Sign in to follow this  
Paperballpark

[MOD] Horizon Express - double PF in one cab

Tonight I've modified my Horizon Express, to fit two rechargable battery boxes, two IR receivers, and two motors into one cab. It's rather heavy now...

22860152750_ee2150dae6_c.jpg

23166331612_e6a41ee875_c.jpg

I do still need to put a #8869 Polarity Switch in there though, to get the motors running in the same direction. (I don't have one yet). It'll be a tight fit, but I'm pretty confident it'll go in.

I had to pretty much gut the interior of the train in order to fit everything in. Although the outside looks superficially similar, it's actually quite different in places. Can you spot the changes?

Edited by Paperballpark

That's one expensive train! :laugh: The only two I can spot is that the two white arrows are further apart and are longer. That's all I've got. I'd love to see how it runs compared to just one motor.

I've never ran it with one motor. I have two of the HEs, and I've heard that one motor really struggles to pull a double-length train, so I thought I'd just put two in and be done with it.

No other changes spotted? :wink:

Edited by Paperballpark

Neat. I've ran a double HE with one motor and it ran ok on level track with a long straight before the 90 deg curve. I replaced the Technic axle bogies with regular free rolling bogies on my HE which seemed to help.

I replaced the Technic axle bogies with regular free rolling bogies on my HE which seemed to help.

Thanks, I might do that for the rear cab.

Thanks, I might do that for the rear cab.

Yes, I was looking at that too, the technic axels seem to cause drag. Mineonly has one motor, but would like 2

Yeah, it's certainly pretty heavy now! I've been thinking of BLing a couple of extra carriages anyway. My train station dwarfs it, even though it's double length.

I run two motors, with a polarity switch, off of one battery and one IR receiver - works really well. Ive always been nervous about having multiple IR in 1 train just incase they receive mixed signals or one doesn't get the signal etc

You should try an S-brick to control both motors. Should save you a little space. Also since your planning on using it to run long trains, why dont you put one set of motors/controls in a second engine so you have a pusher?

I've placed two motors on the front car too but I've used only one battery box and one IR receiver ...I think is a better solution to avoid the de-synchronization of the engines and make the locomotive less heavy

The signal actually goes to both receivers very well - but then they are right next to each other! I've used two battery boxes to enable longer running at shows.

@ecmo47 I don't really see the point in having one set in a second engine, given i've managed to fit it all into one. Also, sbrick is expensive, especially as the IR receivers work fine as it is.

And as for making the train less heavy, well, heavy is good in this one, as it'll help a lot with traction.

Nice! It doesn't appear so but is it modded to be longer? As it looks it is. Might be because of the arrows.

I've used two battery boxes to enable longer running at shows.

Well that makes sense...I don't do shows- just home in the basement for the kids

I have two motors under each power car of a 10-car Horizon Express. I opened the motors up and swapped the wires over on one bogie for each power car to remove the need to have a polarity switch.