BlockLogo

Best (and worst?) of 2015

As the year is winding down and we're already looking forward to the 2016 releases, I wanted to look back on 2015 and hear about what everyone enjoyed out of all this year's LEGO releases. What did you think was the best set, the best theme, the best minifig, the best new part, etc? What was the biggest disappointment of the year?

Best

Theme: Creator, Speed Champions, Scooby Doo

Set: Detective's Office, Mystery Machine

Minifig: Invizable, Cyborg

Worst:

Theme: Pirates wave was pretty lackluster, and I wish there would have been some more The Lego Movie sets than the 3 small ones we got.

Set: ?

Minifig:?

Many 2015 sets are still pretty high on my wish list: Milano, Ferris Wheel, City Square, Airjitzu Temple, and some DC sets for minifigs like Deathstroke and Aquaman. Also only got one Ultra Agents set and liked it a lot, but you gotta have limits.

Edited by BlockLogo

Best is santa's visit, elves treetop hideaway followed by detective's office. Worst is new mf, constraction luke skywalker and speed champion small cars.

I'm not sure of the worst but I agree about Santa's Visit being one of the best, it is a great value for the price and packed with details

Edited by Blue_Bird

Best

Best theme: Scooby Doo

Best set: Temple of Airjitzu

Best minifigure: CMF Series 13 Classic King

Worst:

Worst theme: Jurassic World

Worst set: 30313-Garbage Truck

Worst minifigure: CMF Series 14 Monster Rocker

For 2016: I'm looking forward to CMF S15 and CMF S16. And Nexo Knights!

Edited by Robert8

I'll follow Robert's format.

Only sets I own.

Favorite new theme: Scooby Doo (Dimensions is a close second)

Favorite new set: Kwik-E-Mart

Favorite new minifigure: Comic Book Guy

Least favorite new theme: Pirates (all the new themes this year were good, Pirates is just the one I found a little dissapointing. And no, I'm not counting Classic.)

Least favorite new set: Hallfire Droid No, I was just reminded the true answer- the "new" Winter Village Toy Shop. Screw that set.

Least favorite new minifigure: Squarefoot

Edited by just2good

Favorite new theme: I didn't care for any of them.

Favorite new set: Slave I. The new AAT was a welcome surprise though.

Favorite new minifigure: Tusken Raider

Least favorite new theme: Dimensions is neat, but nothing new or exciting.

Least favorite new set: I don't dislike any sets I got this year.

Least favorite new minifigure: The new Darth Maul is definitely a step down.

Edited by Gremer

Favorite new theme:Scooby Doo

Favorite new set: Ferris Wheel

Favorite new minifigure: Darth Vader in the Death Star Final Battle set

Least favorite new theme: Pirates

Least favorite new set: Tie between the Brick Bounty for the hull defect or the Star Wars Imperial Troop transport, because these are not the stormtroopers I am looking for

Least favorite new minifigure: dont really have one from the sets I bought this year

Best new theme: Speed Champions

Best new set: 76042 SHIELD Helicarrier :wub:

Best new minifigure: Ant-Man

Worst new theme: Pirates, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. There were a lot of great themes this year.

Worst new set: 10249 Winter Toy Shop

Worst new minifigure: Dareth from the Temple of Airjitzu. :sick: The polybag version is much better.

Best NEW theme: Speed Champions

Best new sets (sorry I can't decide): 10247 Ferris Wheel and 60097 City Square

Best Minifigure: Ace Brickman

Worst NEW theme: Jurassic World

Worst new set: 30314 Go-Kart Racer

Worst new Minifigure: Don't know

For me...

Best new theme: Elves and the Bionicle reboot, if that counts.

Best new set: Temple of Airjitzu, Skyra's Mysterious Sky Castle, Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty, Ultra Agents Ocean HQ, Master Wu Dragon.

Best new minifig: Azari, Anti-Matter, Ghoultar, Evil Green Ninja, CMF Skeleton Guy. And believe me, it was hard to narrow it down even that far!

Worst new theme: Jurassic World. Fairly mediocre sets and inaccurate dinosaurs, without even the originality and appealing colors of the in-house Dino theme from 2012.

Worst new set: 75110 Luke Skywalker. I don't hate his head mold as much as some people, but it is the least visually interesting of all the new Star Wars heads, and the same applies to his entire outfit.

Worst new minifig: Breezor from Legends of Chima. Barely looked like a beaver at all.

Best New Theme: Scooby-Doo, Speed Champions

Best Set: Temple of Airjitzu, Master Wu Dragon, Mystery Machine

Best Minifigure: Series 13 King, Simpsons 2 Bartman, Series 14 Specter, Others: Evil Green Ninja, Zukin Ninja

Worst New Theme: Jurassic World

Worst Set: Any Jurassic World One

Worst Minifigure: Series 13 Female Cyclops, Simpsons 2 Maggie, Series 14 Franken-Rocker, Others: ACU troopers

I forgot about the Temple of Airjitzu.... that's the best set for sure!

I don't understand the hate for Jurassic World. I really liked that theme. :cry_sad:

It was pretty lackluster

Least favorite new set: Hallfire Droid No, I was just reminded the true answer- the "new" Winter Village Toy Shop. Screw that set.

hahahaha

Edited by Robert8

This doesn't really follow the format, but the best thing out of Lego this year IMO was dual molded legs. Minifigs look so much better now, especially some of the Super Heroes minifigs.

