Zoshi

Question about minifigure storage?

Hi! I've recently gotten back into Lego collecting, so I haven't really set up a good storage situation yet. I've been keeping most of my bricks/minifigures organized in plastic ziplock bags, but recently while going through my minfigures I noticed that one of my Poison Ivy (old variant) figures had a scratch on her lips. This could have been because most of my minifigures are played with, but I don't remember her being scratched before being in the bag… I'm wondering if keeping them in the bags will cause scratches/damage, or if the scratch is most likely from before? I have a couple large bags with 50-75 minifigures in each and so far haven't noticed any damage to any of my other figures (haven't been looking too hard though.) Could it simply be because it's an old figure? I've been trying not to move the bags too much after I found the scratch, but is there a better storage option? Keep in mind I'm a bit tight on money/space right now. :sceptic: Thanks!

I think its possible it was scratched from jostling, but wouldn't put it at a high likelihood given all figures are mixed with other parts when they're new in the box. But if you want to protect your figures more for a low price I'd recommend getting some small ziplock bags from a craft store or craft section of a department store. They should have one that is just about perfect for a minifigure. These are close, you can go a little bit smaller: http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Classics-Corp-491139-Ziplock-Polybags-2-inch-x-3-inch-120-Pkg/24922200 Maybe someone who sells on bricklink can point out what the exact right size is.

Yeah... I bought hundreds of small baggies from amazon (not too expensive) and generally keep them individually packed (along with their accessories).

I keep mine in containers..

Why baggies? Containers are bigger and more sturdy, more figs can fit in, and it's more neat and nice.

Well, then, let me clarify: each figure in it's own small baggie, the small baggies in a large sterilite drawer. Two reasons to separate them into their own baggies: they stay with their accessories, and they don't scratch each other. I even group them into larger baggies by type so that the ones I want are easier to find.

Edited by fred67

Unfortunately I'm worried storing them in containers would pose the same problem with them getting scratched by rubbing together, seems like individual bags will be my best option until I get enough space/money to display them.

I put the figures in small ziplock bags and then I put them standing inside these containers, standing up. I can fit ~120 figures per box. They do not get scratched because each has its own bag, and I can take out pretty much any one figure out of the box whenever I want, without having to remove all of the other figures. It helps that the box has what seems to me the ideal height for a minifigure box.

Well, an option is:

get a CMF box from any store. If you see that there are two or more boxes and one has few bags, place them on the other box, and ask the clerk to give you the box

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, I'll check these out and see what will work best for me :laugh:

I use tackle/craft boxes. For licensed minifigures, I have the minifigures in some compartments and the weapons/accessories in another compartment. Nearly all of these minifigures I never plan on selling, so I'm ok with them being sorted this way. For non-licensed minifigures, I also use tackle/craft boxes, but I have the compartments sorted by heads, torsos, legs, accessories, headgear, weapons, hair pieces, and food/dining parts. All of my minifigures I can research online to find their specific parts if I ever needed to part with them, but overall I like being able to use them as needed.

I should also add that these boxes keep them very well protected

Edited by Hawkman