dmaclego

[MOC] Yet another UCS AT-AT

Hello, fellow Eurobricks members,

I'v recently finished another step of my ultra-long term Endor Project - a minifig scale AT-AT model.

22732985008_2544032080_z.jpgCute little herd by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

More photos of the model: https://www.flickr.c...157659614931935

More photos of the entire Endor Project: https://www.flickr.c...157629127778577

The story is long and boring - beginning with my Lambda Shuttle model being used as prototype for UCS 10212 set - but if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer.

And since the first question (about my AT-AT) has already been posed by anothergol in another thread, here is a pic with description: https://www.flickr.c...57659614931935/

Enjoy!

Wow! I saw the video. Motorized neck (Vertical & Horizontal), the movement/shooting guns is damn cool! The best part is that you managed to get the legs support the weight of that beast.

Excellent build!

Staggeringly cool!!

There's one detail on the AT-AT that I'm curious about, cuz it looks perfect: The small holes on the sides of the main body armor seem to have old light grey plates directly below them. Was this an intentional use of the old grey to mimic staining down the sides?

...The story is long and boring - beginning with my Lambda Shuttle model being used as prototype for UCS 10212 set - but if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer...

Pfft...sir, you can dispense with the humble pleasantries - you have bragging rights! Projects of this scale are what most AFOLs daydream about creating some day (myself included). To see them realized in actual brick is nothing short of astonishing - I could browse that flickr page all day. Those Endor trees!!

Thank you for posting the links and references here!

Thank you very much, guys.

Was this an intentional use of the old grey to mimic staining down the sides?

Very much so. Obviously, the film models were much more "aged" but I could not achieve this effect on all LEGO parts and decided that my Endor AT-AT is slightly newer than those from Hoth and only has stains under those vents (old gray headlight bricks).

I'm glad you like the effect.

I think this is the AT-ST that pleases me the most visually so far, even though I haven't checked how accurate things are, it all seems to work together. I thought non-bended legs would only allow for a boring look, but the pose works for me too.

Funny how pretty different takes on the same model (LilmeFromDaFuture, La Chupacabra, Cavegod & all) all produce good results.

And since the first question (about my AT-AT) has already been posed by anothergol in another thread, here is a pic with description: https://www.flickr.c...57659614931935/

Pretty impressive that it works. Indeed, they don't even need to be attached. However I'm surprised that they haven't been crushed yet, especially since you have motors & all up there. I know there are 16 arch parts, but that must still be quite some weight on each.

Why did you use bars with hoses btw, pins weren't ok?

(where did you find bars 2L? Or did you mean a 61184?)

Edited by anothergol

Also piping in to say that, while the entire thing is amazing, that detail with using the old/yellowed grey bricks in that intentional way is simply fantastic. Caught my eye on one pic, then noticing how it was done in the others gave me a really big smile. :sweet:

The engineering of the ankles, as well, is just great. Bravo! :wub:

Thanks again.

where did you find bars 2L

And thanks for the third time for you just found a typo in my description :) . I meant bar 3L, of course, and the advantage it has over pins and axles is that when shoved inside a pneumatic hose, it sits very tightly and it was crucial to minimize the sideways movement.

About bending legs - my model has only one purpose: it's supposed to stand next to the Endor landing platform. So I asked myself a question: what is the optimal static position for the AT-AT? Standing on four vertical, straight legs means problems with braking and resuming march, very unnatural position. One leg in the air means less stability. Bent legs mean huge pressure on knee joints. So the only logical solution - if I were AT-AT's designer - would be to stop the machine mid-stride, on straight legs. And that's what i did.

this is the best UCS AT-AT I've ever seen. i wish LEGO would release something like this. would have no problem with a $500+ price point.

And thanks for the third time for you just found a typo in my description :) . I meant bar 3L, of course, and the advantage it has over pins and axles is that when shoved inside a pneumatic hose, it sits very tightly and it was crucial to minimize the sideways movement.

But is there really sideways movement?