Well the only real sets that I bought this year was Bionicle and a random Chima polybag so this list won't be the best, but hey, maybe next year.

So my favorite set that I got this year was Gali Master of Water. The set impressed me much more than I though it would, it went from being a toa that I thought was going to be a disappointment, to being my favorite.

Now the least favorite set has to be Skull Scorpio. He's not really as bad as some make it seem, but there could of been more done with it I feel. The set feels very much like a statue, meant more for display with some arm and head/neck movement. Now granted his function is really fun, but the rest of him, just isn't all that great to play with, or to look at.

Now the set that I thought would of been my favorite had I gotten it, would have to be none other than that of the Slave One. The ship it self is great looking, so it's no surprise that its more modern LEGO version would look so great.

Now the least favorite I think would have to of gone to maybe the bear mech from Chima or Skull Scorpio, it's a tough choice.

Best for me was the Series 14 Collectible Minifigures.

I don't really have a worst.

Best New Theme: Speed Champions

Best New Set: Ultra Agents Ocean HQ

Best New Minifigures: S13 King, S13 Goblin, Captain Phasma

Worst New Sets: Super Villain Team-Up :sick: , WALL-E, Winter Village Toy Shop

Worst New Minifigure: Breezor

Best New Theme: Speed Champions

Best New Set: Ultra Agents Ocean HQ

Best New Minifigures: S13 King, S13 Goblin, Captain Phasma

Worst New Sets: Super Villain Team-Up :sick: , WALL-E, Winter Village Toy Shop

Worst New Minifigure: Breezor

S13 king gets a lot of love.. I like ocean hq also.

Best New Theme - Scooby Doo

Best New Set - Detective's Office (If I had it I think I might say the temple of Airjitsu)

Best Minifig - Fly Monster

Worst New Theme - Jurassic World

Worst set - all of Minecraft or the 60081 Pickup Tow truck for being so massively redundant.

Worst New Minifigure - Female Cyclops.

Best New Theme - Scooby Doo

Best New Set - Detective's Office (followed by City Square second and Temple Of Airjitsu third)

Best Minifig - Ace Brickman

Worse New Theme - actually it's a sub-theme - City Swamp Police

Worse New Set - City Swamp Police Station

Worse New Minifig - can't really say.

Best New Theme: Scooby Doo - I haven't got any, but I do like the look of a couple of the sets, such as Haunted Lighthouse and Mystery Mansion

Best New Set: I'm split between Temple of Airjitsu and Detective's Office

Best Minifig: 71008: Alien Trooper from series 13

Worst New Theme: Jurassic World - I agree with people who say that it was just rather lacklustre.

Worst New Set: Anything Mixels or Bionicle. Sorry, I just can't stand them! ;-)

Worst New Minifig: Nothing springs to mind!

Best New Set: It's a tie between 70751 Temple of Airjitzu and 70734 Master Wu Dragon. I wasn't a fan of Ninjago until this year, and these are the two sets that won me over. Not only are they beautiful sets, but building them was incredibly fun. Just barely behind these two sets is the 10246 Detective's Office, my first modular (but not my last!).

Best New Theme: Elves

Best New Minifigure: Wu from the Temple of Airjitzu. Something about his robe reminds me of Uncle Iroh when he was running his tea store. A close second goes to the three female minifigures who use this hairpiece 87991.jpg--I've been using that hair for women for years now, and it's good to see it used that way in an official set. Square Foot is in third place, but that's mainly because I love Bigfoot.

Worst New Set: Again, it's a tie--this time between 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle and 21302 The Big Bang Theory. These two exemplify some of my biggest reasons for disliking licensed themes, in that it's hard to make a good set from mediocre subject matter (especially when the price is as high as it is on these two sets--I'm much less likely to cut a set some slack if it feels expensive for what it offers). I don't think either of these sets looks that good, and The Big Bang Theory doesn't even interest me for anything other than a couple of the unique pieces, like the Chinese food box. The contrast between The Big Bang Theory and the recent modular sets is huge: while I love the interesting and innovative ways that modular designers use pieces to create interiors (especially in the Parisian Restaurant and the Detective's Office), whereas everything in The Big Bang Theory seems straightforward.

Worst New Theme: I'll agree with Jurassic World here, though my least favorite new subtheme is The Force Awakens.

Worst New Minifigure: The little girls from 10249 Toy Shop (a set that managed to avoid my "Worst New Set" list because, although I was disappointed with it, it's still a great set), 40122 Trick or Treat Halloween Set, and 40124 Winter Fun (and any other similar minifigures I may have missed). Seriously, I'm fine with torso prints that have breasts and curves, but using those torsos for little girls just seems wrong.

My Favorite Themes for this Year: Marvel Superheros, The LEGO Movie, Star Wars, Bionicle, Ideas, Speed Champions and Creator Expert

Best Sets in My Opinion (including those I don't own yet): Double Decker Couch, Detective's Office, Temple of Airjitsu, Dr. Who, Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder, and General Grievous.

Best Minifigures: Ant-Man, Iron Man Mark 45, old Han Solo, and ALL IDEAS FIGURES.

My Least Favorite Themes for this Year: Minecraft (I actually enjoy the game, but all the sets look lazy)

Worst Sets this Year: Skull Scorpio, Spiderman vs. Sandman, any Minecraft set.

Biggest Let Down: Wall-E an otherwise excellent set plagued by the neck issue and quality control issues followed by a recall, here is hoping that when it is re-released it will be fixed well so it can become one of the best sets of 2016...