I have corrected the two issues with the red ratchet and the vertical placement of the gear assembly beneath. Nice spot @Innocity

Have uploaded the new instructions and updated images.

As for the timings. Here is a photo of how mine is set up. All gears are the same from start to end.

At the furthest right position, all gears stop at the vertical point.

800x450.jpg

I got the module out again for the above photo and a video demo below. As you can see, it works fine and doesn't drop anything.

All I can say, is that this is the arrangement which works for me.

I never understood why the original instructions went with Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Pin Hole (32184) as Akiyuki never used them and it just made it worse. The very first change I made with the original version was to return it back to the Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thin (6632) which he used.

So yeah, I never mention the Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Pin Hole (32184) as it was not in any of his designs for Cup-to-Cup and isn't in my instructions either.

8 hours ago, Ankoku said:

I have corrected the two issues with the red ratchet and the vertical placement of the gear assembly beneath. Nice spot @Innocity

Have uploaded the new instructions and updated images.

As for the timings. Here is a photo of how mine is set up. All gears are the same from start to end.

At the furthest right position, all gears stop at the vertical point.

800x450.jpg

I got the module out again for the above photo and a video demo below. As you can see, it works fine and doesn't drop anything.

All I can say, is that this is the arrangement which works for me.

I never understood why the original instructions went with Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Pin Hole (32184) as Akiyuki never used them and it just made it worse. The very first change I made with the original version was to return it back to the Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thin (6632) which he used.

So yeah, I never mention the Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Pin Hole (32184) as it was not in any of his designs for Cup-to-Cup and isn't in my instructions either.

If the balls falling from the spiral lift fall a little earlier or the first cup moves a little further down, I think my module will show perfect running.

Do your modules show perfect running at the fastest speeds?

3 hours ago, Ankoku said:

The speed doesn't really make any odds, fast or slow. Runs the same.

I returned the first gear to its original position and tried for correct running.

In theory, receiving a falling ball from the spiral lift was no problem, but if the balls falling at the spiral lift were not at the same speed, the first cup would not receive the ball.

So I decided to modify the spiral lift part and lifted up the 'spiral lift body' a little.

As a result it showed correct running. I don't know if it is related to not using macaroni tile (27925), 2x2 round tile (15535).

And I think 'cup to cup' will certainly work well at low speeds than at high speeds.

Do we have any evidence that the Akiyuki Invisible Lift actually uses 2 x Technic, Gear 24 Tooth Clutch (60c01)? In the Japan Brickfest 2015 video, although it is using 2 x Technic, Gear 12 Tooth Double Bevel (32270), it is using them because the Technic, Gear 24 Tooth (2nd Version - 1 Axle Hole) (3648) is offset, not because there are 2 slip clutch gears. There only seems to be 1 in the image.

Slip_Clutch.png

The two questions which this raises are:

Is the 2nd slip clutch required?

If it is required, why is it not needed in Akiyuki's version?

Yeah, he seemed to go through a phase of adding that to everything, after the fact.

e.g. Cup-to-Cup didn't have one originally, but he added it for v1.2

That said, it is unrelated as to why we are now on Double Slip Clutch in the reverse engineered instructions, but not on any appearances of Akiyuki's module that I can find.

Basically, I am wondering if it appeared at a show, in an interview, there are some photos or something, showing double clutch, or whether it was just added by the person who reverse engineered it.

i think the fact the latch cant be fitted without moving it one stud forward is one reason, it works fine with the two clutch gears

Yeah, but the suggestion is, from the original model, that the 2nd clutch isn't needed and if it is, then something is amiss. e.g. the reverse engineered version require more torque than the original.

The reverse engineered version, doesn't even have the ratchet system. So the additional clutch doesn't relate to that.

1 hour ago, Ankoku said:

Yeah, but the suggestion is, from the original model, that the 2nd clutch isn't needed and if it is, then something is amiss. e.g. the reverse engineered version require more torque than the original.

The reverse engineered version, doesn't even have the ratchet system. So the additional clutch doesn't relate to that.

maybe one clutch is too weak?

1 hour ago, Ankoku said:

It doesn't seem necessary. Perhaps 'Therebricker' was trying to fill the space with clutch gear to prevent the gears from slipping on the Axle.

