Blue_Bird

What are you reading?

Morning Star

Third book in the Red Rising series. I highly recommend the series. At its base, its your usual revenge for a death plot, but the story that envelopes it is fantastic.

Brick by Brick by David Robertson - an insightful look into The Lego Group business and how products have been developed, some failed, and some that helped save the company. A recommended read!

World War Z by Max Brooks - been wanting to read this for a while, have already seen the movie though, I understand they are quite different

Edited by slopemodified

"The Only Pirate at the Party" by Lindsey Stirling

"A Song of Ice and Fire" (book 1) by George R.R. Martin

I'm reading lots and lots of journal papers about Alaska and British Columbia glaciers. No time for books.

I'm reading "Scalded to death by the Steam". It's a historical look at the folk railroad songs (Wreck of Old 97 anyone?) of the 1800's / early 1900's, which were based in actual events and as such tells the story from the beginning before the wreck to the song's composure later on. The wreck in question actually happened in 1903 to Southern Railway passenger / mail train #97 as it jumped a trestle at high speed in rural Virginia due to pressure to maintain the very strict timetable and avoid paying a substantial monetary fee on every minute the US mail was late.

Anyway, it a neat book with words and music to all of the songs, including the Brave Engineer. (That's Casey Jones' song about the Illinois Central train that about twenty years later was named the City of New Orleans, which has it's own song by itself from the 1960's.)

Side note: one of the 1920's wrecks aftermath / carnage was recorded by camera men and is view-able on a DVD I own. (I forget which of them it's on) The wreck was written into the song "The Wreck of the Sportsman" and is mentioned in this book.

(sorry for the long rambling post, I'm just tired and need some sleep!)

I want to continue reading my massive Wesleyan Anthology of Sci Fi. I should bring it to work to read on my breaks.

I've been listening to audiobooks lately at work because I often get to spend hours alone, bored. I listened to Peter Pan and White Fang so far, the latter was much more intense than I expected - I thought it was written for kids. Nope! Certainly not kids from this generation anyways.

If anyone is interested in reading/listening to free books in the public domain check out LibriVox for audiobooks, and Project Gutenberg for written works.

Ready Player One, Ernest Cline. A VR MMORPG :tongue: story. It's the quest of all quests story. Lots of 80's movie, TV, video game references. :thumbup:

Just finished The Lost World (Arthur Conan Doyle). Picked up 'The Flight of the Silvers' out of a bargain pile. So far I hate all the characters and the writing style is a little bland.

The Princess and the Queen by George R.R. Martin. Great short read for anyone who's really into ASOIAF.

Rereading Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss. Great start to a trilogy of post-Halo 3 books for anyone who's really into the series' universe.

Henry Lawson - Australian Stories. Wonderful short stories about real life in Australia in 19th century. Great characters, excellent meta-text. Huge writer.

The Three-Body Problem. A pretty intense Chinese political/sci-fi puzzle novel. Unfortunately as it goes on it becomes more and more Crichton-esque--meaning the scientific concepts are engaging (maybe a little dry), but the characters are disappointingly two-dimensional. Still recommended.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Rereading Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss. Great start to a trilogy of post-Halo 3 books for anyone who's really into the series' universe.

Awww Karen Traviss...Republic Commando still remains my favorite Swar Wars Novel series

Star Wars: Dark Disciple. It's based off of an unproduced series of Clone Wars scripts... the amount of extra text telling us who the characters are really shows that. Interesting story, though, even if the writing isn't great.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization. A pretty good novel adaptation of the movie, but some of the extra dialogues in the books is a little bit unnecessary in my opinion.

Jean Delumeau - La Peur en Occident ( XIVe - XVIIIe siecles ) Une Cite Assiegee. A beautiful hystorical work about the roots of anxiety in western civilization.