Blue_Bird

What are you reading?

Just finished reading Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, a nouvelle that inspired H.P Lovecraft's interdimensionnal horror style. 

I highly recommend it. 

I also tried reading ''The turn of the screw'' but I was utterly bored by it.

Dune is a serie that keeps crawling on the pile of books I want to read, I guess that there is enough space now that I completly ditched the LOTR books.

Edited by RetroInferno

On November 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM, RetroInferno said:

Just finished reading Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, a nouvelle that inspired H.P Lovecraft's interdimensionnal horror style. 

I highly recommend it. 

I also tried reading ''The turn of the screw'' but I was utterly bored by it.

Dune is a serie that keeps crawling on the pile of books I want to read, I guess that there is enough space now that I completly ditched the LOTR books.

I also have shelved LotR. I made it about halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring...I don't know if it's that it's just nor as exciting because I've seen the movies a bunch so I know what's going to happen or what. I do want to read them as I haven't yet, but for whatever reason, I just kind of lost interest. 

Hi guys, wasn't sure where to post this but this looks like a good start. Over the last few years we've been busy putting together a 3D art comic. The first two issues are available now on Amazon sites across the world.

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Gods-Medusa-Issue-1-ebook/dp/B01MAWJRWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479632030&sr=8-2&keywords=Twilight+of+the+gods+medusa

It's not Lego related and is aimed at a slightly more mature audience than young kids but if anyone would like to check it out that would be terrific! 

Also if anyone would like to head over to our Facebook page and help us spread the word about it it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://business.facebook.com/Digital-Mythica-1774077679543837/?business_id=1815287422089529&ref=bookmarks

The Talented Mr. Ripley.

This book is amazing and I love it, but it's giving me a lot of anxiety due to the main character's actions. It's stressful :wacko:

Just bought Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. They're apart of the Thrawn Duology, a sequel series to the  Thrawn Trilogy set tears lated and I can't wait to read.

So all in all the Thrawn series is five books in total. unless you count the prequels books like Outbound Flight. I dont know if i'll go that far yet.

On 20/11/2016 at 1:08 AM, Vindicare said:

I also have shelved LotR. I made it about halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring...I don't know if it's that it's just nor as exciting because I've seen the movies a bunch so I know what's going to happen or what. I do want to read them as I haven't yet, but for whatever reason, I just kind of lost interest. 

I was bored by Tolkien's writing style at some point, I don't usually mind over elaborated style, heck I was able to get through the Silmarion ( not drunk, but that book is shite ), but the descriptions simply never ends! 

I get that Tolkien was writting this as some sort of escape from his experience from the great war but some stuff was plain stupid, ex: charging a spear wall head on with cavalry successfully. 

Anyone red a Song of Ice and Fire? And what did you think of them? Personally the first 3 books were highly addicting, some of the best stuff I red, the first half of the fourth one was meh while the second half was great and I couldn't care much for a Dance with Dragons ( the focused characters are fan favorites but their story arcs were soo lame ). 

I'm becoming a fan of Michael Connelly's novels - first got hooked by the Bosch TV series, and that led to reading Echo Park and City of Bones. The Harry Bosch character is intriguing. I found the books are an easy read and quick to get through, although I may be biased! :laugh:

On 1/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, RetroInferno said:

I was bored by Tolkien's writing style at some point, I don't usually mind over elaborated style, heck I was able to get through the Silmarion ( not drunk, but that book is shite ), but the descriptions simply never ends! 

I get that Tolkien was writting this as some sort of escape from his experience from the great war but some stuff was plain stupid, ex: charging a spear wall head on with cavalry successfully. 

Anyone red a Song of Ice and Fire? And what did you think of them? Personally the first 3 books were highly addicting, some of the best stuff I red, the first half of the fourth one was meh while the second half was great and I couldn't care much for a Dance with Dragons ( the focused characters are fan favorites but their story arcs were soo lame ). 

Oh dear. I've wanted to start on LotR for ages, but this might put me off. I think I've been subconsciously afraid of over elaborated writing styles! 
I've not even considered reading anything by George R. R. Martin yet.

I certainly wouldn't be afraid of reading Tolkien. Just know that you have to take your time when you read that stuff.

Right now I've started Even the wicked by Lawrence Block and Dodgers by Bill Beverly. Not to mention a mountain of comics I've yet to crack.. 

I'm in the middle of the Hungry Cities series by Philip Reeve. I have only read the first two (Mortal Engines and Predator's Gold). I was going to stop by the library today for the third, but forgot it was Saturday and they close early. Bummer.

They are pretty good, so far. Like a less pretentious version of the Golden Compass series minus fantasy plus dystopia plus steam without being full-on steampunk. It has its share of plot holes, but nothing that can't be easily overlooked; the only real eye-roller is how every character has some implausibly coincidental connection to another. But, overall, the author keeps up a pretty good pace in the narrative with enough interesting ideas and action that I'm hooked to read the last two.

Edited by rodiziorobs
for formatting

About to start "Vagrant", by Peter Newman, re-read to get myself familiar before I start its sequel, "Malice."

Edited by Vindicare

War 40k novels.  And not the decent ones.  Definitely not the decent ones.  I hate everything and pray for the cleansing flames of nuclear annihilation

On 5/25/2017 at 2:24 PM, Space Police XVIII said:

War 40k novels.  And not the decent ones.  Definitely not the decent ones.  I hate everything and pray for the cleansing flames of nuclear annihilation

Nice-the book choices, not the nuclear annihilation. What are some of your favorites? I read all Space Marine books, with a Tau one thrown in. I love the Space Wolves series'.

21 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Nice-the book choices, not the nuclear annihilation. What are some of your favorites? I read all Space Marine books, with a Tau one thrown in. I love the Space Wolves series'.

So far I've liked everything by Dan Abnett - especially the Inquisition books - and Sandy Mitchell's Cain series.  I need to catch up on those...

I'll keep the Space Wolves in mind.  Though the 1d4chan description might've colored my impression of them a little bit. Any recommendations for Tau?

37 minutes ago, Space Police XVIII said:

So far I've liked everything by Dan Abnett - especially the Inquisition books - and Sandy Mitchell's Cain series.  I need to catch up on those...

I'll keep the Space Wolves in mind.  Though the 1d4chan description might've colored my impression of them a little bit. Any recommendations for Tau?

The only Tau book I have is "Fire Warrior." I bought because I enjoyed the game back in the PlayStation 2 days. It was a fun read. 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:58 PM, rodiziorobs said:

I'm in the middle of the Hungry Cities series by Philip Reeve.

Finished the third book, Infernal Devices. It's kind of a drag compared to the first two, but it ends with practically zero resolution, so I'm bound to read the fourth, which I will probably pick up this week.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I started reading S.P.Q.R by Mary Beard, the story of rome and how we learned about it is truly fascinating, the writer also goes ways to search for the various perspectives of the events without ever going into what people may thought or could have done, or passing judgement. 

Highly professionnal and a damn good read.

Waking Gods by Sylvan Neuvel. A cool story about giant alien robots. Been a while since I read the first book(Sleeping Giants) so I don't remember specifics...but this sequel is so far, so good. 

I'm currently sifting through both the Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide and several adventure modules, including Pathfinder's Skull and Shackle Adventure Path as I prepare a pirate themed campaign for my group. It needs stats for eighteenth century firearms, cannons, as well as ship combat rules, and various adventures to lace throughout the world. Ho boy.

... Hey, it's reading! :grin:

Reading "Ready Player One" again, thanks to the SDCC trailer. As a side note...I'm intrigued to see the new quests/jet added for the movie...and Spielberg's reason for doing so. I'm excited.