Lawngnome

[WIP MOD] 75105 Falcon

Just came across this thread and it is amazing I love the edits. Have you considered making a somewhat more movie accurate interior?

Just came across this thread and it is amazing I love the edits. Have you considered making a somewhat more movie accurate interior?

Work in progress!

In the mean time here is a composite side by side from the top, with an unadulterated 7965:

1F617FA8-A010-4360-BCEF-1123FA7F80F3.png_zpshgkoukmr.jpeg

Looking at the latest images compared to the LXF on the first page I feel like I have missed something as the LXF has more greebling (which I love) and the other with better paneling.

Looking at the latest images compared to the LXF on the first page I feel like I have missed something as the LXF has more greebling (which I love) and the other with better paneling.

The LXF is mine, while most of the actual photos (especially depicting the modded paneling) are from entirely different people. I do recommend using the various photos of the physical mods for reference to get rid of the gaps, as LDD has limitations with what it lets you do and the arrangement I used for the wedges in the LXF is not necessarily accurate even to my own version of the physical build. But I'm glad you liked the greebling nonetheless. :classic:

So I finally decided to give the modification a try in addition to countless minor changes. I am really happy with the result.

I hope those pictures will help other people to decide to do this kind of modification and if its worth it. I probably used around 250 pieces in total compared to the original.

I would say it is worth it as long as you dont need to pay too much for the parts, especially the 4 x 2 Wedge Plates (I had to buy them for 50 cents PER piece, resulting in 18 Euro just for the Wedges alone).

Regarding possible pressure on the pizza slices because they are thicker and closer together: There is little pressure on the ones that connect to the espace pods on both sides, but I dont think its much of a big deal. The parts are not bending.

img_6734.jpg

img_6741.jpg

And the original for comparison:

img_6304.jpg

img_6308.jpg

Edited by BigEl

So I finally decided to give the modification a try in addition to countless minor changes.

I think you've gone a bit overboard with the red tiles, but apart from that it is looking good.

This may sound stupid, but how do I reply to posts?

Click the "Quote" button on the post you want to reply to.

Some great mods here, tempted to have a go at mine... need to work out how many wedge plates I've got spare :)

So I finally decided to give the modification a try in addition to countless minor changes. I am really happy with the result.

I hope those pictures will help other people to decide to do this kind of modification and if its worth it. I probably used around 250 pieces in total compared to the original.

I would say it is worth it as long as you dont need to pay too much for the parts, especially the 4 x 2 Wedge Plates (I had to buy them for 50 cents PER piece, resulting in 18 Euro just for the Wedges alone).

Regarding possible pressure on the pizza slices because they are thicker and closer together: There is little pressure on the ones that connect to the espace pods on both sides, but I dont think its much of a big deal. The parts are not bending.

Got all the wedges for 12,50 €, now I need to check how much of the other parts I need...I am afraid that I don't have that many grey parts left.

Did you use the lxf to MOD your Falcon? I am not sure how to get some of the slices right from pics only :blush:

Nope, I mainly used the picture from Dameronian below.

For the underside of the slices you actually just need two different kinds of build and you can see both of them very clear (they are pretty basic but effective), the one with the communication dish will be repeated 3 times (8 Studs long), the others are the 7 stud long versions (the only difference is that you need to build some of them in reverse, but the structure is still the same).

It confused me a bit at the beginning, but once you built the first two or three the rest go pretty fast. Overall it goes together pretty well and you can still adjust the construction to your liking.

E7B593E2-7DC1-424A-8BBA-6056D06C37CB_zps7goxgtlj.jpg

Edited by BigEl

Every time I see one of these mods I wonder why Lego doesn't make it like this in the first place. Does it drastically increase the piece count? Are some of the slices too snug and therefore out of spec for what Lego considers "legal"?

Well some of the 4 x 2 Wedges are not really safe and securely build into the slices. The original build has wider gaps but is a lot more sturdy since the slices construction is mainly 5 parts with 2 big wedge plates each.

It does increase the part count aswell, but the main problem for Lego would probably be the lesser durability.

Click the "Quote" button on the post you want to reply to.

Some great mods here, tempted to have a go at mine... need to work out how many wedge plates I've got spare :)

Thanks.

The original build has wider gaps but is a lot more sturdy since the slices construction is mainly 5 parts with 2 big wedge plates each.

It does increase the part count aswell, but the main problem for Lego would probably be the lesser durability.

I can live with the slightly lesser durability...lol...here's my personal swooshability test:

A73808A1-E391-4D2B-B4E3-E148015E846F_zpsxf2qykv1.jpg

Yes the mod adds 200-250 parts indeed

Edited by Dameronian

Every time I see one of these mods I wonder why Lego doesn't make it like this in the first place. Does it drastically increase the piece count? Are some of the slices too snug and therefore out of spec for what Lego considers "legal"?

+200 pieces I'd say is fairly significant and would bump the price point over $149.99. It's almost 20% of the existing bricks

img_6734.jpg

img_6741.jpg

And the original for comparison:

img_6304.jpg

img_6308.jpg

Very nice looking, could lose a few red tiles, and have you changed the interior? If so, can we see it?

Having made the change to the wedges and tested it on my 5 year old son, I can say it is sturdy enough so the reason has to be down to cost. Also children (the target market for this set) are are lot less sensitive to things like gaps in the hull than we are as adults, so to them it doesn't really matter.

Edited by TheBear

Here's my quick and dirty and mostly ILLEGAL stab at a better organized interior with nothing more than a few grey plates, most 4 studs wide, of various length. Nothing more.

I've done a quick square version of the circular corridor around the gun turrets and put the lounge area, sleeping quarters and main cargo holds very approximately in their correct position, plus a closed "engine compartment".

Two extra pics show better cockpit consoles and a quick and easy way to fill the dreaded "mandible gap".

2B42268D-F0F7-41DE-96DF-F76253987B71_zpswh6nzyjp.jpg

416F1D14-0175-426A-9531-765041799D2D_zpsug0drfmu.jpg

E32093BE-A4E9-4A9C-A301-D2F200F60A19_zps8kordala.jpg

01ACB6E8-0F4C-4745-B9B6-C028350D43FE_zpsgrtnrs3a.jpg

52AF903A-D6C3-4036-8865-38A1B197158E_zps3p6n7mjv.jpg

5910A174-6726-4871-80EE-F25AC52354C9_zps481zbcjh.jpg

CECED130-95DB-47A5-B877-F5E05175AA95_zpslrl8cqqs.jpg

Very nice looking, could lose a few red tiles, and have you changed the interior? If so, can we see it?

You are right. The Red Tiles were a bit all over the place. Did some changes to make the amount and position of the red tiles way more accurate (still not perfect but as close as I get) and also tweaked the overall greebling a bit. Now for anyone who wonders about the greebling design, I just took what I had left and went nuts with most of it. Thats the good thing about the MF, since its supposed to look like a garbage can, you cant go wrong too much with greebling :laugh:

As to the interior. I did change some things, added some details and stuffed it out a little bit, but not enough to be worth making a picture off and showing it.

si473zdk.jpg

@Dameronian

Hey, I really like what you did for the transition of the left mandible towards the main hull. Thats a pretty tricky spot to get proper without completely reworking the mandible and the hull.

I tried a different approach but I think yours is a lot better since it looks way more integrated :wink:

You are right. The Red Tiles were a bit all over the place. Did some changes to make the amount and position of the red tiles way more accurate (still not perfect but as close as I get) and also tweaked the overall greebling a bit. Now for anyone who wonders about the greebling design, I just took what I had left and went nuts with most of it. Thats the good thing about the MF, since its supposed to look like a garbage can, you cant go wrong too much with greebling :laugh:

As to the interior. I did change some things, added some details and stuffed it out a little bit, but not enough to be worth making a picture off and showing it.

si473zdk.jpg

@Dameronian

Hey, I really like what you did for the transition of the left mandible towards the main hull. Thats a pretty tricky spot to get proper without completely reworking the mandible and the hull.

I tried a different approach but I think yours is a lot better since it looks way more integrated :wink:

Much improved. I might post pictures of mine soon.

Even if the interior is as horrible as you say, can we still take a look?

Just finished my MOD, too. Really happy how it turned out and that I actually had enough spare grey parts to get it together. I really kept everything like the official build except some minor details and it's awesome!

Can someone help me on links or article numbers for the 2x4 wedge plates? I'm just can't seem to find them on bricklink(also new for me, but my search results only have 3x6 or bigger)...

And do I need dark blueish grey or Light blueish grey?

Edit: Found it, had to reverse numbers..

Edited by FF4266