink it :) In the first post it looked to be impossible, but you already did it :thumbup:

Now only question is, how you could push cabin in the box :)

Functions look already great :wink:

Nice progress so far! Looking at your pictures it turns out 10000 cubic studs is not so big volume after all

I like, how you shrink it :) In the first post it looked to be impossible, but you already did it :thumbup:

Now only question is, how you could push cabin in the box :)

Functions look already great :wink:

Thanks! Yeah, still quite a way to go. I suspect the cabin will have to be rather small, making for a small scale model of a huge machine! :classic:

[...] it turns out 10000 cubic studs is not so big volume after all

Tell me about it! :laugh: When I started conceptualizing the model, I was actually thinking of using the wheels from 8265!! :laugh:

...When I started conceptualizing the model, I was actually thinking of using the wheels from 8265!! :laugh:

Well, four of them one after another have 2000 cubic studs. They don't make too much space between them to fit rules :classic:

Been tinkering a bit more, and have managed to shorten the arm by another 4-5-ish studs, and I think I'm at an absolute minimum now. There is quite a lot going on inside the structure there, so the current iteration is pretty far from the original I had a couple of days ago! :laugh: Also, I simplified the pivot point a little.

In the picture you can see the new front (bottom) compared to the length of the previous one (top). The pivot point of the old one is where you can spot the U-joint.

800x483.jpg

Overall, this should give me more space in the back, and hopefully let me build at least 17 studs high! :classic:

Well, four of them one after another have 2000 cubic studs. They don't make too much space between them to fit rules :classic:

Make a road grader in scale, and I think it would be pretty far above the 10 000 cubic stud limit :classic:

Good busy? :laugh: That's a new one for me! :classic:

In Dutch Goed bezig basically means you are doing well, but bezig also means busy, so the completely erroneous translation from English to Dutch is good busy :laugh:

I like how this is progressing! The fact that you are using the bounding box during the build makes a lot of sense! :thumbup: