Lawngnome

[WIP MOD] 75105 Falcon

Here's one possible way to cover the entire top of the saucer near-seamlessly:

The grey parts can be left as is, and the arrangement should work exactly the same with the original model (so feel free to ignore the extra greebles). Because of LDD limitations, this is definitely not the optimal layout, but still a decent and easy to figure out starting point. I'll still need to swap a couple of the 3x12s around in order to widen two of the "holes" in the plating, for example, but I'll only do that when I get back to the physical model. Not going to waste any more time micromanaging hundreths of a degree with the angle of each individual wedge in LDD... :hmpf_bad:

Edit: Come to think of it, the pieces to the right of the cockpit passageway might need adjusting with the original, but it should be possible to simply mirror the left side as it sits at a 45-degree angle. Also, there's obviously support needed for most of the smaller pieces, but expanding the single layer of plates already underneath and/or adding some greebling on top ought to take care of that.

Now that i've done the 2x4 wedge mod Lawngnome, I think the little "edge" you have with the 2x2 L plates in the segments that rest against the escape pods, will be somewhat problematic (a limitation in LDD). Three 2x4 wedges work nicely.

Edited by Dameronian

Thanks for the advice and photos, Dameronian, that saves a lot of trouble fiddling with the parts (and a few L-plates).

Ooooh, can't wait to get the rest of the wedges I need, hopefully still before the holidays. :sweet:

Is that all it really took to achieve the "filled in" look as Dameronian mentioned...36 2x4 wedges (18L, 18R)?

For the wedges yes.

To fill in the space between the wedges on top, you need some 1x4, 1x8, 2x4 plates and a support plate structure underneath with 2x6, 2x3 and 1x4 plates, there is some freedom on the underside to use whatever you have obviously. Finally, you now have 3 segments that are 8 studs wide at their base and 6 that are 7 studs wide, and you need to lengthen the tile at the base a bit.

467C7E15-F772-45CD-BE11-18ACBC674297_zpsgiqt5m99.jpg

E7B593E2-7DC1-424A-8BBA-6056D06C37CB_zps7goxgtlj.jpg

Edited by Dameronian

By the way, trying to make the underside of the 75105/7965 look good is an exercise in futility IMO....that's what discouraged me from going for more intricate/accurate retractable landing gear than a simple swiveling 5 strut setup...

410520FD-06EA-4E9C-AB48-F9E5055BA2CC_zpshz7ggi6i.jpg

C9612AD0-9A37-4F9A-B1BF-BA8D744A714E_zpsov0b2jct.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Final clean up of the underside, no real attempt to add details, just to smooth it out:

F94D19E8-3D8D-48F4-AC65-DA2A8A8721F9_zpsvnkujy8f.jpg

60CD0A20-B711-491C-B972-E51345BC9405_zpsflsvcyig.jpg

Edited by Dameronian

Nice. To be honest I think you've pretty much reached the limit of accuracy in terms of modifying the set without completely rebuilding the whole thing. The way it's built just doesn't allow you to make a properly proportioned model. As I said though the changes you've made are excellent and really improve the set.

Just found this thread!

I so going to do this to my Millenium Falcon, looks so much better.

modding this Falcon will be fun.

Thx for the great info!

I love these ideas! Just got and put together 75105 last night. I was already going to Bricklink some light grey pieces to replace the dark grey ones on top, but now I think I'll do the mod to close up the gaps. Any ideas for making a round radar dish, OT Falcon style?

It is relatively easy to fix the gaps between the wedges, you can alternate 2x4 wedges and 3x12 wedges to have a near perfect fit. It's almost like it's designed to do just that. You could probably do the same with 7965 since they're so similiar.

[edit]

pic for clarification

sncx3l.jpg

Dude that falcon

I love these ideas! Just got and put together 75105 last night. I was already going to Bricklink some light grey pieces to replace the dark grey ones on top, but now I think I'll do the mod to close up the gaps. Any ideas for making a round radar dish, OT Falcon style?

A 6x6 dish with a pair of 1x2 jumper plates at the back fits the 75105 assembly without any other modifications needed. Optionally, you can use a "webbed" 6x6 dish and/or a stud or a cylinder brick on the main dish for added detail.

Also, just a heads-up on filling in the gaps with modded plating, the fit on the physical model can be very tight, so be aware that it may take some further modification to avoid some pieces being under constant stress (or if someone got their mods to fit without issues, I'd appreciate an LDD file on the structure!). Personally, I left the edges next to the boarding tubes unmodified and instead filled in the gaps by widening the regular build underneath. Now I just need to get my hands on a proper camera again to get some clear pictures. :blush:

Also, just a heads-up on filling in the gaps with modded plating, the fit on the physical model can be very tight, so be aware that it may take some further modification to avoid some pieces being under constant stress (or if someone got their mods to fit without issues, I'd appreciate an LDD file on the structure!). Personally, I left the edges next to the boarding tubes unmodified and instead filled in the gaps by widening the regular build underneath.

Just leave them raised slightly higher than before and they fit just fine.

Great stuff! I love what you did with 75101 and would love to integrate some of your ideas into my custom falcon, if you don't mind of course? Thanks for the LDD file! Cheers!

Excellent work. :)

I've modified the landing gear on my set in LDD, also tried to recreate some form of docking ring, as I think it's a bit lacking from TLG. :/

It's still a WIP.

FalconLandingGear.png

Lawngnome's MOD (awesome work) inspired me to make some minor changes to the interior of my MF. I'll post some more pics in daylight tomorrow.

Ea47Poj.jpg

OP, if I may post again in this thread so as not to create too many separate 75105 threads.

I've taken inspiration from a lot of posts here, as well as from the threads of vseanv and hachiroku, to mainly get the underside of the minifig scale MF upgraded, now that the earlier 2x4 wedge plate mod has done so much for the top.

What I've basically done is use the same hinge principle as for the top segments to add a certain amount of disc shape to the bottom, without making the fuselage any taller/thicker (which easily occurs when attempting to work on the underside), and while retaining the retractable 5 strut landing gear. I'm also using extra greebling sparingly.

*EDITED PICS*, minor changes to make the underside segments fit flatter and tighter to the fuselage.

354C4497-8370-4074-8D5D-862095044252_zpsks9vna7t.jpg

4786575A-DE30-4D25-AD1B-C195896C64B2_zpskfifiahw.jpg

14905106-3FAA-4C3D-B0CF-99D94137343F_zpsoesvtiq3.jpg

D32D83BF-03BE-46E3-8EBE-88C2E5FBFD7E_zpsfhddnsop.jpg

1B4AF49E-E7B1-4BF8-9CFB-00B813E91450_zpseohku6ux.jpg

B7CC9A9A-63C1-4DF7-A8BE-CBDD680F8197_zpskfrqstk0.jpg

A72458E7-E889-4A2D-B0C1-C432ACAE3387_zps9jjnuolo.jpg

474488B1-9F9C-478F-A1F2-A2154B20B160_zps7zxe2s5x.jpg

Edited by Dameronian

I like it! I still need to upgrade mine soon.

Debating if I want to do this still or the mini MF style in another point (having it look more like the UCS).

you need some 1x4, 1x8, 2x4 plates and a support plate structure underneath with 2x6, 2x3 and 1x4 plates,

mind telling me how many you need. thinking about ordering some.

mind telling me how many you need. thinking about ordering some.

There are options, but this is one way:

6 segments require the following EACH:

Top side:

1 1x8 plate

1 1x4 plate

1 1x4 tile

1 1x3 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

1 1x4 plate

2 2x4 plate

1 2x3 plate

1 1x3 plate

3 segments require the following EACH:

Top side:

1 2x4 plate

1 4x4 plate

1 1x 8 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

4 1x4 plate

2 2x6 plate

1 4x6 plate

Plus, of course, 18 R, 18 L 2x4 wedge plates, bluish gray.

Wow, thanks for a full list. Might be doing it now myself, was just too lazy to plan it out :laugh:

You listed the necessary parts for 9 of the segments, but its 12 in total (I counted them again to be sure :grin: ), so I guess 3 of the segments can remain unmodified?

Wow, thanks for a full list. Might be doing it now myself, was just too lazy to plan it out :laugh:

You listed the necessary parts for 9 of the segments, but its 12 in total (I counted them again to be sure :grin: ), so I guess 3 of the segments can remain unmodified?

Correct, i left the 3 segments atop the engines unmodified.

Top side:

1 1x8 plate

1 1x4 plate

1 1x4 tile

1 1x3 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

1 1x4 plate

2 2x4 plate

1 2x3 plate

1 1x3 plate

Top side:

1 2x4 plate

1 4x4 plate

1 1x 8 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

4 1x4 plate

2 2x6 plate

1 4x6 plate

thank you

Wow, just stumbled across this thread and I LOVE IT. Thanks for the mods to get rid of the gaps between all those roof parts. I will definitely mod this, too - just ordered the 36 2 x 4 plates off bricklink. Thank you also for the detailed explanation for the other parts needed, Dameronian. And, of course, for all the other impressions and the opedened thread :classic:

Top side:

1 1x8 plate

1 1x4 plate

1 1x4 tile

1 1x3 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

1 1x4 plate

2 2x4 plate

1 2x3 plate

1 1x3 plate

Top side:

1 2x4 plate

1 4x4 plate

1 1x 8 tile

Bluish gray.

Underside:

4 1x4 plate

2 2x6 plate

1 4x6 plate

one more thing. can i get a birds eye view of the roof?