Blue_Bird

What are you reading?

22 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Reading "Ready Player One" again, thanks to the SDCC trailer. As a side note...I'm intrigued to see the new quests/jet added for the movie...and Spielberg's reason for doing so. I'm excited. 

I've never read the book, but I started hearing about the film adaptation as SDCC was drawing nearer, and was intrigued. Then I saw the trailer and was blown away! The two parts that really got me were Iron Giant's appearance and the usage of that haunting rendition of Pure Imagination in the trailer's first half.

By the way, if you have not seen it already, here is an interesting trailer breakdown by Screen Rant that was quite surprising, given I thought I myself had deduced every cameo seen in the trailer. :oh:

http://screenrant.com/ready-player-one-trailer-references-cameos/

I have read Ready Player One last summer. Its certainly not high literature, but probably the biggest fan-service-work of all time :wink: This said, I think quite of people will be disappointed to see a lot of the 80s memes removed and replaced by more current things. Then again, 2D arcade games and oldschool dungeon crawler aren't really much rooted in the public conscience of cinemagoer today. And the trailer had Rush, so that's a nice flashback for the 80s crowd. Also turning a book into a film usually isn't a straight conversion. It often requires massive rearrangements. The idea itself is intriguing, but I would have preferred someone else would have done it. Spielberg hasn't impressed me much in the recent years. His CGI-heavy films look pretty run-off-the-mill.

Ok, back to topic. Currently I'm reading a biography on Abraham Lincoln by Jörg Nagler, called "Amerikas Großer Präsident". Americas Great President. A good read

Almost finished Ahsoka, then starting Catalyst, both Star Wars books. I've been a Star Wars fan basically all my life but never really read any of the books. Thought I'd change that, so a couple weeks ago I bought two comics (Han Solo and Obi-Wan & Anakin) and two novels. Finished the comics and, as I said, finishing up the first novel. Not regretting it at all! :grin:

Ready Player One looks like the biggest fan-service fan-fiction thing. I think it looks freakin' terrible and I love most of the things in it :P. I read a bit of it and was disgusted by the level of cheese. It was one of the more annoying books I've read a bit of. Had to put it down. Just not in my taste! XD

The last two books I've read are Handmaid's Tale which is pretty good. Read it with my girlfriend. Watched the new TV show afterwards too. 3/5 stars. Not exactly something I'd read normally but enjoyable.

I'm now reading White Fang which is so far not grabbing me at all. 

I want to continue reading the Game of Thrones books after I'm done with White Fang. I love world building books. GRRM is just great at building worlds. Better than basically anyone IMO.

On 8/1/2017 at 7:00 PM, npgcole said:

Almost finished Ahsoka, then starting Catalyst, both Star Wars books. I've been a Star Wars fan basically all my life but never really read any of the books. Thought I'd change that, so a couple weeks ago I bought two comics (Han Solo and Obi-Wan & Anakin) and two novels. Finished the comics and, as I said, finishing up the first novel. Not regretting it at all! :grin:

I never delved into SW books either until recently. I have a few, most of which I haven't read-Catalyst being one of them. But the ones I have read- Revan & Aftermath- I have enjoyed. 

If you guys were fans of The Clone Wars, then Dark Disciple is a must-read. Stay far away from spoilers, too, as there's a lot that goes down in the book.

My personal favorite books in the new Star Wars canon have actually been the Young Adult titles (Lost Stars especially, and Rebel Rising was fantastic and brutal).

My absolute least favorite was Kevin Hearne's Heir to the Jedi...I recommend staying far away from that one. :sick:

Edited by The_Chosen_1

On 8/4/2017 at 3:28 PM, The_Chosen_1 said:

If you guys were fans of The Clone Wars, then Dark Disciple is a must-read. Stay far away from spoilers, too, as there's a lot that goes down in the book.

My personal favorite books in the new Star Wars canon have actually been the Young Adult titles (Lost Stars especially, and Rebel Rising was fantastic and brutal).

My absolute least favorite was Kevin Hearne's Heir to the Jedi...I recommend staying far away from that one. :sick:

Good to hear about Dark Disciple...I own it and it's on my list. But it keeps getting pushed down because other books I buy. Maybe I'll have to give it a bump. 

Now I'm reading Energy: A Beginner's Guide by Václav Smil. The book begins with an explanation of what energy is and then proceeds to more complex things, such as conservation of energy problems, the search for efficient and environmentally friendly fuels. There also addressed interesting questions related to the manufacturing in general and climate change.

Edited by rooftop

I'm reading Star Wars, Aftermath, and its great! It gives you a lot more on what happened after Return of the Jedi.

Brick by Brick: How Lego Rewrote the Rules of Innovation And Conquered the Global Toy Industry, by David C. Robertson and Bill Breen

Educated, by Tara Westover

Started reading some of the more classic books including the Count of Monte Cristo and now moved on to the Three Musketeers.

Both are great books and the plots are quite interesting.

I've been trying to work through all the works of Willa Cather this year, and it started out ok, but the last 4-5 weeks have been slow going. Currently reading The Song of the Lark. 

I liked Educated. Not a happy reading experience, but a good one.

Unfortunately my reading time has fallen off a cliff the last two months :pir-murder: I'm currently reading Brick by Brick for the second time. I wish I could read books like this from other periods of Lego's history. 

"Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. I've read a lot of King's works, and this type is my favorite of his one-off's. Much more character driven rather than events or horror. Not sure where it'll take me but I'm enjoying the journey.

Winds of Winter. Just kidding, even if it comes out before GRRM dies there's no way he won't die before the last book is released. Too bad, it's my favorite book series.

Just read "Lord of the Clans" which is a Warcraft book. Most of Warcraft's story after WoW came out is terrible but this Warcraft book is stand-out.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:54 AM, BrickG said:

Winds of Winter. Just kidding, even if it comes out before GRRM dies there's no way he won't die before the last book is released. Too bad, it's my favorite book series.

Just read "Lord of the Clans" which is a Warcraft book. Most of Warcraft's story after WoW came out is terrible but this Warcraft book is stand-out.

I thought the book about Arthas was pretty good.  I'm reading the Stormlight chronicles really liking it so far only on the first book now.  

For UK based readers, I just found this weighty tome in the Leeds branch of WHSmiths for a good price.

!                                                                                                                                    s-l500