Sign in to follow this  
jonnywells

Help with 10179 bricklink

Right decided to try and do the challenge of BLing the 10179!

I have spent an ages using the brickstock program changing certain parts around and managed to creat my wanted list on bricklink.

Unfortunately it seems both Brickficiency and Brick Wizard are both broken :cry_sad:

Any advise on how to go about getting the fewest list of stores?

Edited by jonnywells

What seems to be broken about Brickficiency?

Because the number of lots on the UCS sets are so large, it helps to break your search up into multiple brickficiency searches. Let brickficiency run up to the point where all the stores have been identified and it starts trying to find combinations. Stop the program, and view the number of stores found. I typically will exclude the lots that have less than 10 stores from my list. You will probably need to break your searches up into 3-4 separate lot lists.

Another tip I have is to use brick stock to find the average price of all the inventory in your list (Alt+A then Alt+G). Upload that parts list into your wanted list on Bricklink...this will upload prices as well. Once you run your new parts list with a smaller number of lots (say 50), you can find the stores offering the largest number of parts at the lowest price. Then, go into that particular store and add any additional items which are below your average price required. Although these aren't the cheapest prices for those particular parts on bricklink, it will cut down on the shipping costs used, which will ultimately save you more money.

Hope that helps.

I would also first identify and remove the more expensive and harder to find items and then create the 'bulk' orders for the more common peices - this will help you find cheaper sellers based on the majority of the parts, rather than the fewer sellers with the more rarer (and expensive) items who may not be as value for money on the remainder of your orders. There has been some good recent posts on the best parts to substitute and those hard to find parts which are best bought manually and not via the tools.

This being a good forum to start with - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80053&st=200

Edited by Hold0511

Brickficiency crashes on startup, tried it on 2 machines and the same thing happens

I've also been experiencing this recently, both in Windows 7 and Windows 10. I think it may be related to some Windows update or the like, since both machines worked OK a few weeks ago.

I'm in the process of accumulating parts and I use Brickstock quite a bit in my initial filtering. Here are some of my thoughts:

- setting all parts to the average BL inventory price and sorting by total price and part price lets you find the most expensive lots. You can focus on substituting these, .

- if you scroll through the list of parts in Brickstock, it will list the used and new prices and number of lots for sale on the left. You can use this as a guide to find rare and problematic parts.

- It's a bit of manual work, but's it's worthwhile comparing the average prices to Lego Pick a Brick and Bricks n Pieces. Some parts may be slightly more expensive from LEGO, but if you look on their BL price guide pages you'll see that the only way to get them is from multiple stores. Bear in mind that LEGO usually offers free shipping on order over a certain value, so this is great for large, heavy lots (sort parts by total weight in Brickstock).