dmaclego

[MOC] Yet another UCS AT-AT

Finally I'm getting to the point - I believe there could very well be an UCS AT-AT set, but the size would have to be much smaller than all these giants. I think about 150% of playset scale could work.

but 150% is already the correct "minifig scale", no?

It should indeed be 150% in scale, however detailing it would probably make it 200% or 300% heavier, I believe.

-this said-, an UCS AT-AT wouldn't be designed for kids, and Lego wouldn't need the crazy amount of technic beams to make it rock solid. It should go from very strong at the bottom to very light at the top.

Edited by anothergol

^ Well my rough estimation is that these big custom AT-ATs (which are supposed to be minifig scale) are about twice as tall as playset versions. So the size I'm proposing would be somewhere between these two. Perhaps even a bit closer to the playset - the percentage I threw in was also more of a guess :)

...Durability and safety are paramount here. With all due respect to Cavegod and other builders (including me ;) ), our AT-ATs are nightmares in terms of assembly process and durability. You need four hands to assembly mine, for instance (I'm talking about attaching the legs and head to the body). This is way, way beyond LEGO standards. Then you have a plethora of "illegal" building techniques, which are just not accepted by the LEGO Group (I won't even start on that but believe me that LEGO designers must stick to very rigid rules, one of them being as ridiculous as "expose at least some studs whenever you can, because this is LEGO and LEGO is all about studs"). About stability: remember UCS Imperial Shuttle 10212 and how some builders criticized the detachable landing gear?....

Surely to resolve all these issues associated with a large commercial release of a UCS ATAT all that's needed is a stand to provide extra support? After all, a display model does nicely with a well designed display stand!

Surely to resolve all these issues associated with a large commercial release of a UCS ATAT all that's needed is a stand to provide extra support? After all, a display model does nicely with a well designed display stand!

A massive, fat, Technic-bricks-and-pins display stand, I'd say. And that only to improve durability of legs. Overall stability of such a tall construct, very heavy at the top, is a whole another story.

But I agree that if LEGO is about to issue a UCS AT-AT, it will come with a display stand.