Sheepo

[MOC] Mercedes-Benz 300SL '54 "Gullwing"

I am here with my lastest car. I showed it in the LEGO World Utrecht 2015.

It is one of the most famous sports car in history, and the fastest production car on its time, the legendary Mercedes-Benz 300SL, usually called "Gullwing".

MB_300SL_01.JPG

It is built in scale 1/10.5. With a final size of 21x13x53 studs(17x10x42 cm).

The weght is 1.5Kgs, and has around 1500 parts

It is powered by 4 PF motors, 2 IR receivers and one PF lithium battery / AAA battery.

To get better soft curves I have used light grey pneumatic tube. But all of them have standard soft axle lengths: 7, 11, 12, 14, 16 and 19 studs, so if you are very purist and you don't want to cut pneumatic hoses you can use soft axles.

MB_300SL_10.JPG

The gullwing doors have lock. you need to push the little black part in the door to open it.

It has steering with working steering wheel (PF M motor).

MB_300SL_16.JPG

Unfortunately there are not enough space under the bonnet to add a 6L fake engine, so this time is a only a few plates to show where it must be.

The car is drive by a single PF XL motor, and the max speed is around 3kph(1.9mph).

MB_300SL_14.JPG

In the rear trunk is the battery.

Realistic suspension in both axles: double wishbone in the front and swing axle in the rear.

MB_300SL_25.JPG

Well, many people asked me about if the scale change from 1/8 to 1/10 will reduce the functions of my cars, and I told them that will not happen, I think this car is a good example.

Small size car doesn't mean poor functions, here the first proof: 4 speeds sequential gearbox.

In this car I release a whole new gearbox, 4th gen. It is very small and very very reliavable. In this car it doesn't include auto-stop function for gearbox motor (PF M motor), so you must stop the motor by yourself.

Of course it include speed indicator from the interior of the car.

MB_300SL_26.JPG

And the second proof: drum brakes in all wheels.

Yes, brakes like my other big cars. In this time to save some space I have used the interior side of the rim like the drum. Powered by a M motor.

MB_300SL_24.JPG

MB_300SL_20.JPG

MB_300SL_19.JPG

Finally a picture to show you the real size difference between this 1/10.5 scale car and one of my previous 1/8 cars.

MB_300SL_28.JPG

The complete video:

Enjoy!!

Woah, so much functions stuffed in such, I'd say, compact and beautiful body! And it has brakes!There are lots of things I still need to learn...

Great model with great functions! I like all the details like opening of gullwing doors, opening of the front hood, brakes and I like that it is RC suitable and not just another shelf model with unusable gearbox... It has proven that the scale 1:10 is probably best suitable for Lego... good compromise between size, space for details and weight what is important for RC... I like how gearbox shifts during drive...

Great work... nice design...

I'm curious for gearbox details... I must to make detailed check... ;)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Another great model man :) ive used more or less the same drum brake setup in my old lancia fulvia! Did u manage to add it to front wheels as well?

This is absolutely mind blowing, just wow!!

Bodywork isn't up my alley but technically it's beyond impressive.

Very good engineering as always.

But somehow that classcis car body doesn't match to technics.

So many functions packed in a small space! And some pretty details! I think you've outdone yourself! Great job!!

THanks for your comments!!

Another great model man :) ive used more or less the same drum brake setup in my old lancia fulvia! Did u manage to add it to front wheels as well?

It has brakes in all wheels, you can see it in the video at 1:25.

You have proved again that grey isn´t a boring colour at all :thumbup: . I wonder how those mechanics fit all together into this car and of course I´d like to study this gearbox!

What do you think personally - is it a step forward for you when moving to this scale concerning your personal "technical development"? Because I want to do the opposite for my next MOC and go 1:8 :wink:

Just amazing! The detail and realism is a real inspiration just like the other models. Building something this compact with all the PF elements so well hidden is a huge challenge. I personally have no problems with the hoses, and would happily use the same.

Ditto to what others have said..... also, I like the solution with the pneumatic tubing. Clever. I am surprised I have not seen that used in bodywork before. It is still Lego after all and soft axles, especially of certain lengths are getting so rare.....

What do you think personally - is it a step forward for you when moving to this scale concerning your personal "technical development"? Because I want to do the opposite for my next MOC and go 1:8 :wink:

Good question, I think the challenge to change to smaller scale is a big step forward. 1/8 scale has big options, mainly huge space for mechanism and functions, but has big problems too: you need tons of parts to do anything, the performance is very poor even if you use many motors because it is too big and heavy, just a few different wheels in the correct size...

I feel very comfortable in 1/10 just after two cars, I think I took the best decision.

I just love how you built the body, so many details and a remarkable use of u-joints, thanks a lot for the inspiration :)

While I am not a big friend of such body constructions (too disintegrated for my eyes), I understand the idea behind, and at the end You captured the bodywork really well.

Like the usage of the U-joints!

Technically... no words needed (I wish I could create such solutions...).

I hope, we can see that gearbox soon in details. :classic::thumbup:

Edited by agrof