Jim

[TC9] Technic A Plus B Model Contest - Information Topic

After careful deliberation, this is the verdict.

• No for separate models.
  • Yes for car with trailer (measured from front to back)
  • No for taking things off the model.

Like Tomik said; we are making things too complicated.

Haven't seen 10.000 before I have to admit

You really need to get off that Island once in a while :laugh::wink:

Well, good news and bad news. Good news: cubic studs is a really good way to measure a models size. Bad news: 10000 cubic studs is smaller than it sounds. I need to go back to square one, since my first estimations for my snow groomer seem to be around 30000 cubic studs :look:

10000 cubic studs is smaller than it sounds.

That's what I found out quickly as well! :laugh::blush:

That's good news :wink:

I was looking for smaller models and I was afraid that 10000 would still be too big. Apparently it's fine :laugh:

Oh my... Now I just realize how small is 10000... For example Lego Technic 8262 A model aka Quad Bike is about 9000... This will be quite challenging build :sceptic: But rules are rules, and that is a good thing :thumbup:

Edited by MacKaiwer

I think we should think really small. A set like 42022 would just fit, I think. It's about 35 x 20 x 12 (guessed, not measured) including wheels.

I think one should think almost as small as the Mini contest. Maybe 300, 400 parts max. I know I can fit a 700 part model in a 10000cs box (I tried), but that was quite compact and it will be hard to fit two models with the same parts in such a box.

I'm waiting for the set reviews for 1H2016 for inspiration. Be sure to check out small sets for ideas. I think it will either be something without wheels, or picking the right wheels will be very important.

If I build a plane or helicopter, would the height be measured with the landing wheels up or down?

I'd say that the model would be measured in its smallest possible configuration, i.e. crane with boom down and folded, plane with landing gear retracted, dump truck with bed lowered. Jim mentioned in the first post that the model can have things that extend out of the box, like crane arms, as long as they can be retracted or folded without being removed. I'd presume the same would apply to landing gear.

This size limit is a bit disappointing, We will miss middle size models again.

No for taking things off the model.
So removing extra wheels, which would be a cargo in A model (like in 8479) is no longer acceptable?

What if B-model needs some piece that was not part of of A-model, but would be easily hidden or attached to it initially? I just think it is not really possible to have both models built simultaneously, it would be more of "A-model first, disassemble it, build B-model from existing pieces.

Any update on this please?

• No for separate models.

You had my hopes up for a while there. I thinks it's a good decision. Maybe we can later make a multi-set contest :wink:

Anyways, I'll need to re-think it. I really like the 10k limit, but I don't have any ideas on what to build yet... :sceptic: **puts on thinking cap**

I just thought of something, and want to make a suggestion to an addition to the rules.

For the entry post, I think it would be good for everyone to show (or link to) a set of pictures of the model placed within a makeshift "box" of sorts, to show without a shadow of doubt the actual physical dimensions of the model. I'm thinking of a flat frame, simply built out of system or Technic bricks/liftarms, that should be easily read from the pictures, with some vertical constraints (I just used some axles, and liftarms for measuring) where appropriate to "prove" that the model is within the contest specified 10 000 cubic studs.

Here is a picture to show you what I mean:

800x538.jpg

More pictures to explain what I mean (amongst others a suggestion for vertical heigth read out) can be seen in my latest post in my TC9/WIP topic.

PS: If Jim thinks it not appropriate for me to show pictures of my model/link to my topic in this topic, then obviously delete pic/link. It's not meant as advertising, just to help you understand what I mean :blush:

Edited by D3K

I think I am finally getting ideas down on paper. A calculator has been attached to my hip for the last couple of days making sure my dimensions will be under 10,000 cubic studs.

This is so much fun already.

I just thought of something, and want to make a suggestion to an addition to the rules.

For the entry post, I think it would be good for everyone to show (or link to) a set of pictures of the model placed within a makeshift "box" of sorts, to show without a shadow of doubt the actual physical dimensions of the model. I'm thinking of a flat frame, simply built out of system or Technic bricks/liftarms, that should be easily read from the pictures, with some vertical constraints (I just used some axles, and liftarms for measuring) where appropriate to "prove" that the model is within the contest specified 10 000 cubic studs.

I think it is good idea. There won't be any doubts, if certain model fits, or not.

I'm going to sound repetitive, but wow 10000 studs is much smaller than I thought :grin: . Its surprising how fast a model can grow

We are allowed a car & trailer, but are we allow to build something to go on the trailer? Would that fall under the "No seperate models" rule? (Example car, trailer & motorboat)

But out there, but the models I am thinking of using require a balloon and a thumbtack, would these be allowed?

Is there a minimum number of functions?

No, but since this is Technic challenge, try to have few :)

No, but since this is Technic challenge, try to have few :)

As much as You can, and even littlebit more.