(btw a bracket like 11215 might have worked there, it looks like the foot's front is in the same stud direction)

About bending legs - my model has only one purpose: it's supposed to stand next to the Endor landing platform.

and yet you motorized the head & guns :)

Edited by anothergol

Sure, there are several ways of fixing the arches to the foot but I just wanted more control: strong friction AND (at least theoretical) possibility of posing the foot (like tilting it slightly on a sqashed Ewok ;) ) . In the end it turned out unnecessary but I kept it because it's more true to the original than a fixed foot. And about the sideways movement: yes, there is some, since i did not fix to the floor of the hull those big "droplet" shaped parts that connect legs to the body. "Droplets" in my model could - again theoretically - move up and down as in the film. But the side effect of this (and of the model's huge weight) is that my AT-AT is somewhat "loose in the hips". Thus the importance of solid ankles.

I motorized the head because it is clearly seen moving in "Jedi", when the walker halts at the platform. And I motorized guns... just for kicks :D .

Edited by dmaclego

Yet another thread called 'yet another...'. Maybe a good time for having new afol abbreviation? :D

Just kidding. Perhaps trying to do jokes to fill the void because I can't describe how blown away I am with this. Even the AT-AT standalone was incredible but now seing your whole project... unbelievable. That Lambada shuttle... c'mon, I had no idea about that one before! This dwarfes most cool and huge projects I have seen before and certainly all my poor attempts for lego creations :D

Good luck on making more progress and I wish TLG will take inspiration another time (atatstyle) :D

...That Lambada shuttle... c'mon, I had no idea about that one before!

^^Ya, I knew that LEGOs 10212 was based off that MOC, but I had no idea about your v3.0!! Everything extends and retracts - even the main gear doors!!! All fitting nicely inside the hull - it's re-donk-ulous!! Do you have any pics of all those internal PF mechanisms? Unbelievable.

Thank you all. Indeed, bricklinking this model would be a pain - logistically and financially - but what is crucial is the fact that I don't plan to create MLCad plans for this one. It would be a staggering effort; I just don't have that much time.

Do you have any pics of all those internal PF mechanisms? Unbelievable.

Well, I have some, of course, but they are useless, because it usually goes according to this scheme of events:

1) Wow, I built a great mechanism! I must take a photo!

2) Oh crap, nice photo, but I can't build a hull around this mechanism - it's too big! Gotta start all over.

3) Wow, new version of the mechanism is even better! I must build a hull around it immediately to make sure it fits!

4) Yes, it fits! I must take a photo!

It's dumb but in the end all I get are photos of rejected mechanisms and photos of hull with good mechanisms hidden inside :) .

But if I ever do an overhaul of Lambda 3.0 or start building Lambda 4.0, I'll try to be smarter.

Very, Very nice! I'd be very interested to know you solved some of the stability issues. I have built Cavegods AT-AT and I do not think that it would stay up with a motorized neck. How did you build the legs? How do the ankles attach? Interior shots of the head to see the movement mechanisms?

Again, GREAT job and thanks for sharing!

Edited by ecmo47

Well, for the reason I described in my previous post, I don't think I have any better pictures of the interior than the three I've already published:

AT-AT foot

AT-AT - answering another question...

AT-AT - one more proof :)

Only about half of the thigh is reinforced with a long liftarm, hidden under tiles. The rest of the leg is more or less regular brick-on-brick build, which is delicate but has one advantage: huge mass of the hull is pressing the bricks together. So as long as you don't push or pull the model, it will stand on it's own safely.

Of course, my model is not particularly stable - and it cannot be, being so tall and having the center of the mass positioned near the top.

What makes moving head possible is that it is a glacially slow movement :) . I didn't try but I suppose if it were any faster, the model might collapse.

It's simply the best looking lego AT-AT I ever seen !

The size, the details and the motorization, awesome ! I especially love the moving guns !

Ramses25

Wow this is amazing!!! What has the next MOC AT-AT have to have to over top this one. Totally radio controlled with automatic doors and radio controlled minifigures

Hi dmaclego, thanks for sharing this, it's genuinely stunning! :wub: :wub: :wub:

The working chin-guns on the AT-AT remind me of the original Kenner toy from the 1980's (albeit in red, rather than transparent plastic!) and it brought back some great memories of my childhood. I had a look at the other photos in your flickr album yesterday and I was as equally impressed by the landing platform. It's an interesting method that you've used to construct the main supports, and one that uses a lot of parts, but the result is amongst the best that I've seen. I look forward to seeing more updates :classic: