Jim

[TC9] Technic A Plus B Model Contest - Information Topic

I am, but there is no fun with such rules. Just checked - it will be the 3rd skipped contest in a row :sceptic:

The majority of the people here seem to like different restrictions for different contests. And I like to see people leaving their comfort zone. In my opinion this results in more variety. If you don't agree with this, feel free to discuss this in the General Contest Discussion topic.

P.S. why even leds were not allowed? Do they make such a difference?

No they don't. That's exactly why you don't need to use them :wink:

More restrictions can't give more variety. Look at the cranes contest for example. LEGO is about imagination and creativity - not about the restrictions, but that is off-topic.

Edited by Omikron

I think restrictions force us to think more creatively. The builders on EB who can adapt to the different contests are the real pros here, IMHO.

I'm used to building motorized MOCs larger than 10,000 studs, so this is going to be a fun but challenging contest for me.

More restrictions can't give more variety. Look at the cranes contest for example. LEGO is about imagination and creativity - not about the restrictions but that is offtopic

I think restrictions are a good thing, but the crane contest was also a breath of fresh air in that regards, as the entries were so different from one another. But that's just it, different contest, different restrictions (or lack thereof).

If you won't participate in the contest because you can't use a motor to drive your pneumatic system, then that is of course your privilige.

The main problem of not having restrictions, is that people will enter the competition with an existing MOC. That's something I'd like to avoid as much as possible. For me, that takes away the fun of running a contest. That's why I try to change the restrictions for each contest.

Feel free to respond, I will move this "debate" over to the general contest discussion later tonight.

I don't see it a a problem that no PF stuff is allowed in this contest,there will be other contests in which you will be able to use power functions. :wink:

As Burgerman Dhc6twinotter say's contests with rules, challenges us "moc builders" out their more than contest that don't have any restrictions.

Ps nobody has told me if I can enter... :cry_sad:

Ps nobody has told me if I can enter... :cry_sad:

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes

I don't know whether you are concidered ataff staff or not, but you are allowed to enter, no doubt. Been a while since we saw a MOC from you now, looking forward to it! :thumbup:

Edited by D3K

Honestly, look at the 8455, 700 pieces, all manual with pneumatics, simply one of the best technic set ever….I don't see a problem with not having PF or pumps or whatsoever….so happy to participate to this new wonderful contest!!

Honestly, look at the 8455, 700 pieces, all manual with pneumatics, simply one of the best technic set ever….I don't see a problem with not having PF or pumps or whatsoever….so happy to participate to this new wonderful contest!!

I can't agree more. Contests are meant to be challenging and something new, that why restrictions are good.

If we think a little wider, building Lego in general also comes with restrictions. If you want no limits, you can always produce whatever digitally. To me the very essence of my interest for Lego, is the challenge because of the restrictions, yet endless possibilities. And creating something physical. There is always a practical problem to solve, compromises to make. And coming up with a creative solution always feels good.

Edited by kolbjha

I'm wondering if I can build a multipart set similar to 42023, with multiple things. If allowed, how should I calculate the volume, sum of the individual parts or just line them all up and then calculate the box they occupy? I thought it best to ask before I move onwards with my plans, rather than get a nasty disqualification at reveal time. I have already started, but not so far yet as to no be able to reverse direction, or even start over.

That's a difficult question Mr Wolf :wink:

Basically I am not against it, but I have declined a request for taking off parts of the model. I know this is different, but it's still a thin line. In order to keep things fair, and since the contest wasn't meant to make three separate models, I think it's better not to allow your request. If people think otherwise, let me know.

Basically I am not against it, but I have declined a request for taking off parts of the model. I know this is different, but it's still a thin line. In order to keep things fair, and since the contest wasn't meant to make three separate models, I think it's better not to allow your request. If people think otherwise, let me know.

Back to the old drawing board, then.. :sceptic: I had planned on having the A model be 2 vehicles, and the B model a robot or a combo vehicle, but now hmm got to think something else. :look:

What if vehicle is with trailer? Is trailer allowed? of course connected to vehicle.

Back to the old drawing board, then.. :sceptic: I had planned on having the A model be 2 vehicles, and the B model a robot or a combo vehicle, but now hmm got to think something else. :look:

I have changed my mind. Go ahead and do the three part build. You can add the volume of each of the bounding boxes, so the total will be the sum of three parts.

What if vehicle is with trailer? Is trailer allowed? of course connected to vehicle.

A trailer is allowed too.

Are we allowed to have a piece of the model, like a crane boom, come off to fit in the box, as long as that part goes in as well?

To be clear; taking parts of a model is not allowed.

(unless taking off parts is done in the real world too)

Two separate builds (like car and trailer) is okay, but taking a model apart to fit the box isn't allowed.

I have changed my mind. Go ahead and do the three part build. You can add the volume of each of the bounding boxes, so the total will be the sum of three parts.

I think we are trying to make simple rules too complicated. It will be much more clear if we stay with one box with maximum volume 10.000 cubic studs instead of adding volumes of several boxes together. If you wanna build more models make them as big / small as they fit in this one box.

To be clear; taking parts of a model is not allowed.

Two separate builds (like car and trailer) is okay, but taking a model apart to fit the box isn't allowed.

I think this should be applied just for trailers or similar stuff in same way like multiple model (see above). If you allowed "unless taking off parts is done in the real world" we should accept for example taking off wheels because it can be done in real world too... :sceptic:

I think we are trying to make simple rules too complicated. It will be much more clear if we stay with one box with maximum volume 10.000 cubic studs instead of adding volumes of several boxes together. If you wanna build more models make them as big / small as they fit in this one box.

This is basically the same as adding the volumes, since all three combined need to fit in a single box of 10.000 cubic studs.

But I agree we need to keep this simple. Let me think about it for a bit, before I change the rules (again).

Yes, but with two separate things, which height is different, volume will be different (smaller) for each box, than if we put those together, and then try to put in one box.

I was planning to calculate volume for vehicle and trailer connected, so they fit in one box.

Yes, but with two separate things, which height is different, volume will be different (smaller) for each box, than if we put those together, and then try to put in one box.

I was planning to calculate volume for vehicle and trailer connected, so they fit in one box.

That is the valid way to calculate!

I am discussing the rules as we speak. I will post my definitive answer in a bit.

This is a great contest. I like the restrictions of the cubic studs, the requirement of the B model, and the manual functions requirement. I think this will create some creative builds, and force many of us builders outside of our comfort zone.

Thirdwigg, I agree entirely.

Jim made a perfectly simple rules and challenging restrictions, and even a prizes for best models! What would you ask more.

Omikron only likes to build huge stuff.

Not true.

I just like power functions more than manual functions.

Besides getting an SBrick is awesome and cool, but you just can't use it with manual functions. It's main purpose - to be used with power functions.

Edited by Omikron

I had a panic when I first read the rules as to how I was going to make a model to fit in a 10 cubic stud limit. Good old differences in writing large numbers!

I'd write 10000

Some would write 10,000

Haven't seen 10.000 before I have to admit