Spirit

[MOC] M:Tron MAGNUD

M:Tron time!

22628894663_9f93e3c64b_c.jpg

So, I made a mecha freely inspired by GUNDAMs (not rigorously at all, proportions are off) and more specifically the ones designed by Matt 0ne whom I thank for his help and advice with this, as well as for letting me take inspiration from his (awesome) LDD models.

This is the MAGNUD : Mechanical Armored Giant with Nuclear Unobtainium Drive.

While a defensive unit, like the Asteroid Field Recon Voyager, it's also used for any other task.

Recently nicknamed Lucy, apparently something about the picture above. :grin:

22960169950_81d8abe9dc_z.jpg 22861864977_a31753390b_z.jpg

I was particularly curious about the feasability of a mecha at this scale. And more precisely if it would collapse under its weight or not. Well, the answer is: possible, but finding the right balance can take a few seconds.

22960168060_4db9106fcc_z.jpg

It has a cockpit and a pilot. Nothing complicated to keep it as light as possible.

22960166220_7373b40b19_z.jpg

You can have an idea of its scale with this picture (look at the hand).

22861857317_32c0f8ab40_z.jpg

It has retractable missile launchers...

22628896573_ccfdbb3eef_z.jpg

And railguns.

22861851297_3f1bc9f160_z.jpg

It can easily be given fairly natural poses thanks to a number of joints. And it has wings and reactors because... because it's easier to make it fly than walk. :tongue:

22888060359_50cc973bcc_z.jpg

The bottom of the legs are in two separate parts to increase stability and solidity.

23229863166_09dc607c9e_z.jpg

And it's really a poser, that's almost annoying sometimes. It'd better stop with that behaviour. :angry:

22730391988_413b69cdc2_z.jpg

Its eyes are phosphorescent, and of course, like any good M:Tron, it glows under the black light. :wub:

There, hope you liked it. :wink:

Edited by Spirit

Okay, this is just plain awesome. Just...just plain awesome. :wub::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I especially like your choice of parts for the chest core. It juts out a bit, on the side views, but from the front it looks amazing. :wub::thumbup:

Recently nicknamed Lucy, apparently something about the picture above. :grin:

And now I have that stuck in my head. Not complaining!

And the mech is impressively enormous. It took me a moment to get a good idea of the scale. VERY nice job.

Haha, thanks. :laugh:

@Lind Whisperer: I tried a few other things in that area with the same idea, but most seemed really overdone. If the parts I needed for what I had in mind are ever released in red, I'll make sure to update it. For now, I think this simple and probably slightly naive appearance will do, indeed. :classic:

@Space Police XVIII: I originally had a picture with the minifig at its feet (it hardly reaches the ankle), but that made it look bigger than it actually feels when I have it in hands. I think that humanoid shape is a little disturbing when it comes to scales. :sceptic:

Nice work!

Big and highly detailed model with a lot of good ideas.

I like those retractable launchers and I really like the legs.

It must be nice to see it glows in the dark and...well...it must be nice and fun to build such a model with real bricks!

Finally, thanks for your words : I'm glad to know that some of my models can be source of inspiration for someone else!

@Umbra-Manis: I find M:Tron much more versatile than most other space themes, classic space aside, and parts compatible with the theme are really easy to find. :)

@Brick Capon: Well, if they plunder this one, it's gonna hurt. :look:

@matt_one: Thanks. Credit were credit's due, I wouldn't have made it at all if I hadn't seen your mechs. ;)

Im not normally one for mechs... But this one... This one ticks boxes that i didnt even know existed for me! I really love how this looks just right in every proportion, the colour balance is perfect, with the right amount of trans parts. Id be proud of this if i had one, and i wouldnt ever want to take it apart! Great job!

*edit* forgot to say, i really like that first photo!

Edited by Fuppylodders

I had wanted to build a mech of some sort. I will definitely look at this for inspiration.

M:Tron is one of my favorite themes. It's hard for me to decide between M:Tron and Blacktron 2. But seeing this in M:Tron, it is impressive. Now I wonder what something this scale will look like in Blacktron 2 color scheme and design. Maybe that is what I'll look into doing.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks everybody. :)

@carebear: Apparently it really has a strong oldschool vibe, quite a few people found it to look like those classic mechas, from Mazinger to Gundam. ^_^

@TheLegoDr: You'll have way more choice in white than in red. Many parts I wanted to use only existed in other colours, and most were available in white. Good luck. :)