Sign in to follow this  
xboxtravis7992

Them Old Bands: Rubber Band Replacements for the Turaga

Recently I've been having problems with my old Turaga figures from 2001. Their Rubber Bands have been drying up and becoming britle! It's weird because they aren't played with often and are on display. They are not exposed to sunlight either, and my home is if often a rather steady temperature. Has anybody else had this problem? How should I prevent it? With what Rubber Bands should I replace the broken ones (since I fear that if I Bricklink the same ones used in 2001 that they will dry out and crack too...)

The best option is to replace the old-style rubber bands (with square cross section) with the new ones (with round cross section) which are used by Lego since 2002 I think. The old rubber bands are extremely weak and don't last very long, so I don't think there's any way to prevent them from breaking.

I think there exist rubber bands for use as hair ties that are more or less the same size and material as the old ones from the Turaga. That might be a cheaper option than BrickLink, if you can find the right size.

The new round cross section rubber bands from more current LEGO sets would probably last longer than the old ones, though they'd stand out a bit more due to the small ones being white instead of black.