This module works with both reverse and forward spin of the motor, but the running is not the same. So it appears to have used a red ratchet and Akiyuki seems to have tried to set the rule by running his modules by turning the 9V regulator's dial clockwise.

1 hour ago, Innocity said:

It doesn't seem necessary. Perhaps 'Therebricker' was trying to fill the space with clutch gear to prevent the gears from slipping on the Axle.

This module works with both reverse and forward spin of the motor, but the running is not the same. So it appears to have used a red ratchet and Akiyuki seems to have tried to set the rule by running his modules by turning the 9V regulator's dial clockwise.

this module cant run backwards, the cams lock against the lifters

12 minutes ago, 9v system said:

this module cant run backwards, the cams lock against the lifters

I checked the structure of the module and you are right.

I remember running for backwards for a while, but it might have been running for a while and then stopped.

Just now, Innocity said:

I checked the structure of the module and you are right.

I remember running for backwards for a while, but it might have been running for a while and then stopped.

it works better with the 2 clutch gears anyway @Ankoku

and yes it only runs in one direction

Courbet's instructions showed the gears' phase well, I could build it without much difficulty.
Special thanks to Courbet.

I've been running the Invisible Lift on events for more than 25 days. I believe that's more than Akiyuki did as I did not see his machine on Japan Brickfest for some time now. At the start it dropped many balls but after small modifications and fine tuning it hardly drops balls any more.

Speaking from experience, the double clutch in my opinion has no function as it is too strong. When a ball drops and blocks the mechanism the double clutch does not slip so a gear somewhere else gives way. The double clutch has a function when running in opposite direction as the machine blocks completely as 9V already mentioned. I expect 1 clutch gear is too weak as the Invisible Lift is not a machine that runs smoothly, also not with lubrication. My machine is on its third XL motor, per 7 running days one XL motor gets destroyed!

I recommend building the machine, run it for prolonged time and go from there instead of 'theorizing' everything to the bone up front.

Well, it sounds like my theorizing is correct. I am currently building, which is why I am asking.

The whole reason I got so much of the Ball Factory corrected was because I asked questions. Why was it different to the original? Why did the original work better?

As someone else has done, I am curious about running it off 2 XL motors. Will run it off 1 initially.

What does and doesn't make it into BrickFest each year from Akiyuki is a bit of a mystery. Some I would expect to see aren't there, otherwise I am left surprised that they are left out. I am guessing if it is a motor destroyer, he may not be that fussed.

@Ankoku akiyuki also went though his older modules and added the black locking thing on the end, but lately his last few modules have them omitted, i wonder why? i add them to these ones when i finish building them

38 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

I don't think he ever find much use for them. e.g. nice idea, just not that practical in reality.

i quite like the system as it locks all the module together

The trigger of this module is not reliable, so it is not suitable for long running GBC layout.
This module only appears in Akiyuki's GBC 2012 Layout, and after that we can't see it because of the reliability of running this module.It's been a long time since I've taken these modules out and running them, so please understand that the balls are falling a lot.

Starting to notice the differences now.

With The ReBricker instructions, you have this:
Grabber_ReBricker.jpg

Which doesn't match the original here:

Grabber_Akiyuki.jpg

Now in this case, Akiyuki is using an obscure piece, so I can see the reason for the change, but it means the rods sit at a different position, which made me wonder if it works as well.

So I had a look at @Berthil's to see if he kept with it and it seems not.

Grabber_Berthil.jpg

So I can only assume that this results in a better working version.

Since I have the obscure piece, I will give it a shot and see if it works well or not.

No idea why some of the black thin liftarms got changed to yellow.

This module is a compact GBC module with 711pcs.
There is no timing setup. That's why this module is suitable for beginners.

3 hours ago, Ankoku said:

So I had a look at @Berthil's to see if he kept with it and it seems not.

I've made other changes to keep the ball unloader of the Invisible Lift in one piece as it would desintegrate after prolonged running. Why is in the description with the photo.

42275433322_0ef869275f_c.jpg

28450545288_fec2bf8836_c.jpg