AardWolf

English Trading Cog

My second entry to this year's CCC on classic-castle.com, I present the English Trading Cog. More pictures and a more detailed description can be found on Flickr.

This build was particularly challenging, perhaps even more so than my Spirit of Lenfald, because of the CCC's size restrictions. This made it very difficult to achieve good curvature in the hull, but with the help of some newly acquired Mixels joints, some Technic liftarms, hinges, and jumper plates, I made it happen. The rudder works and the spar and sail swivel with a range of motion of about 60 degrees. Overall I am very pleased with the result. Let me know what you think!

23302569146_8e3d8aefba_c.jpg

22701574713_d7bd7e62d5_c.jpg

Edited by AardWolf

Awesome cog mate, we can't have enough of these around here, love it! Which referecences did you use though? I'm alway on the search for more inspiration myself ...

I concur. You can never have too many vessels of any type, especially in the Historic themes. They played a big role, but we don't see enough of them. I think the hull shaping is excellent and overall it has a nice balanced look. The custom sail also looks good. Excellent work.

It looks great !

Any interior in it ?

Guess not, otherwise you would probably have taken a shot of it :classic:

Great work though !

Excellent cog Aardwolf, great shape there, and the use of the window frame pieces is superb! :thumbup:

Great job! I love the design of your ship and all the different techniques you used :thumbup:

Awesome cog mate, we can't have enough of these around here, love it! Which referecences did you use though? I'm alway on the search for more inspiration myself ...

Thank you! I actually just used Google Images, including these:http://https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Kieler_Hansekogge_2007.jpg and http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~vaucher/History/Ships_Discovery/Ships/Northern_cog.jpg

I concur. You can never have too many vessels of any type, especially in the Historic themes. They played a big role, but we don't see enough of them. I think the hull shaping is excellent and overall it has a nice balanced look. The custom sail also looks good. Excellent work.

Thank you very much, and I really appreciate that!

One of my favorite LEGO ships to date. Well done!

Thanks man!

It looks great !

Any interior in it ?

Guess not, otherwise you would probably have taken a shot of it :classic:

Great work though !

Thanks! Unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible to make an interior in a vessel with this kind of hull design. Not only is the inside crisscrossed with Mixels joints and technic liftarms, but it also must be pretty solid to counterbalance the stress of the curved hull pieces.

Marvelous ship!

Thank you!

Excellent cog Aardwolf, great shape there, and the use of the window frame pieces is superb! :thumbup:

Thank you very much, glad you like those windows!

Great job! I love the design of your ship and all the different techniques you used :thumbup:

Thank you very much!

Beautiful Ship, great Entry!

Thanks a ton!

Really well made boat, Aaron! Keep it up!

Thanks Drew, I really appreciate that!