Jim

[TC9] Technic A Plus B Model Contest - Information Topic

If I build a plane or helicopter, would the height be measured with the landing wheels up or down?

If you can retract the landing gear, it can be measured with landing gear up. Just like the boom of a crane.

We are allowed a car & trailer, but are we allow to build something to go on the trailer? Would that fall under the "No seperate models" rule? (Example car, trailer & motorboat)

I have discussed this with Milan and we think this should be okay. It is an edge case, but you can make a car-trailer-hauled object type of vehicle, as long as the hauled object fits on the trailer and the trailer obviously should be able to connect to the car. The size is measures whith the object on the trailer and the trailer behind the car.

So, this is okay (the wings are foldable by the way, so they are not taken off the fuselage)

23131952210_01c6a3c8f1_z.jpg

But out there, but the models I am thinking of using require a balloon and a thumbtack, would these be allowed?

Sorry, no non-LEGO parts (unless otherwise stated in the rules).

When we present the final models, can they be presented functioning together? That is sort of what I am aiming for so its best to know now. ;)

For the entry post, I think it would be good for everyone to show (or link to) a set of pictures of the model placed within a makeshift "box" of sorts, to show without a shadow of doubt the actual physical dimensions of the model.

Actually that crossed my mind, so it's good that you brought it up. Nice example too. Although I'd rather see a liftarm used as a vertical, so we can easily determine the size. Something like this:

23095341939_d04e847238_c.jpg

When we present the final models, can they be presented functioning together? That is sort of what I am aiming for so its best to know now. ;)

You bet you can!

Maybe this should even be mandatory, although it would require building two models or using photoshop like software.

Thank you Jim

So, this is okay (the wings are foldable by the way, so they are not taken off the fuselage)

Great news, thank you. I'm still not sure if I can fit all that in 10000cs so I may just build the plane instead.

I'm gonna be THAT RUDE GUY and just say...

Can you please stop nitpicking about side mirros, suspension heights, etc... Stop trying to find holes in these competitions rules and play fair and with some common sense...and a sense of sportmanship...

nothing to add

Would LEGO Designers do that?

Would LEGO Designers do that?

If I were one then yes :grin:. They don't actually but they are allowed a few extra pieces. So is it okay or not?

Epic - why not have the front end loader as model a and the dump truck as model b?

I assume as per a standard Lego model that not all of As parts have to be used in Bs ?

Epic - why not have the front end loader as model a and the dump truck as model b?

I assume as per a standard Lego model that not all of As parts have to be used in Bs ?

True, but then I need to hide two 42009 tires in it for double rear tires for the B model.

I like the idea of posting pics with a beam box around it.

Not sure if this had already been asked (so sorry Jim if it already has) but I assume a model sitting on an angle in a box is ok. So for example a plane where the fuselage is heavily inclined because of its undercarriage. So you'd measure it as sitting on the ground and not along the length of its fuselage ?

I took the rules as being as long as it fits in the volume box its ok

Not sure if this had already been asked (so sorry Jim if it already has) but I assume a model sitting on an angle in a box is ok. So for example a plane where the fuselage is heavily inclined because of its undercarriage. So you'd measure it as sitting on the ground and not along the length of its fuselage ?

While you are technically right about fitting the box, let's measure the model in it's normal position.

Maybe this should even be mandatory, although it would require building two models or using photoshop like software.

Hopefully it won't be mandatory, cause I don't have enough parts. Yes, i could buy them by bricklink, but now I would like to build only with parts I actualy have(which is even more challenging with less then 4000 on my shelf) :blush:

On the other hand, official sets also have only parts for one model, when you want build B-model, you have to disassamble A-model.

Edited by muffinbrick

Hopefully it won't be mandatory, cause I don't have enough parts. Yes, i could buy them by bricklink, but now I want to build only with parts I actualy have(which is even more challenging with less then 4000 on my shelf) :blush:

On the other hand, official sets also have only parts for one model, when you want build B-model, you have to disassamble A-model.

I am talking about giving you two options, not a single one :wink:

Sounds like a very interesting contest indeed, I won't be taking part though as that I'm currently working on a container side loading trailer and truck, so that's all of my useful parts taken :laugh:

If I were one then yes :grin:. They don't actually but they are allowed a few extra pieces. So is it okay or not?

Wow, I really need to spell it out :hmpf_bad:

Obviously hiding parts is hard to check, and in a certain way it's not a bad thing when it comes to using some extra pins or liftarms etc. But hiding a bucket or extra wheels is just plain stupid. That's not what this contest is about and you shouldn't even be asking it.

Like I stated in the rules; make it as official as possible. TLG designers aren't hiding buckets to facilitate a B-model. Maybe an extra gear (arctic truck), but that's about it.

Just take a look at how D3K is going about this contest, and you will find a perfect example of how it's done.

OK, so i'll try to "photoshop" it somehow. But one more question - will it be mandatory to present both models this way also in video, or only in pictures? Because make it in video would be more complicated, therefore i should be finished with building sooner to manage required presentation.

OK, so i'll try to "photoshop" it somehow. But one more question - will it be mandatory to present both models this way also in video, or only in pictures? Because make it in video would be more complicated, therefore i should be finished with building sooner to manage required presentation.

Don't worry about the duo-presentation. I don't think I will enforce this "rule". It's fun to see both models in a single picture, but it doesn't really add value to the contest. Forgot I mentioned it :wink:

(duo-presentation is allowed though)

Wow, I really need to spell it out :hmpf_bad:

Obviously hiding parts is hard to check, and in a certain way it's not a bad thing when it comes to using some extra pins or liftarms etc. But hiding a bucket or extra wheels is just plain stupid. That's not what this contest is about and you shouldn't even be asking it.

Like I stated in the rules; make it as official as possible. TLG designers aren't hiding buckets to facilitate a B-model. Maybe an extra gear (arctic truck), but that's about it.

Just take a look at how D3K is going about this contest, and you will find a perfect example of how it's done.

Wouldnt most of these "hacks" or attempts to bend the rule just get sniffed out during voting and scored less?

I know i wouldnt award lots of points to a model which just stashes inappropriate parts somewhere for the sake of using them in the B-model

Wouldnt most of these "hacks" or attempts to bend the rule just get sniffed out during voting and scored less?

They probably would, but it is best to lower their number and raise the quality of the entry models.

I know i wouldnt award lots of points to a model which just stashes inappropriate parts somewhere for the sake of using them in the B-model

Hopefully that's the case indeed! But like Milan pointed out, it's best to avoid the situation in the first place.

Is it that there may be more than one person on a same subject ?

No, so far we did not have team-building contests :)

No, I misspoke . This is because I started a moc on a subject but someone else too. So do I still continue on the same subject ?