Cjd223

Cavegod UCS AT-AT Instructions | "Walker Assault"

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I have not built it with a stand, but having a studded base will cancel the need for those tires (if you ask me).

That's what I'm figuring too. Tires to fit the size requirements are a pain and normally $5+ for each one, eliminating them all together when using a base would be great, but I may leave them in the manual with a warning in case someone decides not to build the base.

3 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

For those of you who have built the AT-AT with a stud stand:

Do you still use the tires in the feet? The tires are an unavoidable expensive part and I was wondering if perhaps using the stud base eliminates their need or not.

No tires needed. I used the square:)

A studded base, preferably a scenic one (doesn’t have to be a whole diorama but some snowy features, would be awesome!

Update for the week:

The parts list has been cross-checked with each step of the manual. As expected, there were errors with the upload that have since been fixed. The updated AT-AT rolls in at just over 6,900 pieces.

Currently I am fixing a few issues with a few of the pages and build. Once this is done I will be working on the base for the model. Thanks to @ecmo47 I was able to get an accurate location for the feet on a studded base.

After that will be the official test build, which if all goes well the completion of the test build will mark the immediate release of the updated manual!

I have a few surprises in store for the update, I'm very excited to show you all what has been a work in progress for the past few months. We're in the endgame now...

I am so happy to see this thread getting some action again!

I recently embarked on this Lego Star Wars prestige project and what a project it is!

After no success getting the thing to stand up, I reinforced the legs with the technic pieces mod and made a base plate to keep the feet from sliding, and behold, today was it's first succesful standup! You can see the proud smirk on my face but was also sweating it as it still seemed like the slightest bump would have it come crashing down! 

I took it back down again to see if I can do other things to make it more stable. The way the legs attach on the body seem very weak, and the long pins on the feet seem just a tad too long putting too much pressure on the ankles; I'm think I'm going to add 1 single plate height in the arches to mitigate that.

If anyone has any idea's how to increase the strength of the legs attachment I'm all ears :pir-blush:

By the way I also did the knee joint neck mod.

Very interested to see what other improvements you have come up with. This thing needs all the help it can get :grin:

EDIT: Finally done, sooo happy!! (changed attached picture) 

atat.jpg

Edited by a-base

3 hours ago, danielwerner said:

Any update yet? :) I'm excited!

Glad to hear that! Here is an update for everyone.

I'm currently wrapping up the base instructions. Once complete I just need to go through the entire manual, add in some additional graphics, and create a few extra pages.

I just finished tallying all of the parts and I'm all ready to go for the final-check build once I wrap up the manual. After I build it myself there's a few photo/video tasks to complete, but that should not take longer than a week.

I'm really excited to share the updated version with everyone, we're almost there! If I had to put an estimate on it I would say some point within 14-21 days from now I'll be sending out the emails to everyone who had previously purchased the plans along with updating the process for new purchases. I know I originally said late July-early August but a few extra things came up with the manual and other related projects, hold tight just a little longer.

Even though 8-wide trains are my focus now, I'm looking forward to see what changes you have made. I hope you included some trans-blue in the base to jazz it up a bit. 

On 8/7/2020 at 10:33 PM, Cjd223 said:

I'm really excited to share the updated version with everyone, we're almost there!

William-Shatner-Smiles-and-Nods-As-Capta

Here we go! All parts collected, manual is at the point where it can undergo its final checks.

50248470648_e1235df79f_k_d.jpg

Christian,

Are you going to provide pics of the build process, or are you just going to hit us with the completed product?

On 8/25/2020 at 8:46 AM, Redbird11 said:

Christian,

Are you going to provide pics of the build process, or are you just going to hit us with the completed product?

I'm going to be taking a ton of pictures throughout the build process, but expect to see them all when I complete everything and post everything.

I just wrapped up building the base and body, so far so good.

Update for everyone:

All sections are built and I'm getting ready to stand it on its legs. All of the mods so far have been GREAT! I'm able to pick up the body by the handle with the neck, head, and sides attached without any issues at all. I've brought this thing up and down flights of stairs with zero issues. The legs are definitely sturdier and will be put to the test very soon when I place the body on the legs.

The manual will certainly need a few adjustments, and there are a few extra mods that I want to go through with before the instructions are done. Mainly just to the roof sections, and to one portion of the base. Aside from that everything is going very smoothly, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how few adjustments are going to have to be made after finishing the build.

Sounds awesome! I'm curious: Is it mainly a rework to make the interiors more sturdy or is it also an updated look (like more recent pieces that fit better/are easier to get a hold of etc)?

6 hours ago, danielwerner said:

Sounds awesome! I'm curious: Is it mainly a rework to make the interiors more sturdy or is it also an updated look (like more recent pieces that fit better/are easier to get a hold of etc)?

Both. I went through the parts list and swapped out expensive ones the best I could. I also took MODs made by various people and combined them to increase the strength of the model.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:22 AM, Cjd223 said:

Both. I went through the parts list and swapped out expensive ones the best I could. I also took MODs made by various people and combined them to increase the strength of the model.

Nice! Those two things were my only concerns about the model - visually it looks pretty much as accurate to the movies as possible.

Another question though: If it's not too much trouble, could you specify the dimensions of the finished model please? I'm trying to evaluate where I could put this. :D

8 hours ago, danielwerner said:

Nice! Those two things were my only concerns about the model - visually it looks pretty much as accurate to the movies as possible.

Another question though: If it's not too much trouble, could you specify the dimensions of the finished model please? I'm trying to evaluate where I could put this. :D

The dimensions (Subject to change slightly) are Length: 35" , Width: 18.5" , Height: 29.5".

4 minutes ago, Redbird11 said:

C'mon Christian give us a give us something!!!:excited::excited::excited:

It's so close. Completely honest with you, 99% of the model stuff is done. There's some fixes I need to get done with the manual, and some MODs I want to test out, but the rest of what I have left to do is all fine details about the release platform, finalizing some graphics, and going through the parts list a few more times and cross-referencing with the instructions to make sure it's 100% accurate. There's a few videos I want to include with the updated manual (Such as a tutorial on putting sections together, bricklink/rebrickable basics, etc.) that I need to produce before it can all get released. I also have to go through a ton of excel data to compile the list of everyone who will be getting the manual re-release free of charge. I'm really striving for a quality beyond what I've ever attempted to achieve before, unfortunately that means a lot of extra time that I have to put in.

I'm more than excited to finally share what I've been up to with the model, just hang tight for a little longer.

Members waiting for updated instructions be like... :wink: :laugh:

b16.jpg